Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External Harddrive is capoot - How to retrieve files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Harddrive is capoot - How to retrieve files?

Hi guys just a shout out for help.

I got a WD 500GIG External harddrive that "My Computer" isn't reading. Got of the phone with WD Tech support and they've asked me to send it back for replacement. However I'd like to know if theres anyway I can retrieve files first.

Thanks in advance.

It's got an I/O error, hasn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
      Damm this is where I show how little I know.

I've got no error message, but for us dummies what's I/O?

Further to earlier post though, the external drive is also not getting recognized by the "disk manager" however it does come up in the device manager.

Comment

chances are files can be recovered....
        The data is on the magnetic platters sealed on the inside of the casing...
        Usually when a HDD dies, its the interface electronics on the outside.

The easiest way is to swap the interface boards with another known working HDD. (which is probablt the first thing WD will do - meaning you will possible get your HDD back with all the original data... but you cant guarantee it. It may be easier/better for customer relations for them to send you a new/repaired one and look at fixing your actual one later.)

This is a long shot, and sounds silly, but sometimes friends and I have recovered HDDs temporarily by putting it in the freezer (in a sealed bag so it doesnt get moisture on it) for a couple of hours. In some cases this has allowed the HDD to work long enough to copy the data we needed before heating back up and stopping again. (then send it back to the manufacturer to replace without the fear of losing data).
        Depends on what has died, but this MAY work for you.

edit - Also - just noted... if its an external HDD, it could be the "external drive interface" that has died. Are you savy enough or know anyone else who can open up the case, remove the HDD and hook it up directly to a motherboard?
        (may void waranty depending on your situation and what you purchased etc... ie a complete unit from the manfacturer may not allow for someone to swap HDDs under waranty)

Comment

Is it a USB connection to your cumputer?
          I've burnt out so many USB ports on my various computers, it could be as simple as trying a different port.
          Originally posted by Desmo
          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

It's a WD drive.
            I'll bet my left knacker that it's a controller board issue.

Comment

Please see: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...ur-shit-86789/

In future.
              If you can... you MUST!

Comment

You just restore from backup.

Oh, you have no backup?

Data Recovery Services
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                  My missus' drive has this issue and I can't seem to get the HD working. Have directly attached it to an IDE port on my motherboard and it still has issues. Is there something you know, Desmo?

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Does the hard drive actually spin when you plug it into a computer? You should be able to hear it.

My portable just died yesterday... and the HD doesn't even spin when connected.

Comment

i had the power transformer die on one of these , took 6 weeks and 2 go's to get it replaced

Comment

^_^
                        Originally posted by Sentry View Post
                        My missus' drive has this issue and I can't seem to get the HD working. Have directly attached it to an IDE port on my motherboard and it still has issues. Is there something you know, Desmo?
                        I/O errors usually mean that it can't access the disk surface or controller interface. If it's not had physical damage, then it's most likely the controller board...

I was getting I/O errors when I had a stuck armature on my WD drive after it got kicked over.

Comment

Originally posted by RibEye View Post
                          Further to earlier post though, the external drive is also not getting recognized by the "disk manager" however it does come up in the device manager.
                          Then the HDD is probably rooted, but the external case chipset is probably ok.

I had a external maxtor 320gb which did exactly the same thing. Had to reset it a few times for it to come up in disk manager. Eventually that grew to a few 10's of times, and then it wouldn't come up all together. No SMART errors. No power problems. Just occasional loud clicks as the needle kept trying to find its track.
                          I got an RMA from Seagate(maxtor), but before I sent it in, I chucked the HDD into the freezer for half an hour (some tip from the interwebs).

Plugged it in, it mounted straight up.
                          Suffice to say, a set of frozen steaks let me copy all my data off ^_^

Since then, my shitty maxtor got replaced with a newer seagate, with 0 power-on hours. ^_^

Comment

Peeps do ya self a favour & use laptop HDD based external rigs, generally more a robust design & can be faster.

More dosh & less capacity tho.

What's more important robustness or capacity? I have sold many to my clients and have yet to have one fail.

If both aspects are important then buy a NAS with RAID5 but it's gonna burn a hole in ya bank balance.

HTH
                            .. and thats Racer # 193 to y'all; my fabulous sponsors (who all do good shit) are: Graeme Fleming IT Consultants, Vision Image, Pacific Safety Wear, Excess Power Equipment, Pro Photo Booth

.. and according to Sean'o: 'get the Kwaka (never thought i would say that!)'

Comment

The 2.5" external drives are also so much more convenient for moving things around - they're usually self powered, and most models don't require the special 'double adapter' USB cables on computers less than a few years old.

With 500GB drives now around $150, they're not actually *that* expensive, and seem to survive knocks/drops better than the 3.5" desktop counterparts whilst powered on.

Comment

Working...
                              X