rewiring a house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rewiring a house?

so i sold my house in Albany (just in nick of time i thought, as i'm broke.) one of the conditions of sale was that i fit hard wired smoke alarms and RCD switches, which i was fine with (cost of a few hundred).
    the sparkie went to fit them, but then refused to because the house is single insulated wiring and then quoted me $6000 for a complete rewire.

any sparkies on PSB that could offer advice in regards to if it's really needed and if so, how i get the cost down?

i just dont have the $ for this.
    euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Bugger.

I believe there is a provision in the smoke alarm laws that say where its not possible to install hard wired ones, special battery ones with these 10 yr batteries are allowed. Might be worth seeing if you can get away with that, although if you've put it in the sale contract then you might be stuck.

Did the electrician say that it was a legal requirement to get the place rewired?

Comment

Originally posted by euphoric View Post
      so i sold my house in Albany (just in nick of time i thought, as i'm broke.) one of the conditions of sale was that i fit hard wired smoke alarms and RCD switches, which i was fine with (cost of a few hundred).
      the sparkie went to fit them, but then refused to because the house is single insulated wiring and then quoted me $6000 for a complete rewire.

any sparkies on PSB that could offer advice in regards to if it's really needed and if so, how i get the cost down?

i just dont have the $ for this.
      If the existing wiring is dangerous then the electrician is actually meant to report it to the office of energy. However although not the best method of wiring if it's in good condition then it should be OK.

If existing wiring is OK but he doesn't want to wire from it then he can run a new circuit just for the the smoke alarm. He should still be able to install the RCD switches.

But seeing as hes already had a look and is unlikely to backtrack now just get someone else to look at it. either way your up for a few bucks.

Comment

just call a different sparky...
        Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
        "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

I think you will find the sparkie is correct and it will now come down to getting a couple of quotes to price check. I would assume that the house is relatively old?
          They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by dr00 View Post
            just call a different sparky...
            yep getting someone else to have a look later in the week, just wanted to be informed a little when speaking to the next guy. and after also reading on the web it seems my legal obligation re:sale of contract can be done without rewiring, as mentioned above via a new circuit for smoke alarms.

However, despite being on the bones of my arse i am cursed with personal ethics and integrity and will at least discuss it with the buyers and look at meeting some of the cost as far as making their new home safe (if that is indeed what is needed).
            euphoric, ZRX1200R, XSR900, XR400

Comment

Working...
            X