Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does the internet know where you are?

Find Me | Loki - Precise Location for Websites

The idea is AFAIK, that the same google cars that have plotted the maps also went wardriving, recording information about wireless access points (like mac addresses, rough locations), and they've added it all into this big database.

I'm not exactly sure how it works, but when you click on the above link, it loads a small java API, and can pinpoint on google maps with scary accuracy where abouts you are. From what I can gather, it uses your wireless card to find out what other access points are around that you can see, checks to see if any of those are in the database, and can figure out where you are.

Let me know if it works, I'm curious. Doesn't really work with access points that haven't been around that long (doesn't work for me at work), may not find you at all.

It knows where my house is :o

An applet from "LOKI.COM" is requesting unrestricted access to your computer....

Comment

quotin for captain obvious up hurr ^^
      Originally posted by lee View Post
      it loads a small java API

Comment

Couldn't find me

Originally posted by Semi
        I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Couldnt find me, and the google car never went past my house...
          It has a dual purpose. ~ Tom Smitheringale

Comment

Api didnt get my wireless card, however when i typed in my street it was dead on
            http://www.insearchofacocktail.com - Check it!

Originally posted by lee
            how is that erotic? that's some chick laying on a towel on the floor with her hand down some where's wally knickers with preposterously sized fake cans and shaving rash around her hooch.

Comment

Doesn't work (I dont have a wireless adapter)

Wouldn't work for me anyway, neighbours are too far away to pick up a wireless signal.
              "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

didnt do anything for me either.

Comment

Doesn't need to wardrive either, the unlocated users that type in their address will do that for them..
                  "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

I believe they did it once around to collect data, my source is far from reliable though.

I'll just say now, it's mainly intended for public (unsecured) AP's like in cafe's, etc etc. Don't be suprised it doesn't find you. It did find my place in vic park though, which is interesting.

Comment

Scary... found me in Como. 'spose it helps having Wireless N gear, thankfully with WPA2...

Not my address, I live on Coode, I dragged it to someone elses house for the sake or privacy.

Comment

Follow up campaign to the Dorchester Run anybody?
                        "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Reasonably close for me - only out by a hundred metres or so.

Comment

How the fuck?

EDIT: It got me right on. This is scary.

Comment

Loki could not locate you
                              You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Working...
                              X