Nokia 5800 - any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nokia 5800 - any good?

Am thinking of getting this as my new phone.

Does anyone have it? Any good?

I've looked at reviews online, but half of them are "omg i lv dis fone <3"
    Originally posted by vk6hgr
    My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

The wife has one, it's not to bad at all and now with the Nikia store IVO or something like that you can get apps like some phones around. She has the 18 month free Nokia music the only thing there is DRM copyrights . Touch screen and landscape

Comment

IMO, the interface is clunky and horrible... But if you can get around that, then you will be fine as it is a good phone.
      The people I've spoken to who have it usually love it, I'm yet to meet too many disappointed owners.

Daise, do you like the way Nokia's are set out?
      IIRC, you had a SE K800i (fantastic phone) and a Blackberry at one point, so I'm not too sure of your recent experience with Nokia operating systems... This is Nokia's first touch screen and also the first S60v5 phone Nokia have released (S60v5 is the Operating System) so it is bound to have a few quirks in the layout/navigation.
      If you like Nokia's, you will look past its shortcomings here... If you don't have a special love for the Finns then you may curse it from time to time.

Aside from that, I've found the audio quality to be awesome. Its really loud, and doesn't distort at higher volumes either.

I find the best reviews are usually done by GSM arena, so have a look if you haven't already

Comment

Had mine for about 3 months now.
        As padfoot said the interface is a little clunky compared to some of the other touch screen phones out there. However everything does work quite well and is stable. It is very good for playing music / music vids if you want.
        Web browsing is not awesome, but ok.
        If you like the way nokia phones usually navigate and work then you should find this phone quite easy to use.
        I do like the fact it comes with a stylus and you have options on the keypad layout of alphanumeric, mini qwerty, full screen qwerty and handwriting.
        I found many touch screen phones buttons are too small for the average size fingers.
        Overall battery life is actually very good if your using it mostly for sms and calls, only using gps and web browsing seems to chew a bit of juice.

Overall I'd say 7.5/10
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by padfoot View Post
          IMO, the interface is clunky and horrible... But if you can get around that, then you will be fine as it is a good phone.

If you like Nokia's, you will look past its shortcomings here... If you don't have a special love for the Finns then you may curse it from time to time.

Aside from that, I've found the audio quality to be awesome. Its really loud, and doesn't distort at higher volumes either.
          Agreed.

Originally posted by rc_sam View Post
          However everything does work quite well and is stable.
          It is very good for playing music / music vids if you want.
          Web browsing is not awesome, but ok.
          If you like the way nokia phones usually navigate and work then you should find this phone quite easy to use.
          I do like the fact it comes with a stylus and you have options on the keypad layout of alphanumeric, mini qwerty, full screen qwerty and handwriting.
          Overall battery life is actually very good if your using it mostly for sms and calls, only using gps and web browsing seems to chew a bit of juice.
          Agreed. Also had mine for about 3 months, I think it is a brilliant phone although I like the larger buttons on the touch screen as I kept getting annoyed with the tiny buttons on rival phones I think the touch sensitivity is alright but it has a few little quirks that will probably be fine tuned with a later model. I like it better than the iphone too because it doesn't have a stupid glass screen. If you will use all its features its a pretty good little phone. Just don't break it
          Nothing from something.

Comment

cbf critiquing it, but i like mine.
            If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

I had a looky on GSM Arena, but wanted to get opinions from PSB

Last time I had a Nokia it was a black and white screen :o I know Nokia has a good rep and I wanted to avoid the iGay as much as I can. The main usability for me would be music, games and pictures (although I hear the picture quality is poor?)

I loved the k800i but wanted an upgrade.
              Originally posted by vk6hgr
              My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

If you want a camera that takes better photos then perhaps look at the new N97. It's got a nice 5mp camera compared to the 3.5mp on the 5800.
                Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

With the miniscule size of phone cameras, packing in more megapickles will only make things worse, not better.
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Agree with everyone else...
                    Great phone, Sometimes glitches but thats sorted by exiting back to the main screen...

Ive dropped mine a couple of times by accident and its still good! Which surprised me because i thought it would be alot more brittle, but its got a few chips here and there and nothing major wrong with it

Only downside ive found is the shittiness of the Nokia Music store... Sure its alright if u want to find some new songs u heard on the radio or whatever, but if u want to do anything with them, its worthless
                    Christianity... It's just one woman's lie about having an affair that got seriously out of hand.

Comment

Still wouldn't trust Nokia they are a very short term phone!

Comment

Working...
                      X