The annoying stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The annoying stitch

So i've been getting into fitness lately and going for a run most days, i'm doing well but some days I get a stitch quickly which completely fucks me over.

The best theory i've found is here:

What causes a "stitch" in your side during exercise?

So apart from stopping straight away and taking deep breathes while running any other useful tips that seem to work for you guys?
    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
    1985 - 2009

Without telling you to man up, push through it.

I find if I get a stitch, I can work through it, and it goes away. Then when it comes back properly a second time it hurts like shit. It's all mental really.

Having just read that though, it might not be good for me.

Good on you for getting into the whole fitness thing though hey.
    Originally posted by Semi
    I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

Eat properly, Don't eat 3 hours before training.
      Breathe properly, long deep breathes instead of short pants.
      Don't exercise so hard? Build yourself up to that intensity.
      Free android puzzle game
      https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...TempleOfMedina

Comment

agree with teedo
        I tend not to eat about 3 hours before training except minor snacks as they tend to come up in training
        im about 6 years stitch free
        and I always use to get them when I started
        Originally posted by Lefty
        Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

+1 for not eating before your run and also dont forget your stretches and warm up?

Comment

Your diaphram isn't used to pushing so much air, you have to train your lungs as much as you have to train the rest of your body. Push through it as much as you can and try to concentrate on taking smooth controlled breaths. Short sharp breathing will only make the problem worse.
            If this isn't working for you take your mind off by concentrating on other things, check out the girl on the exercise bike in front of you or look for a perfectly round stone on the ground. If you keep up your training you'll find you can run further and faster before you get a stitch. Eventually you might not get one at all.

Come along to C2S training this Saturday, Col. Brendan will show you a thing or two about exercise
            Originally posted by Desmo
            Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Another thing to do is short warm up pre full run, ie: before I run a 12-15km set I run slowly for 1km or so, stretch for a good 5-10 mins staying warm (warming up properly is more beneficial than stretching for 30 mins with no warm up). I find if i just try and go full out i will get tired/sore/stitched about 3-4km in. If i do a proper warm up no problems

Comment

yup control your breathing as above, smooth breathes instead of panting…… then the lungs have the right amount of o2 to deal with…

Comment

oh and don't be scared to actually try and support the problem area...

Put your hand on the area and dig your fingers in under and up a touch. Find it works a treat...

Only thing that actually works. Over time you're body will adapt.
                  Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                  One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                  . .

Comment

Cheers fellas..

I'll stop eating so close to exercise and concentrate on breathing more, see how i go
                    Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                    1985 - 2009

Comment

Don't run flat out. Mix it up, slow then fast...kind of like sex

Comment

Originally posted by BrenR1 View Post
                        Don't run flat out. Mix it up, slow then fast...kind of like sex
                        So you mean only do it for 2 minutes?

hurr hurrr I am teh funneez

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow78 View Post
                          oh and don't be scared to actually try and support the problem area...

Put your hand on the area and dig your fingers in under and up a touch. Find it works a treat...

Only thing that actually works. Over time you're body will adapt.

Find thats my best solution

Comment

Working...
                          X