computer slow to load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer slow to load

Hey guys/gals.. my computer works fine once started ; however only noticed a few weeks ago that it take a few min more (5mins) than usual to start up. I have no movies, photos and only a handful of music (limewire) stored. I've defragged continously clean through adaware. Anything else I can do?

Pay someone to fix it?

Comment

run a virus scanner
      "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Depends how keen you are to speed things up. If very keen, back up your computer and reinstall windows. If semi-keen, run msconfig and get rid of what is not needed, if partly keen do a virus scan and leave it there. Be warned, however, msconfig can bite you in the arse if you dont know what you are doing. And if a re-install is daunting, get someone else to do it (be prepared to pay for it).
        Remember, computers only slow down when extra programs and/or hardware is installed. I have a computer that has loaded fast for 6 years because nothing ever changes. Think back to what you did right before it slowed down, and now dont do it again.
        Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

run msconfig and check what runs on startup...
          Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

There's some good guides if you Google.

Comment

I have been told limewire is full of viruses, im pretty sure that site is what helped fuck up my last computer, so i dont go on it now!

Comment

Originally posted by McGoo View Post
                Depends how keen you are to speed things up. If very keen, back up your computer and reinstall windows. If semi-keen, run msconfig and get rid of what is not needed, if partly keen do a virus scan and leave it there. Be warned, however, msconfig can bite you in the arse if you dont know what you are doing. And if a re-install is daunting, get someone else to do it (be prepared to pay for it).
                Remember, computers only slow down when extra programs and/or hardware is installed. I have a computer that has loaded fast for 6 years because nothing ever changes. Think back to what you did right before it slowed down, and now dont do it again.
                ^^+1

Limewire is full of junk - don't use it.

I suggest downloading and running a little program called CCleaner. It's harmless and the clean tool may speed your comp up. Run it on your registry and your temporary files and see how that works. Has always been a reliable quick fix for me with no problems.

Failing that, reformatting is probably your only option. If you want a hand - PM me.
                Nothing from something.

Comment

Never Install Limewire in...
                  C:/Progra~/Limewire
                  I love the fact that I used Limewire (trial) to download Limewire.

Comment

Working...
                  X