Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career advice, I'm doing it wrong.

'Ola.

My names Terry and I'm 20. At the end of this year I will finish my degree in Product Design at Curtin, (there's a likely hood I might stick around to do honours in my field too). The plan at the moment stands to form a buisness (it's secret ) and form a career out of it. However the nature of my buisness is fraught with uncertainty, whilst optimistic in demand for my services and my capabilities, ie it will all work out dandy - it does not really reflect the fact that I may not make financially viable career, it has every chance to fall flat on it's face/not generate enough revenue to be a sole source of income.

My thoughts at the moment are leaning towards spending maybe a year or so away from uni, forumlating my buisness and bassically testing it out to see how it works in the real world - if it appears that my anxieties are true and that it is indeed not a viable sole source of income, I'm going to seek a second career/job to supliment my total income. After my hiatus from Uni I'm looking at re-enrolling and getting into any one of the possible fields, I'm trying to be broad (within reason) so feel free to suggest any other fields you think are suitable/intresting.

Here is a rough guide on what I tend to identify as my rough Strengths and Weaknesses.

Strengths:
    Interpersonal, Creative, Problem solving, Design skills,

Weaknesses:
    Mathematics/Physics/Chemistry (I've got intermediate levels of understanding of these topics but any career based heavily on these I will likely to struggle in)

That's a preety basic overview of what I am like, so that in mind most the fields I've picked out are from Humanities at Curtin.

So if anyone has expierience in any of the fields, please pipe up and let me know some more:

Graphic Design
    Urban and Regional Planning
    Construction Management
    Interiour Design

Would be appreciated if you used this template so it's easy to distinguish.

Title: (Name of the job title)
    What's involved: (indepth description of what the job is and what type of work is done)
    Demand: (both involvement in the job/work required and the actual demand for people in this field)
    Salary: (rough average salary, feel free to include Salary/experience figures too)
    Additional information: (anything you feel is important or worthwhile knowing)

Passion drives success, if passionate enough whatever adventure you desire will come. Sometimes you need to take a step back before you go forwards, sometimes in take years to develop but if it makes you happy then don’t be shy.

For artists, it is only when they die there is recognition but they have lived a life of passion.
    Last edited by PowerStand; 16-08-2009, 11:33 PM.
    I don’t ride to get to the end, I ride for that moment

Hop scotch, skip rope, tunnel ball & football, all the same to me
    If you cant ride it or fuck it, then its not sport

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...photos-100704/

Battlefeild 3 name = 5th_Eye

Comment

Dude if you want people to actually read your post, may i suggest that you change your avatar?
      Can you help with foster care?
      http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

can't help you,

but a side note; you spelt business wrong a few times...

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Explosion View Post
          Dude if you want people to actually read your post, may i suggest that you change your avatar?
          Roger, its posted by a hairy fat bald guy down on his luck.
          I don’t ride to get to the end, I ride for that moment

Hop scotch, skip rope, tunnel ball & football, all the same to me
          If you cant ride it or fuck it, then its not sport

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...photos-100704/

Battlefeild 3 name = 5th_Eye

Comment

My dad works with people in small business and trains them in similar circumstances, so I am a little familiar with what it takes in your situation:

With due respect, you're still very young, and business sense comes with experience not just a piece of paper saying you're qualified in some kind of field. There are things they just don't teach you at uni. You will need some basic skills to start a business - management, marketing, reporting, financial, business sense (I'm not talking about theory but practice). You may get this through a specific practically-oriented course, but I think the best way is to get yourself a job and work for a couple of years. Although you could start a business keeping it afloat is the hard part. Something to think about.

Your idea won't go anywhere, it will still be a viable opportunity in a few years time once you've learned some basic business skills from a real job.

Working in another job full time and starting your business on the side is also a good way to ensure you are financially afloat while you get it started. If it proves viable you can always leave one for the other, if it does not, you won't fall flat on your ass.

Hope it helps anyway, good luck with your venture.
            Nothing from something.

Comment

mate im glad i can help

i JUST graduated last year from product design in curtin, and can i say its a piece of CRAP course...

maybe its me but half way through 2nd year, u should have realised that the standard of teaching IS NO WHERE NEAR on part with our eastern counter parts such as Monash and RMIT. Curtin skims on the surface of everything and does not go into depth about anything

I was gutted but decided to finish what i have started, but in all honesty, utterly disappointed with the course!!!!

Did u have Ting as ur teacher in any class? he graduated with honours and WORKED AT TARGET!
              i think he stated tat 80% of us wont find a job in the industry

secondly there is near to no product design industry in perth, u have to go east or asia, something that i am not keen to do, and if u go east, u have to compare yourself with all the industrial graduates from RMIT and Monash, and no offence, i doubt very few of us are in the same standards!

what sort of business are u looking at studying, I was about to do the same myself with a mate, but pulled out!
              Go do yourself a favour, attend the Small Business Seminars held by the govt, i think its about 8 classes in total and covers everything from marketing to taxation!
              Really opens your eyes and puts u into reality that a small business is alot harder than u might think it is!

So for me personally, i have given up on Product Design, as far as im concerned I paid 15 grand for a piece of graduate paper!
              i have since moved on an pursued a different career

for anyone asking if they should do design at curtin, i say DONT do product, do grahics or muiltimedia, but all the best for what ever u persue,
              i really hope that someone can make a career out of the curtin degree,
              hope u prove me wrong, and im certain that if u have enough drive, anything is possible!!

hows your grades if u dont mind me asking??

Comment

Originally posted by bobinatcat View Post
                can't help you,

but a side note; you spelt business wrong a few times...
                Cool.

Originally posted by zed7fiddy View Post
                My dad works with people in small business and trains them in similar circumstances, so I am a little familiar with what it takes in your situation:

With due respect, you're still very young, and business sense comes with experience not just a piece of paper saying you're qualified in some kind of field. There are things they just don't teach you at uni. You will need some basic skills to start a business - management, marketing, reporting, financial, business sense (I'm not talking about theory but practice). You may get this through a specific practically-oriented course, but I think the best way is to get yourself a job and work for a couple of years. Although you could start a business keeping it afloat is the hard part. Something to think about.

Your idea won't go anywhere, it will still be a viable opportunity in a few years time once you've learned some basic business skills from a real job.

Working in another job full time and starting your business on the side is also a good way to ensure you are financially afloat while you get it started. If it proves viable you can always leave one for the other, if it does not, you won't fall flat on your ass.

Hope it helps anyway, good luck with your venture.
                Thanks for the advice, yeh considering that reply below, if my business does not work out my chances of getting any type of degree within my industry is slim, like mentioned before, the guys over east are far more capable and better equiped for the industry then we are over here.

I've been told a few times to look into a small business course to get some idea about what I'm doing, luckily part of my course encompasses things like branding and marketing, which can equip me somewhat. But like you mentioned, a lot of things have to be learnt through actually running the venture, not just learning via uni.

You are very correct when you mentioned the idea not going away, I guess part of my personality is I'm very impatient so I feel the need to get this idea off the ground as soon as I can, when realistically 5 years from now I could start it up and it could pan out exactly the same.

I completly agree with your sentiments about my age, I often forget how young I am and I should probally just slow down and just enjoy my youth, rather then fretting over my future.

Originally posted by poko_pano View Post
                mate im glad i can help

i JUST graduated last year from product design in curtin, and can i say its a piece of CRAP course...

maybe its me but half way through 2nd year, u should have realised that the standard of teaching IS NO WHERE NEAR on part with our eastern counter parts such as Monash and RMIT. Curtin skims on the surface of everything and does not go into depth about anything

I was gutted but decided to finish what i have started, but in all honesty, utterly disappointed with the course!!!!

Did u have Ting as ur teacher in any class? he graduated with honours and WORKED AT TARGET!
                i think he stated tat 80% of us wont find a job in the industry

secondly there is near to no product design industry in perth, u have to go east or asia, something that i am not keen to do, and if u go east, u have to compare yourself with all the industrial graduates from RMIT and Monash, and no offence, i doubt very few of us are in the same standards!

what sort of business are u looking at studying, I was about to do the same myself with a mate, but pulled out!
                Go do yourself a favour, attend the Small Business Seminars held by the govt, i think its about 8 classes in total and covers everything from marketing to taxation!
                Really opens your eyes and puts u into reality that a small business is alot harder than u might think it is!

So for me personally, i have given up on Product Design, as far as im concerned I paid 15 grand for a piece of graduate paper!
                i have since moved on an pursued a different career

for anyone asking if they should do design at curtin, i say DONT do product, do grahics or muiltimedia, but all the best for what ever u persue,
                i really hope that someone can make a career out of the curtin degree,
                hope u prove me wrong, and im certain that if u have enough drive, anything is possible!!

hows your grades if u dont mind me asking??
                Good to hear from a fellow student. I agree completly, I think the vast majority of the students in our course are destined to work in careers other then our degree.

Exaclty like you mentioned, if my venture does not work out my entire degree will go to waste, the Design industry in Perth seems so small at the moment - that said I've actually got a couple of good leads at the moment, I can't really say how they will pan out as they are in the early stages.

In terms of my grades, I'm a bit short of 80%, from memory I've got a relativly good standing to do honours.

Yeh Ting is in my class right now, I think things for him are starting to look up a bit, but the outlook for the huge majority of us is preety bleak. Several guys from my year are looking at doing honours at RMIT to bolster their chances.

Yeh the reason I'm now considering a second degree is mostly because I'm becoming really worried it will fail completly, and given say 5 years of my time and monetary investment could return sweet fuck all and leave me in a bad position. I'm still keen as hell to give it a whirl, but I need a plan B, hence why I've considering another degree.

Good luck to you too mate, preety cut throat industry we got ourselves into.

Comment

Originally posted by Logos View Post
                  Cool.

In terms of my grades, I'm a bit short of 80%, from memory I've got a relativly good standing to do honours.

thats pretty decent grades mate

good on ya

with grades like tat i really think u should go do a honours over east so tat u dont "just" have the curtin degree, then look for work over there too

im glad to see someone with such a good average

just put urself out there and all the best for the exhibition at the end of the yr

the idea is throw urself at the exhibition
                  go mingle, bring ur best pieces of furniture and work

u never know, one of my classmates managed to sell his design and made quite a reasonable profit

all the best mate
                  i like to see where u head with this degree

Comment

Originally posted by Logos View Post
                    I completly agree with your sentiments about my age, I often forget how young I am and I should probally just slow down and just enjoy my youth, rather then fretting over my future.
                    It's not as much about age as it is about inexperience. I've been at uni now for close to 4.5 years but I have also been out in the world for a few years which has put me far ahead of others without that kind of experience. Just something to think about. Take it slow, get some experience behind you and start it up gradually and see how you fret. My dad sees too many people jump into small business with a limited idea about the vast considerations necessary to succeed. I'd hate to see you make that mistake, so something to think about anyway.
                    Nothing from something.

Comment

Working...
                    X