Travel and Immunisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel and Immunisation

I know, I know, there are websites with lists of vaccinations recommended for whatever destination. But they're typically run by the places that also just coincidentally happen to sell the consults and the shots!

So I ask the veritable source of galactic truth (ie PS:

I goin to bali. What shots?
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

why not just go to your GP? they should be able to tell you and do it for WAY less than any of the shitty travel doctors charge...

At a guess, I would say it is:
    Typhoid
    Hepatitis
    Tetanis

Comment

Well I'm not a doctor, but... if I was, then I would know, because that's the kind of thing doctors know

Comment

Hey CS i am off to Bali as well never thought about shots BUT please let us know what you have found out

Comment

Been 8 times no shots just take some immodium for those awkward moments, although bali belly i reckon is just from all the fruit juice you'll consume, just don't drink from the tap, you'll be right.

Comment

+1 for doctors. Sure, you'll pay for it but you'll be thankful for the advice. Oh, and don't drink the water and when you order a drink, order it with no ice. Safest bet.

"Always out-numbered, never out-gunned"

Comment

Originally posted by HughDMan View Post
              Been 8 times no shots just take some immodium for those awkward moments, although bali belly i reckon is just from all the fruit juice you'll consume, just don't drink from the tap, you'll be right.
              agree
              going for my 4th trip to bali this Sunday
              never had a problem with any sickness at all
              just be sure to drink lots of water (bottled only) and you will be fine

edit: only 5 more sleeps yay

Comment

I travel abroad a fair bit and cant remember the last time I had any shots. I think the common check list applies-

Women
                Tap water
                Backyard eatery
                Bus windows

If you answer yes to eating, drinking or licking any of the above, GO GET SHOTS!
                User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Pato View Post
                  I travel abroad a fair bit and cant remember the last time I had any shots. I think the common check list applies-

Women
                  Tap water
                  Backyard eatery
                  Bus windows

If you answer yes to eating, drinking or licking any of the above, GO GET SHOTS!
                  your answer wins!

Comment

Originally posted by Pato View Post

Women
                    Tap water
                    Backyard eatery
                    Bus windows

What about if i use glad wrap, for the licking bit

Comment

Yes, glad wrap does work. Remember to double wrap though!
                      User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

CS, I don't think there are any actual requirements for bali, however there are things that can fuck you up for a long time that travellers can get. Obviously go and get a doctors opinion, but from my travels away on a "road less travelled" I got these ones and keep them up to date...

Hep-A - two shots (for the 1440 variety) a few months (6?) apart give you perhaps 5-10 years immunity, but is age dependant, so an old fart like you may get 5-ish. This one is a "hygene related" bug, common in Asia. Most people who get it seem to get over it OK, but if react bad it can kill and will at least result in permament liver damage. I like beer too much to risk this!:o

Hep-B - three (?) shots over 6 months gives perhaps the same protection as the A but for more "personal bugs" like body fluid contact. Yes it's more likely from sex or sharing needles, but what happens if you need a blood transfusion in Bali, and they aren't up to date on their screening? These needles go deep and hurt a little, so take a few tissues

Typhoid, last time I had it, it was tablets, gave me 10 years and a small dose of the runs. Hygene related I think, which is a common way to get a bug in Asia due to their cronic lack of appreciation of clean water.

Tetanus is always a good idea, because we don't get much exposure to "wild tetanus" in Australia which is supposed to keep our immune system in top shape.

Condoms? Always a good idea

I'd also get a few pills from the doc for the various nasty bacteria over there, because nothing ruins a holiday like the shits, and why suffer for days when a couple of tablets can clear it up in 12-24 hours? I take tabs for cryptosporidium (sp?), giardia, and amoebas, plus some others that I can't recall right now.

Perhaps a bit overboard for Bali, but where I was you could only walk out, so you had to keep going (or die )

Remember to have fun and take your beroccas
                        Dead Man's Hand
                        Internationational Porter Protection Group
                        Just call me Pat

Comment

Working...
                        X