Computer wont boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer wont boot

Hey guys. After having some issues with our "old faithful" computer, which was almost 9 years old, we made the decision to replace it with a new unit. After installing the system & getting everything set up, we have been encountering some problems on start up. The system runs through the normal start process, but gets hung up on the last screen (which stays blank, but you can move the mouse around and watch the cursor move). The system is connected to a printer & an external hard drive. When I disconnect the printer & hard drive, it starts OK. Once started I can connect these items & everything works fine.
    Does anybody have an suggestions (I'm not the most computer literate person around, but I was thinking that it could be something to do with the drivers)?

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

I've had external hd issues before with windows when changing systems.
    Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Is the disk in the portable hard dirve caddy the one from your old computer?
      "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

have you tried turning if off and on again, oh wai..

WKS^^
        Try turning it on with just the printer plugged in, then try just the hard drive.
        This will tell us if its a prob with the computer having things plugged into USB or if its a USB device causing problems
        I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

The portable drive is a new unit (WD Elements - 1 tetrabyte). It doesn't seem to make any difference with the USB connected devices. If the drive & printer are connected = no start up, if just the printer is connected = no startup & if just the drive is connected = no start up. If both are disconnected the system startup is fine.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

maybe your bios is set to boot from usb..??? and it hangs coz its looking for a
            os to boot from...

change the setting to boot order from the internal HD only and see if it sorts it...who knows

Comment

I'll bet it's trying to boot from the USB drive. Go into your BIOS settings *press the delete key while booting up you will get a menu* go through the menus until you find "Boot Sequence" or "Boot order" or similar. You should have hard disk one as your first boot device, unless you want to do a windows re-install then it should be CD-ROM first. Set all others in the sequence to "Disabled". If in future you want to boot from a USB drive just re set the boot sequence to boot USB disk first. HTH

Edit: Beaten LOL

Comment

^^ double LOL

Comment

I checked the BIOS sttings & this is what is showing:

First boot device [CDROM : SM - ASUS DRW - ]
                  Second Boot device [SATA : SS - WDC WD5001]
                  Third boost device [DISABLED]

Comment

Does it boot with just the printer attached?
                    Or just the HDD, not both?

Comment

It wont boot with either - if I disconnect one or the other it's no good. I have to disconnect both.

Comment

Do you have the latest Windows updates and checked for applicable Bios updates?

Comment

Originally posted by Roady View Post
                          maybe your bios is set to boot from usb..???
                          Originally posted by Sumfun4me View Post
                          The system runs through the normal start process, but gets hung up on the last screen (which stays blank, but you can move the mouse around and watch the cursor move)
                          OS issue.
                          Run windows update.

Comment

I ran all the available updates as part of the setting up. I'll run it again anyway, just in case.

Comment

also is your mouse a USB mouse? Or does it plug into a mouse plug P/S2
                              Run updates again and let us see how it goes
                              I was just raising hell I wasn't doing no harm, the cops could not appreciate my natural charm.

Comment

Working...
                              X