AMD Turion vs pentium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Turion vs pentium

Looking at a new laptop atm, and trying to decide between 2 similar ones.

Toshiba sattelite L500 series

Both have 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD

Difference is: One has an AMD Turion RM-77 processor, and 256MB ATI Radeon graphics

The other has a Pentium Dual Core 2.1GHz and onboard graphics.

They're about the same price, but the second has $100 cashback via redemption.

Opinions?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Going to be playing games?

Comment

Probably not much. Occasional stuff maybe. Can't really stretch the budget any further, would one of those be better than the other?
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Pentium.

Comment

Any particular reason? the amd is 2.3 vs the pentium 2.1

Comment

Specsheet bonar Semi, Specsheet bonar....

Comment

I'm not saying that I should get that one, but why is the pentium better? I'm thinking more that the AMD would be better because it had the seperate graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
                I'm not saying that I should get that one, but why is the pentium better? I'm thinking more that the AMD would be better because it had the seperate graphics?
                If you're playing games or doing video editing then get the AMD, the pentium will handle day to day tasks better. i doubt the difference between them will be huge.

Comment

OK thanks. I'll probably get the pentium then, since it comes with cashback.

Comment

spend the $100 cashback on graphics card = win?

Comment

Yeah, thinking about it. Is it simple to install a graphics card on a lappy? Im guessing it'lll have a slot for one, seeing as the other model comes with one.

Comment

they won't have the same motherboard. can't you customize it with a graphics card?
                        "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

No, its from a shop.

Comment

Re: AMD Turion vs pentium

Originally posted by Semi
                            Yeah, thinking about it. Is it simple to install a graphics card on a lappy? Im guessing it'lll have a slot for one, seeing as the other model comes with one.
                            It can't be done mate.

Comment

Even if you were to be playing games, that AMD still couldn't play any "newish" game at playable frame rates. Unless you spend big dollars on a laptop ($2k+) you won't get anything that can play newer games respectably.

Anyway, Pentium FTW

Comment

Working...
                              X