Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got offered a job at the mines - advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got offered a job at the mines - advice please!

Hello PSB,

How are you? I have a massive decision to make and I know a lot of people on here are involved in the mining industry so I was hoping to get a little advice.

I currently work full-time as an operations manager at a call centre, I deal mainly with managing the network and information systems as well as managing the telephony side of things and dealing with clients and managing a few staff. I've been here for 5 years, the only step up is General Manager and no thanks. Bit sick of working at a desk and looking for a change and some extra dollars. Please keep in mind I've learnt everything at this job on the job, looking at further education but don't have the time at the moment, so no quals in this industry anyway other than 5 years experience here.

On Monday night I was given the opportunity to work for a mining company (forgot the name but I have the number and a contact there), the description of the job was "pulling rods". I have no idea what that means and didn't ask cause I was smashed. It's 4 weeks on, 2 off and pay is $300-$350 a day.

What I like is the idea of having a whole 2 weeks to myself every 4, I have no problem doing hard physical work, in fact I welcome it. This desk job is giving me the chubbies. I also get close to double my current income which means I will be able to afford flying lessons again and will have time to go ahead and get my license. A friend told me to make sure I have a goal and stick to it, so the pilot's license is the goal, and to pay off a few debts.

So what are these jobs like and is the switch a good idea? Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by Koola
    Someone sig this.

You're stagnating and want a change, and somebody is offering you double the pay to do exactly that?

Not a tough call at all mate, do it now while you're young. Don't blow the cash, buy a house, set yourself up for when you do want to do the family thing.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Lol, pulling rods means you'll be offsiding on a drill rig. IMHO, worst job on the planet, but hey, depending on who the company is you'll be working for, they may have some decent gear to work on. Any other job in the mining sector is better than being an offsider. Any at all.

I'd say don't do it, but you won't listen to me. Go for it.
      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
        You're stagnating and want a change, and somebody is offering you double the pay to do exactly that?

Not a tough call at all mate, do it now while you're young. Don't blow the cash, buy a house, set yourself up for when you do want to do the family thing.
        Oh yeah got me one them house things already with my girlfriend, dog and all, hence not being able to afford the flying lessons at the moment

Originally posted by Ferris View Post
        Lol, pulling rods means you'll be offsiding on a drill rig. IMHO, worst job on the planet, but hey, depending on who the company is you'll be working for, they may have some decent gear to work on. Any other job in the mining sector is better than being an offsider. Any at all.

I'd say don't do it, but you won't listen to me. Go for it.
        Cool what exactly does being an off-sider mean? Sorry I have absolutely no idea what it entails! Also what are the opportunities like for promotions from that position?
        Someone sig this.

Comment

Drillers offsider, it's ok. I did it for a year or 2, above and underground. Just use it as a stepping stone into mining mate. Get all ur tickets and move up wen the jobs pick up again.

Comment

Shit man, physical job, summer here soon, drink lots of water, wear a flynet (Flies love aerogard). You'll be in great shape sooner rather than later.

Remember, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
            "It moved"

Comment

One has to start somewhere and this is a somewhere.
              Many a person started cleaning/ Nipper or whatever and worked their way up in the minning industrie like truckdrivers etc.
              Hardest part seems to get in then you go from there.
              If you wait for the Superindendant job then Wait Awhile.

Comment

Offsiders work like dogs and come home covered in shit everyday. I lived with a few guys in the Pilbara (FIFO), they hated it and were envious of me pouring concrete and digging holes in 48°C heat, but they did it for the money and the chance to move up and be the guy that gives the orders to the shitkickers.

4/2 is a shitty roster as well. 4 weeks is an eternity when you cant do anything you like, apoart from drink piss and watch tv. Depends where you work though, those guys do get around alot.

I wouldnt do it personally.
                Originally posted by Amac
                suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

In the slight chance you didn't think of it, remember that the mining industry may equal random drug tests

Though I'm sure that's not something you'd have a problem with by any means

Comment

Originally posted by House View Post
                    In the slight chance you didn't think of it, remember that the mining industry may equal random drug tests

Though I'm sure that's not something you'd have a problem with by any means
                    Noooo...noo no no no no not me.... no no no ...

Ok yes detox would definitely be essential. What's the deal with that, something like 3 months without smoking and I should be clear?
                    Someone sig this.

Comment

About that, yeah

Maybe less depending on your build (i.e. assuming the job hasn't made you too chubby)

Comment

Go for it. The works hard, the conditions will probably suck (this will depend on who & where you're going to be working for - if your talking exploration drilling it will be tough), but the pays good & you will certainly get yourself fit. If you're young enough & your better half is OK with it, its a good opportunity for you to get ahead. I agree with what your mate said - formulate a plan & stick to it. Too many people have been through the system and walked away with nothing to show for it.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

Do you like handling muddy dirty 4m long drill rods in 40deg heat?
                          You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

I don't have advice as such... just add some things for you to consider.

$$. Now I can be sure of this but I worked out that you are working 35 weeks of the year at $350 a day then that is around $85k a year? I am presuming that is Gross and that the $350 a day is not net?? If my assumptions are right then that is not really huge dollars and you can earn that sort of money in IT/Communications I would have thought ona normal 9 to 5 job? The downside is you might need some qualifications to do that. If that is Nett then yes I can see the big attraction!

Secondly... it impacts you private life immensley... while it sounds great to have a two week holiday in every 6, think about your partner, dog, friends, sporting commitments, etc.. they all go out the window.

Especially in repsect to your partner... will she be happy only seeing you every month or so... and you will probably want to do all your own stuff when you get back to make up for the crappy work conditions and spend soem of your big $$ and apart from maybe some great "together" time when you first get back you might then be sitting around the house all day or doing fun stuff while your partner grinds out her normal daily routine which she may resent. I can't comment first hand but these are the types of comments I have heard others say.

If you dont like a desk job, then yeah maybe get out and mining is the way to go but you might be better of moving up north together if possible and then you are both sharing the experience a bit more and can both put extra $$ away and rent out your house and go from there? Of course it depends how serious your relationship is as well I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr1k View Post
                              Do you like handling muddy dirty 4m long drill rods in 40deg heat?
                              No idea... I'm not a big guy, will this be a huge disadvantage? I don't mind getting dirty and doing hard work if I'm getting paid for it.
                              Someone sig this.

Comment

Working...
                              X