Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beep Test

Hey guys,

Im after some advice within about 6 weeks im going to need to run the beep test as apart of my application process for a job. Now ive run it numerous times i know what it is and how it works what im after is advice on how to be able to get a higher level. Currently im sitting at about 9ish but i need to get to 10.1 and im finding my legs are giving in before my breathing (thats not far off though)

So really is there any form of exercise i can do to help improve my levels quicker? Currently i run 3 times a week (about 2.5-3k's) while trying to keep to 5min per km. Any advice would be great

Cheers
    Ash
    RIP ADRIAN LEE
    16-12-1986 - 22-3-2007
    I had plenty of time to rub one out in space which was great but after awhile it was like living in a snowglobe - Peter Griffin

distance running aint gunna help u mate ... the best way to train for it is by doing short distances ... like sprint 100 metres walk 50 sprint 100 ... and keep that going ... being able to run a long distance is all well and good, but yeh as you know the beep test is short distance sprints (at least when ui get past about 6)
    Vincit Omnia Veritas
    sigpic

Comment

lunges, running up/down stairs, sprints, squats and anything else that gives your legs a decent workout....

shorten your runs and up the intensity, or get some interval training happenning...

Comment

Originally posted by Kharntiitar View Post
        distance running aint gunna help u mate ... the best way to train for it is by doing short distances ... like sprint 100 metres walk 50 sprint 100 ... and keep that going ... being able to run a long distance is all well and good, but yeh as you know the beep test is short distance sprints (at least when ui get past about 6)
        B.S. When I was training for the beep test I did some pretty intense excersise twice a day, and it comprised of one massive run and one massive bike ride.

My beep increased by an entire number each week until I hit about 10(starting from 7) and then up by roughly half each week, which is a very good result. I can run 12.8's now.

The beep test is there to test your fitness levels, and it does a pretty good job, but as I was training for the army I found that long distance fitness also improved my score and would've been much more useful once I had entered the army, although that plan will no longer come to fruition.

Comment

^^^wts

sprint flat out for a short distance and slow down..den sprint flat out again and repeat the whole cycle continuously..do this over a long distance..kinda like a long run..just done differently..you'll still need the stamina gained by long runs..

otherwise just do the beep test over and over and over again until you improve..

Originally posted by HotelBushranger
          Talked to some chick today at the village that rides a GPX 250. Wasn't very friendly though, must have crabs.

Comment

well i can only go from my own experience, but when i first did it i only got to 4 (hadda get to 10) and was told to train like this ... 3 weeks later i broke ten with ease ...
            Vincit Omnia Veritas
            sigpic

Comment

Ash I would recommend interval training with the Perth Marathon Club at Perry Lakes on Tuesday nights. These are structured sessions and will cost you a gold coin to participate and you'll find it's very social. Off the back of the C2S I'm not sure what the numbers will be like but I've been down there during summer and there's been up to 100 people. Look on their website for more info and I hope that helps. OD.

Comment

Distance running is just as important as interval training, though if I were you I'd be looking to increasing your distance to closer to 5km, and gradually increase your pace. Personally, I'd avoid just running the beep test over and over again, use it as a yardstick once a week maybe, but thats about it.

If your legs are giving in before your breathing, uphill runs/sprints are a pretty good way to target them. Stretch properly afterwards though, or you'll end up sore real fast.

Most important thing is try to run with a mate, they will keep you motivated and help you push that little bit harder when you may otherwise give up.

Maybe also try mixing up your exercise a little - mix running with riding, or swimming, and throw in a few additional low intensity walking sessions to take the tension off. It doesn't all have to be about pain, after all.

Comment

I would have thought doing endurance workout with your legs would help to. Such as putting enough weight on a leg raise machine or leg curl machine etc that you would fail at 100 reps or something else quite high as that will strengthen your legs in endurance activities, since your breathing is apparently not the problem.
                  Originally Posted by Maxo
                  do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                  to Butters

Comment

thanks for the advice so far guys i'll certainly take it all into account and try different things to what i am now and see how i go! if anyone has any more suggestions feel free to add.

Officer down thanks mate they sound great hopefully i can finish work early enough to get there in time
                    RIP ADRIAN LEE
                    16-12-1986 - 22-3-2007
                    I had plenty of time to rub one out in space which was great but after awhile it was like living in a snowglobe - Peter Griffin

Comment

Working...
                    X