Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Help needed...

Hai guise,

well my PC at home won't boot up. Initially makes all the whirring noises that you'd usually expect but then nothing else happens. The screen just stays blank. There's a red light on the front of the tower to the right of the power button that comes on now also which never did before.

I'm on the in-laws PC ATM and I can't stay logged in for long so if you are able to help (someone familiar with basic PC hardware) give me a bell.

Oh four wun six 071 729.

If you can come to my place that's great, however, I can bring the tower to you if necessary.

Cheers
    Last edited by Orson; 30-08-2009, 07:07 PM.
    Find me on Instagram

I can slap it on the test-bench tonight if you felt like bringing it to gosnells, but there are surely a tech-savvy ellenbrook people that can check it out for you too

If you get stuck though and need some urgent attention, 0409 686 597.

Off to play some Wolfenstein now

**edit: PS: Each minute of my assistance will require ten situps. Keep that shit in mind too sir
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Comment

mine is sought of doing the same thing the comp comes on but theres no initial beep and then nothing.i tried turning it off and then on a few times and eventually it boots i think it might have something to do with the hard drive maybe try to plug another one in and see if that works if not the prosses of elimination is my next call unplug everything you dont need(extra harddrives put video card back to motherboard etc.)
      sigpic
      “A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.”

Comment

Cam, I won't rule it out at this stage dude. Getting antsy without my 'puter.

No PSB all weekend
        Find me on Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by BX36 View Post
          mine is sought of doing the same thing the comp comes on but theres no initial beep and then nothing.i tried turning it off and then on a few times and eventually it boots i think it might have something to do with the hard drive maybe try to plug another one in and see if that works if not the prosses of elimination is my next call unplug everything you dont need(extra harddrives put video card back to motherboard etc.)
          I wouldn't recommend anybody go poking around inside their machine without some experience, lest you make a problem worse.
          such comment
          wow
          many post

Comment

*Skulks away slowly*
            Find me on Instagram

Comment

You don't happen to have a dell LCD monitor by any chance do you?

Long shot, but there was a batch of them that are now getting to the age where they wont display anything... pc could well be powered up and running but the screen is dead (yet power LED lights up)?
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Nah, it's HP.

Tried a different PC with it and it works fine.

Cheers though.
                Find me on Instagram

Comment

I know summat about them there computer machines.. And I'm fairly close to you, only problem is I'm busy tonight (and most nights).

If you are able to bring it around tomorrow I can give you a prognosis.. (I have a bunch of spares as well, so we might be able to get you back up and running, provided it's not something integral, like mainboard).
                  "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Awesome.

PM ph number?
                    Find me on Instagram

Comment

Tried unplugging all then then repowering?

next try unplugging all unnecessary USB items such as printers or stick etc leave only keyboard and mouse preferable non USB type plug in, worked for me once.

Then try without any USB devices nothing no keyboards or mice...

Then I added items one by one till I found the aggravating item.

Perhaps also go BIOS settings and turn off USB boot after all this

USB devices can often cause problems like this so I was advised

WANTED

while were on computers I need a small fan either alone or preferably in an old unwanted power supply really cheap.......
                      To make a magnetic stirrer, ie strong magnet goes on fan, jar of liquid sits on top of with magnetic rod inside, is to make my Kefir with

Comment

Originally posted by Orson View Post
                        Awesome.

PM ph number?
                        Sent.
                        "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Originally posted by Ev View Post
                          WANTED

while were on computers I need a small fan either alone or preferably in an old unwanted power supply really cheap.......
                          To make a magnetic stirrer, ie strong magnet goes on fan, jar of liquid sits on top of with magnetic rod inside, is to make my Kefir with
                          Ev - I should have some lying around here... I am at Mirrabooka Wed/Thurs/Friday. What size you want? Do you want the power supply to run the fan? I should have a 12v one you can plug in the wall around somewhere if that is the case. (Will use alot less power)

Orson - I am in Redcliffe and happy to offer my services for PC help. Seems like you probably got it sorted by now though, all the best!
                          Originally posted by darkfibre
                          Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, this has been sorted.
                            Find me on Instagram

Comment

what was the prob Orson?
                              sigpic
                              “A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them.”

Comment

Working...
                              X