Returns policies- laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Returns policies- laptop

Ok, my laptop, that I bought on Thursday, died tonight. It won't power up either under the battery or plugged in. I really, really, don't want to have major hassles with something that seems to have an obvious defect from the start.

I bought the laptop from Harvey Norman in Cannington. What are my statutory rights? From a little research it seems that I have the option of replacement, refund or repair, but I would like something concrete to back that up. Anyone know?
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Apparently it's entirely up to the retailer as to what action they take as long as it's 'reasonable' in the eyes of the law.

I couldn't get an exchange/refund from a computer store when a 2 week old video card had the fan die and started producing artifacts playing back HD content. Had to wait 4+ weeks for it to be sent back to the manufacturer for repair...

Comment

Hrmm, on the ACCC website, its says this:

The right under the Act to cancel a contract and
      get a refund is generally limited to a reasonable
      time after a consumer receives a good – this is
      usually before the consumer has used the goods
      a lot.

I'd say 4 days is a 'reasonable time'
      If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

interesting .. we just got an email from a lad at work who got his lappy fixed OUT of warranty .. for nix following this guideline ... (heres a transcipt of the email aswell)

Guy’s when you buy something and it fucks up you don’t have to take it in the Arse as there is a Federal Act that gives you quite a bit of power (unless you brought it at the $2 shop!) so have a read its worth while to learn wear you stand before it happens.

An example, I brought a laptop but HP are replacing the screen, screen surrounds, Keypad and Motherboard with stuffed Graphics card out of the goodness of their heart, apparently it had nothing to do with this act! They told me no way until I mentioned my rights under the act, even though it was 9-10 months out of its lousy 12 month warranty, no faith in their product.

heres a link to a guide about it.. actual guide is a pdf near the bottom of the page ...

Warranties and refunds?a guide for consumers and business
        Vincit Omnia Veritas
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
          Hrmm, on the ACCC website, its says this:

The right under the Act to cancel a contract and
          get a refund is generally limited to a reasonable
          time after a consumer receives a good – this is
          usually before the consumer has used the goods
          a lot.

I'd say 4 days is a 'reasonable time'
          bullshit! .. i'd be ready to break windows if i'd just spent over a grand and they told me to go fk myself! ... minimum would be 7 days .. and for something i'd spent over a grand on i would expect at least 14 days. .. especially seeing how it appears to be faulty out of the box!
          Vincit Omnia Veritas
          sigpic

Comment

that was bullshit to the store not you semi
            Vincit Omnia Veritas
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I havent taken it back in yet, so hopefully they'll just give me another one, or a refund, straight up. I just want to go in armed with what I need to know and what I have to quote to get them listening.

Comment

Originally posted by Kharntiitar View Post
                that was bullshit to the store not you semi
                Yeah, I know mate. cheers.

Comment

ahhhh i see .. well if thats the case .. i generally haven't had a drama with them ... i bought a Logitech Ipod alarm clock off em ages ago .. and it died in the ass after about a month .. they one for one'd it without asking questions .... just make sure u take everything with ya ... s'long as u havent jumped on it i can't imagine em being cu*ts about it ... but always good to be ready for it ..
                  Vincit Omnia Veritas
                  sigpic

Comment

DOn't take shit, get what "you" want!

Comment

generally harvey norman is pretty good with return/refund. I bought Dvd player before, and it stopped working after about 2weeks. I took it back to the store and they replace it with the new one straight away.
                      I don't have signature.:mellow:

Comment

did you buy it via credit card? if you do, you may have further rights beyond what you are given according to the ACCC due to the purchase insurance that comes with some of the non-low-rate cards.
                        “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Four days... if the sales person gives you grief then ask to speak with the manager. I am sure if they have stock they can just swap it over. If they send it back to the manufacturer that is lame. Shoot him in the face.
                          Originally posted by darkfibre
                          Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

All worked out well. I went in thismorning, and showed it to the guy at the service desk. I had just played with it in the car and it wouldn't switch on. got to the counter and, of course, it boots up right away. He had a look through it installed the pending updates, and told me it might've been due to the updates or something. I took it back and he told me to see how it goes and bring it back if there's problems.

Took it to uni, got connected to SNAP and the VPN, and was doing a little research when it went to a BSOD. Did it once more when I was doing group work, and when I went to move,(closed it) it wouldnt boot again.

Took it back again, and in the car outside it reset itself and froze on the safe mode screen. Took it in to the same guy and he had a short look then replaced it. All sweet

Hopefully the new one is good.

Comment

Nice result Semi

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X