Bird taming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird taming

Well I finally got my baby bird (eclectus) home. 13 weeks old and as cute as a button. Problem is, hes not very well behaved. Hes likes to bite anyone who comes near the cage. I'm guessing its mostly to do with the stress of being in a new place and with new people.

Inside the cage, hes very flighty, hisses and bites quite alot. Today was the first time I've mananged to coax him out.

Outside, he tends to run away and doesn't bite so much, but will still give you a good nip if you try and pick him up after crash landing. I spent a lot of time with him today, talking softly to him, calmly trying to get him to perch on my hand. Once hes on my hand, hes usually pretty fine. He'll sit there quietly and even let you hold him close. But getting your hand close, is a real challenge, with him hissing and flapping and generally carrying on.

I'm hoping theres a few large parrot owners out there who could share their experience with large parrot taming and stopping the biting behaviour.

So, what do you do to stop a bird biting?
    A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.

Dear god, it's some weird bastardized three wheeled two person go-kart.

Cant help with taming, but it sounds like he needs time to get familiar with new surroundings and you.
    Has he got a name yet ?
    How about "eggbut"............ as in egg but no bacon
    Yes it's a dad joke, my dad, and told too many times, but here I am telling it.

Bert
    It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

it's cos ur old Bert. And why arnt you at fitness class?? (im sick)

Does your bird have a weakness for head/neck scratching???

mine does.
      sometimes he gets a bit angry and you gotta give him a good scratch.
      other times, I come home and hes whistling and singing/talking too me through the cage, he's all happy and cant wait to come out and be social.
      Have you won the game recently?? Post here

Comment

Lol, hes already got a name. Hes called Bruce.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunyack View Post
          it's cos ur old Bert. And why arnt you at fitness class?? (im sick)

Does your bird have a weakness for head/neck scratching???

mine does.
          sometimes he gets a bit angry and you gotta give him a good scratch.
          other times, I come home and hes whistling and singing/talking too me through the cage, he's all happy and cant wait to come out and be social.
          I can't even touch him, let alone pet him. And I haven't heard him sing yet. Just sqwaking. Loudly.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            I can't even touch him, let alone pet him. And I haven't heard him sing yet. Just sqwaking. Loudly.
            Ha ha, he's an eclectus, its what they do, and LOUDLY, really really LOUDLY. Hope your neighbours like birds. They are beautiful though...

Let him sit on your hand and just relax. When he starts preening you'll know he's relaxed, because (at a guess) he's sitting on your hand now but he isn't doing anything but looking at you intensely

So, what do you do to stop a bird biting?
            Food rewards and time. He's been kicked out of home and forced into new surroundings, it's gonna take a week or so for him to calm down - and he misses his Mum. He'll need to accept you into his flock and as long as you are nice to him you should bond OK. Parrots are exceptionally intelligent, so will require plenty of mental stimulation, so make sure he has lots to play with, a good variety of food and not too many sunflower seeds - too oily and unhealthy for such a long-lived bird.....and NO Chocolate, it's toxic to birds (and dogs/cats)
            Dead Man's Hand
            Internationational Porter Protection Group
            Just call me Pat

Comment

I was once told by a breeder/collector of large white cockatoo's (not sure which breed) that smacking them on the beak with a hard but light object (similar to a chopstick or knitting needle) when they bite was a similar to their natural beak clashes in the wild. I would read up on it for your bird though, as I also recall him saying it was not suitable for most parrot breeds.
              It has a dual purpose. ~ Tom Smitheringale

Comment

Love the name Bruce
                For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Pat View Post
                  Let him sit on your hand and just relax. When he starts preening you'll know he's relaxed, because (at a guess) he's sitting on your hand now but he isn't doing anything but looking at you intensely

Food rewards and time. He's been kicked out of home and forced into new surroundings, it's gonna take a week or so for him to calm down - and he misses his Mum. He'll need to accept you into his flock and as long as you are nice to him you should bond OK. Parrots are exceptionally intelligent, so will require plenty of mental stimulation, so make sure he has lots to play with, a good variety of food and not too many sunflower seeds - too oily and unhealthy for such a long-lived bird.....and NO Chocolate, it's toxic to birds (and dogs/cats)
                  Pretty much. He'll (after crashing into the glass window and crash landing and getting grumpy. I try to avoid it by closing the blinds but well, hes no Top Gun yet) sit on my hand with ruffled feathers and keep a close eye on me. Occasionally he'll give my hand a hard bite. Unsure of whether hes 'testing the perch' or telling me to watch what I'm doing with my hands.

I'm offering him all sorts of foods to see what he likes. Apples, celery (not too much of that), cucumber, citrus fruits. He's had boiled sweet potato and carrot mash for the last couple of days (I make a big batch and freeze it. I replace all food daily with fresh stuff), although hes seems to be sticking to seed so I might have to limit the amount I give him to encourage him to eat the soft food. I've also been offering him a seed/nut/dried fruit/vitamin tablet mix. I'm trying to avoid pellets and give him his nutrition through natural foods.

And boy, does he love sunflower seeds! I bury a couple in his dinner as a treat/boredom buster. A few every now and again is enough for him methinks!

As for toys, right now hes got a hanging chew toy, and a triangular box with bits and bobs in it for him to fish out and play with. This weekend I'm going to the pet store to buy him more things.^_^

I know hes a grumpy, moody little bastard right now, but I can tell you honestly, I wouldn't give him up for anything.

Comment

Maybe Bruce just needs to feel comfy in his new home, before he gets used to you as well.....his cage is his turf....try not to violate that too much....when he is comfy he will come to you

I had a sulphur crested cockatoo for a while and she was like a child ....did anything for attention and any kind of drama or attention from us was good....even yelling was good coz she had our attention...so if he is being bad try not to react too loudly...birds love drama !! Find other ways to let him know what he did was bad....ie if he bites = he goes back in cage for a while, maybe even cover it with a sheet.

His cage is his turf...respect that...and only invite him out...dont force him
                    Life's short, stay close to the things that make you happy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shortfuse View Post
                      I was once told by a breeder/collector of large white cockatoo's (not sure which breed) that smacking them on the beak with a hard but light object (similar to a chopstick or knitting needle) when they bite was a similar to their natural beak clashes in the wild. I would read up on it for your bird though, as I also recall him saying it was not suitable for most parrot breeds.
                      From what I've read, this sort of negative reinforcement doesn't help to quell biting, but rather reinforces the fear of hands.

Comment

From what I've read, this sort of negative reinforcement doesn't help to quell biting, but rather reinforces the fear of hands.
                        Just passing on what I had heard. Good luck with him. Great name, same as my dog.
                        It has a dual purpose. ~ Tom Smitheringale

Comment

Water Pistol?
                          You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

My experience with larger parrots (Corella, Galahs) they love corn. Dried and fresh - never cooked.

He may be different, but that's the fun of having a new bird. Give him some on a plate then if he likes it, gradually move to your hand and get him to eat from your palm. It's all about trust for both party's.

A hint : if you're gonna teach him to talk, think carefully about what you're going to say. What MAY be funny for your mates will be pretty embarrassing if you Mum drops around
                            Dead Man's Hand
                            Internationational Porter Protection Group
                            Just call me Pat

Comment

All good advice. You may want to remember that birds will respond better to bright colours instead of dark. Watch what u wear. Lots of patience and time needed. good luck.
                              Originally posted by Zanza
                              I thought LH was being a dirty pervy woman.....well more than normal anyways
                              Please bear wtih my speilng Im dyslexic.

Comment

Working...
                              X