Waterproof my arse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterproof my arse!

The good son I am, I jumped on my bike to race (slowly Officer) out to the airport yesterday to greet the oldies who are here to visit. Man did it piss down!!!

Anyway, long story short, my mobile and wallet, which normally sit pretty and dry on the inside "waterproof" pocket of my jacket ended up drenched. The phone, which was on, is dead. Tried all the tricks (hairdryer, dismantled etc) but it's dead. So I ring Optus to discuss options and ask the lovely girl to please forward my calls to the home phone. Done she says.

30 secs later my home phone rings.

them: Hi is John there?
    me: John?
    them: sorry, must have the wrong number

30 secs pass - repeat last conversation

Anyway, it turns out that Optus have forwarded some poor executive in Melbourne to my home number! I ring Optus, who have a look and say "oh, look at that!! Sorry Sir, but you don't have the rights to undo someone elses forward. Hang on while I ring them...." My home phone rings..."Hello Sir, it appears we have accidently forwarde...oh, is that you?" Idiots.

So I text the number with a nice message explaining the issue. Later I get a voice mail (I was on the phone to Optus again) saying "This is John. It appears there's a problem with my phone and yours. Give me a call to sort it out..." He leaves no number.

I give up...the calls soon stop.

Anyway, the crux of the story is this. Optus have offered me a iPhone 3GS 16GB (x2) on the $49 plan (normally $79) and I have some questions:

1. Does the GPS work (I had a 6110 Navigator) or is a google maps with no voice nav?
    2. Does "Mobile as a modem" - aka tethering work on Optus? I currently hook my Nokia up to lappy when I travel to get 3G mobile net. Yes I know you can surf on the phone, but some stuff I do needs lappy.
    3. Any major issues?

TIA.

D'Art

Originally posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    Does the GPS work (I had a 6110 Navigator) or is a google maps with no voice nav?
    There's a tonne of GPS apps for it. Seems to work okay, but somebody else may have more experience with them than me.

Does "Mobile as a modem" - aka tethering work on Optus? I currently hook my Nokia up to lappy when I travel to get 3G mobile net. Yes I know you can surf on the phone, but some stuff I do needs lappy.
    They expect you to pay for it, $10 *per month* to have that option activated. There are ways to get around this, but be warned up front.

Any major issues?
    Not really, I'm happy enough with mine.
    such comment
    wow
    many post

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
      There's a tonne of GPS apps for it. Seems to work okay, but somebody else may have more experience with them than me.

They expect you to pay for it, $10 *per month* to have that option activated. There are ways to get around this, but be warned up front.

Not really, I'm happy enough with mine.
      Hey Cam - have you done any travelling O/S with it mate? How did that go...?

Comment

None yet, but that's the plan.
        such comment
        wow
        many post

Comment

I've just returned from Bali and my iPhone worked fine there (on 3)
          I mainly used it with the free wifi over there but when not using wifi it worked fine still for phone, SMS and email

Comment

Heard iPhone's can't send pix in txt's, but maybe that's not an issue any more/for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Lou View Post
              Heard iPhone's can't send pix in txt's, but maybe that's not an issue any more/for you.
              I do it often on my un-jailbroken 3GS.

That used to be an issue with un-jailbroken phones because of some sort of retarded deal with AT&T in the states.
              such comment
              wow
              many post

Comment

i can send pics via mms

but mostly use email, its free

and mines not jailbroken

Comment

Well Optus suck. I got an email telling me they don't have any S models and a 'new' normal iphone (at the same price) would be sent instead! Told them to shove it. it would cost me less to pay out my contract and start again.

So I started looking at the E75 and N97. Opinions?

D'Art

Comment

Working...
                  X