Media PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media PC?

I've got an old PC at home, think its something like a P4 1.8, small graphics card, 512Mb RAM, etc. How well would it work as a torrent/media PC? I don't want to play anything in spectacular quality, i just want to be able to hook it to my TV and watch my TV shows, and maybe set it to download torrents. It has an S-video out and my TV has one in, so it should hook up fine.

Will it be ok to run media fine, or what needs upgrading? Again, doesnt have to be anything flash, I just want to make it easy to watch my TV shows on the TV.
    If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Is the s-video port on your computer at output port?
    Originally posted by Semi
    I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

yes, it will be fine

what kinda tv? what inputs does it have?

Comment

its an LG 42" plasma.

Has an s-video, hdmi, component, av, and now that i think about it, it has a serial monitor input. Which would be better to use?
        If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

Oh and also, would I be better off using something like windows media centre, or just leaving XP on there and removing all the crap from it, and just having DIVX and torrents on it?

Comment

I've got the same television as yours except in 52" and hdmi is the best on screen imo.
            Originally posted by Semi
            I ride slowly because I'm a massive faggot.

Comment

I dont have a HDMI port on my computer though, otherwise i'd use that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi View Post
                I dont have a HDMI port on my computer though, otherwise i'd use that for sure.
                Does your video card have a DVI plug on it? If so use this to plug it in the HDMI.

It must be a true DVI not an DVI that only has analogue signals.
                spudda : Got mine in my hot little hands today barfy. Your a gem!

Comment

I dont have one, and it doesnt bother me that much.

Comment

If you have the analogue plug use that. It'll be heaps better than s-video.

If you're not too fussy I reckon just stick with XP if it's already on there. I'm using Windows 7 on my torrent/media box and I just leave it permanently connected to the TV and plug in the mouse when I want to choose something. It's not the most elegant setup but it works for me.

Comment

If you've got a dvi port, get a DVI->HDMI cable and use that.

S-video will give an inferior image.

Otherwise, you can get cheap AGP cards with DVI for under $100 these days.

Comment

I'll try it with the analogue first. If I upgrade the video card i'll get one with a HDMI or DVI port

Comment

Stay away from H.264 encoded videos and you should be fine.

Comment

Reason I was thinking about media centre was i remember a mate of mine having a media pc setup like that, and bought a media centre remote for the computer. worked pretty well.

Comment

If it's one of these you're thinking of I've used one for Windows Vista and Windows 7, it's shit house, half the buttons don't work (properly). Can't fast forward etc.

We have both at home but always use this instead:

They're a smidge under $200 though, so quite pricey, but they're handy to have.

Comment

Working...
                              X