Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's been to uni as a mature age student?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been to uni as a mature age student?

Im about to enrol for uni next year, however a tad nervous as to how it will go not having been in stufy mode for the past three years, and earning money instead,
    went to tafe and did the AdvDip in Civil Struc Eng after school but been working ever since. . . .did you struggle to get back into study mode?
    . . . DONT DO IT BATMAN
    0.00%
    ok, falling back into study mode wasnt that hard
    37.04%
    hard but worth it at the end of the day
    62.96%
    Last edited by GSXRossi; 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM.

A bit yes, although I tried it as Full Time study whilst Full time working. It didnt work for me.
    If you have a seperate study/desk/time schedule, it makes it easier. Rather than just 'oh sometime this week I'll find 2hrs...'

Comment

time seems like it will be ok, my employer i believe is keen to keep me on part time, and the course i want to do is only 2 days a week full time. (Construction management and Economics)

Comment

do it. i worked for a few years then went back to uni. Getting back in was a bit hard for the first few weeks but the whole study thing comes back to you and because you already know time is money you work harder and more efficiently than school leavers

good luck
        SUCH IS LIFE

Originally posted by lee
        I hope you choke on a donut, and when you do I'm going to inappropriately hit on your grieving widows.

Comment

Im going to be a 21y/o first year studying Agribusiness.. Im currently a 20y/o doing the bridging course..

I found it was very, very easy to get into the habit of study again... (I didn't do TEE, so really the last time I did any sort of real study (TAFE not included) was year 11 (2005).. )

I guess I'll see how I go with proper Uni next year
          comic sans is OKAY!

Comment

Yeah, I did a BA full time at Murdoch 3-4 years after finishing high school. I wasn't working part time, but we had a new born, so was dealing with lack of sleep for most of the 3 years. Wasn't too bad, I just had to be disciplined, ask for help/extensions when necessary, but got lot's of support from the uni.

It just didn't leave much time for anything else, as I completed alot of time in between classes studying/reading at the library.. because I knew once I got home almost no study got done.

So you just have to be disciplined.

Comment

Do it mate, i did it from the age of 27 to 32 both full and part time, and loved it. You'll be surprised how much better you'll do than you did at school, what with a better work ethic and all that from being more mature

Comment

I'm going next year but via distance learning. My circumstance make it impossible to give up work. Go back and finish your education before you have commitments which make it harder! Oh and I will be 37!
                Last edited by redtaipan63; 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM. Reason: moar!
                "I don't care if you wear a plastic bag, filled with bubble wrap then zip tied at the neck for crash protection"

Comment

im 19 and planning on picking up uni next year or the one after.. still havent decided.
                  as others have said, ill probably be alot more committed and eager to bash through the books knowing what else is waiting on the other side, im sure you will too
                  wood for life? wood is life.
                  Originally posted by thro
                  i only squid it when riding pissed.

Comment

I went from full-time work to full-time study, it was pretty easy - I've never had issues transitioning before though. I had to repeat Year 12 to gain entry into uni as a mature age student though.

Comment

Do it mate. That degree shouldn't be too hard, but it'll pay off in the long run.

Comment

Don't know, I'm not mature age. I have alot of them in my classes though, don't be that cocky mature age student that sits in the front row and questions EVERYTHING the lecturer says. What uni where you thinking of going to?

Comment

I did it.
                          You get to spend your day with 18 year old Uni girls.
                          It's hard work, but you deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                            You get to spend your day with 18 year old Uni girls.
                            One of the biggest bonuses.

I did electronic eng - unfortunately it was one big sausage fest

btw GSXRossi, are you single? If so I highly recommend student housing. A friend of mine had 9 housemates, all 18yo stunners.

Comment

It wont take you long to get back into it. I also found it much easier as a mature age student than when i first went to uni straight from school, different priorities i guess, plus more life skills, benefit you imho

Comment

Working...
                              X