Rigs vs Mines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigs vs Mines

I've been debating with myself for a while, I want a career change, I'm sick of sitting in my arse in a office twinkling away on a keyboard all day. Wan't something physical.

So it's come down to Rigs vs mines, I've got some good contact in the rigs and and considering it more then then mines. The only thing that is putting me off a little is living so far away from my family. So what are the Pro's and Con's of both for people that have worked there?

What are your qualifications?

You'll earn more on a rig if you're unskilled.

Comment

keep debating it with yourself!! till you are sure and keep working on your contacts and Qualifications.

Comment

I'm a network engineer, so no relevant qualifications. I've had a few TAFE courses recommended to me that will liken my chances at getting a job on a rig.

Comment

Get your HUET ticket if thinking about working on a rig.

Jobs shouldn't be that hard to get, a few of my mates have got rig jobs simply by phoning the company every day for a month and hassling them. They give in eventually.

Comment

Theres now a "green hand" type course on offer that seems like it will be a pre-requisite to getting offshore NWS. I know that ERGT were running trial courses to iron out the content, duration, etc, lately but not sure if this is all go now. There will also be an option to include your BOSIET (helicopter survival). Drop them a call to work out the cost if self funding. Grab a seat though before you call......
            User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Rigs:

If it fucks up, you will die.
              Better Swing, 2 on 2 off, then after 3rd swing 6 off. WTF slack asses
              100% Dry
              100% Non Smoking
              No Mobile phones.
              Limited net access.
              Cramped 4 to a room.
              People are niceer becase they have to get along in close proximity.
              You are generally "less busy" than mines work, untill the shit hits the fan and you work with your ass hanging out.
              Pay is better.
              The machinery would work with is varied and cool.
              Food is much better.

Mines:
              If it fucks up, you might die
              Hot
              Dusty
              More Red Dust
              Single accomodation
              Wet Mess
              You Can somke onsite.
              You can have mobile on site
              Shorter swings, but less time off.
              More chemicals in the process that will fuck you up
              Machinery is boring....oh look there is a conveyor, and to the left, is another conveyor. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I do both and much prefer the rigs. A nice in between is the onshore gas plant.

(\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(")

Comment

Mines = no chopper.

That alone would decide it for me

edit:

done fifo mine work, no rig work, but the amount of chopper failures/ditches/shenanigans and the HUET training i've heard about don't really attract me to it...

unless you get on an international mine, you're less likely to get lower tax/pay in US dollars (pending legislation changes). also something to bear in mind.
                “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

Originally posted by thro View Post
                  Mines = no chopper.

That alone would decide it for me
                  Fear of crashing?
                  Originally posted by Amac
                  suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

^ yup.

up to you how much faith you have in them, etc... personal thing.
                    “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

choppers r awesome!

except 16 people died off Aberdean and another 18 in Canada in the same model they use here just last year.

One of my guys was on final approah to cossack Pioneer and they lost one engine and turned back to Karatha......

Yes choppers are the most dangerous part of the job, but how many people have BHP killed this year?

(\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(")

Comment

^ yup.

up to you how much faith you have in them, etc... personal thing.
                        Yeah I do agree.
                        I don't think it would stop me working on a rig though, if the chance came my way. Not that it would.

I waited for the place to crash while doing FIFO, never happened, but I consciously accepted that it was possible.
                        Originally posted by Amac
                        suck me on the hat you mole fucker, steroid affected me cock

Comment

Originally posted by TRX View Post
                          Yes choppers are the most dangerous part of the job, but how many people have BHP killed this year?
                          Ahh, but how many IT PEOPLE (OP is an IT guy) has bhp killed this year?

Chopper = inescapable part of the rig work. If you're a desk jockey on a mine, you're nowhere near any of the dangerous shit.

Anyway, personal preference, etc... depends what mine job you're comparing it to, i guess.

Comment

would you prefer the work boat/crane drop off?. Hopping in and out of man cages scares the shit out me
                            Posted via Mobile Device
                            Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by crash View Post
                              would you prefer the work boat/crane drop off?. Hopping in and out of man cages scares the shit out me
                              Posted via Mobile Device
                              Unless you are transfering from an FPSO to a nearby platform (eg Bayu Undan ConocoPhillips off Timor or workign in SEAsia), they dont do that here

ConocoPhillips do it properly where you are strapped into a floating basket.

MurphyOil in Malaysia do it dodgy where you stand on the outside of a basket and "hold-the-fuck-on" .....got some vidoe of that one somewhere.

Both are Still fun

Ahh, but how many IT PEOPLE (OP is an IT guy) has bhp killed this year?

Chopper = inescapable part of the rig work. If you're a desk jockey on a mine, you're nowhere near any of the dangerous shit.

Anyway, personal preference, etc... depends what mine job you're comparing it to, i guess.
                              If your IT, your not going to be offshore...........

(\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X