Triathlon training partners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triathlon training partners.

I have started the journey to doing my first triathlon....only problem is I really don't know where to start. Is there anyone on here who is perhaps one step ahead of beginner that I can latch onto?

I am relatively fit so I wouldn't be a complete drag! Just would be nice to run and cycle with someone on Saturdays.....help maintain the rage if you know what I mean.

I am North of the River.
    "I don't care if you wear a plastic bag, filled with bubble wrap then zip tied at the neck for crash protection"

me me me

I'm always keen to try and get some more training in.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
    Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

Hey there,

I notice that you didn't mention the swimming .... are you any good at this ?
      The reason I ask (now, I am not a triathlete, but I used to be a National swimmer) is that even though the swim is only usually a relatively short distance, to me it is painfully obvious that this is where one can loose the most time and be behind the eight ball right from the very start... and on a level playing field it would be pretty hard to make up that time.

Depends on how serious you want to take it though I suppose. Just a question I though was worth asking.

Comment

Swimming? Damn didn't know you had to swim! I thought it was running, cycling and pie eating! LOL!

No swimming is something that will require work...prolly more than the rest as I have some experience in that. But if it was easy it would not be worth accomplishing.

How serious am I? Finishing last would be an accomplishment to start with. The only way is up from there! yeah swimming.....is definitely going to be fun......any tips? Hey want to go swimming? You sound good!

I am only just starting on this journey so I am in no doubt it will be an interesting period coming up here. Maybe we could organise a PSB team at an event?
        "I don't care if you wear a plastic bag, filled with bubble wrap then zip tied at the neck for crash protection"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_FJ View Post
          I am not a triathlete, but I used to be a National swimmer)
          mm so are you going to come back to swimming i.e. Masters Swimming????? The Westcoast club has some top people in it.

redtaipan63 - there are heaps of Masters Swimming clubs that have Triathletes training with them, also the Triathlon Club in your area Triathlon WA Swim Bike Run Multisport Western Australia North Coast club might be worth contacting

I haven't been involved with Triathlons for quite a few years, but a few people on here are competing

Comment

my best mate is north of the river and has competed in a few and also was invited to do the hawaiian triathlon, he loved it, he is doing this years in Busselton I dont know how he does it at 44
            We same age and I couldnt even run around the block without being stuffed
            I could always ask him to see what his training plan is if you dont hook up with someone else on PSB
            DOCWA

Comment

Originally posted by redtaipan63 View Post
              Maybe we could organise a PSB team at an event?
              That would be something that I would be interested in !
              Did a corporate team event once, that was fun. One person swims, one rides, one runs, or you could do the whole lot on your own.

I could be talked into doing some laps again, not for a few months though, trying to sell a business at the moment. Once that's gone though I would be keen.

Advice, I would say work on your weaknesses first to try and get a balance in all disciplines then progress from there.

With swimming its all about technique. With the right technique comes efficiency which then equals speed. You will need to do a lot of cardio work to build up your stamina in the pool. And you dont necessarily have to be physically strong to be a strong swimmer.

Set yourself goals, as you said, finishing a triathlon would be an achievement. Set that as your first goal. Experience is key, go watch some events to get an idea of what goes on in the change over area. Those corporate events can be quite interesting to learn from as the seriousness isn't quite the same (although I could be wrong)

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                Masters Swimming????? The Westcoast club has some top people in it.
                That brings back memories.... my father was one of the original members of the West Coast Masters, then did his coaching ticket under them quite a few years back. I'll have to ask him if he still goes... He's a bit old now though, I dont think he has been for quite a while.

I just wish they would swim in a 50m pool instead of cragie, but yeh they would be the team I would join if I was to get back into it. Ive heard they have a few good ones there !

Comment

I'd be up for a teams event. I used to do duathlons in NZ ( 40km bike / 10km run ). I'd offer to sort out a regular Saturday training thing too, but I'm only here 1 week every 5 so that's no good to you.
                  BUY MY BIKE - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...1000rr-151241/

Comment

Thanks Stoneville will contact Northcoast tomorrow.

Team event.....are we gathering interest?

Hey Dazza I joined Docwa a while ago and still haven't had a chance to go to a ride!

Comment

Yea i'm interested.

Like FJ I used to swim rather seriously, only just backed off the training after the olympic trials, I'm a swimming coach with a handful of national age swimmers so if you want some help on the swimming side.

I've gotta get onto the bike and running more before the season starts .... if anyone SOR needs a training buddy I'm always keen.
                      When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be AWESOME instead. True story.

Originally posted by lobes89
                      Yea I like the bike but it's hard to get my foot under the brake lever

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_FJ View Post
                        I just wish they would swim in a 50m pool instead of cragie, but yeh they would be the team I would join if I was to get back into it. Ive heard they have a few good ones there !
                        mm I thought they trained at Joondalup Arena???

Westcoast Masters
                        [email protected]
                        Arena Joondalup & Craigie Leisure Centre
                        Sandra Teagle
                        9304 2457

Ah look contact details

Comment

Originally posted by Dazza996 View Post
                          he is doing this years in Busselton I dont know how he does it at 44
                          Full Ironman? Was my goal for this year till I got sick have revised and am now doing the Cocos (Keeling) Island swim, swim between the 2 islands in March, then on to the FINA World Masters in Stockholm in July, so pushing Busselton back to 2011.

Originally posted by Dazza996 View Post
                          my best mate is north of the river and has competed in a few and also was invited to do the hawaiian triathlon, he loved it,
                          Your friend must be good to get invited to do it, I have been wanting to do that one for a long time, one day.......

Comment

if you are looking for a basic training program, check out:
                            www.beginnertriathlete.com/ the have a "couch to sprint triathlon" program I think...

Also, Stonville's recommendation of a club is spot on. They all have a wide range of training options all through the week and weekend from group rides, runs and swim squads. It would be a good idea to do an occassional open water swim as the event you do as your first onewill be quite different to the pool :o

Also it is worth doing the occasional "brick" session, where you combine two of the disciplines (normally ride then run). It is important to know how your legs are going to feel as you take the first few steps of your run after belting yoursellf for 30km on the bike

and have fun
                            it gets addictive

Comment

A fair bit of good advice coming from this thread.... Looks like there are a lot of like minded people too !

Big Dave, what club are you at ???
                              I used to be with City of Perth many moons ago. (amongst others, Wanneroo, Carine (swam with Todd Pearson there) Maylands Yokine.... I think that's all ! )

Comment

Working...
                              X