Photo nerds, lend me your fu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo nerds, lend me your fu

I have a relatively decent lens (USM 70-300 Canon), but I just can't seem to get the crispness, colour or contrast that you other guys seem to get.
    Here are some unprocessed pictures I too of the resident Perente last week.
    Any tips on how I can make these decent photos?
    Composition isn't too much of an issue, I can work on that, but getting the most out of the camera is.
    Help!

the main things you can spruce up in photoshop is

adjust brightness/contrast (image > adjustment > brightness/contrast)

adjust hue/saturation (image > adjustment > hue/saturation)

then you can get into more depth by creating layers, adjusting levels to bring out detail in the under/over exposed areas and masking parts of the layers to create a more even exposure.

if google photoshop tutorials dont help chuck any questions up here.

edit: fark...didnt realise how close the above images look to each other

original photo for reference

Comment

Here's my take on them. If you like this treatment, then I'd recommend Nik Color Efex Pro and Topaz Adjust.

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

WTS.

But a couple of other observations:

You're shooting a fairly neutral coloured subject amongst dead leaves and grass.
        At what I'm guessing is around the middle of the day giving a harsh light.

That already is going to make it hard to reproduce what you are after.

Re photoshopping.....google....and sift thru the mire of tutorials and you might find so cool techniques to help.
        sigpic

Comment

also there's only so much you can sharpen up an image before it becomes slightly posterised.

obviously the key is to get it as right as you can off the bat.

most of the times, unsharp photos are due either handshake on a longer exposure or the auto focus not focusing correctly.

make sure you focus on the correct AF point and make sure you see it focus on that point through the viewfinder. then recompose your shot to have the AF point placed where you want it focused....then you can fire away

Comment

Oh, I don't know!

Well, maybe a little bit!

Before:

After:
            "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

sigpic

Comment

You guys could make it look like Marilyn Monroe, couldn't you?!

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post

Nothing Google can't fix.

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
                    WTS.

But a couple of other observations:

You're shooting a fairly neutral coloured subject amongst dead leaves and grass.
                    At what I'm guessing is around the middle of the day giving a harsh light.

That already is going to make it hard to reproduce what you are after.

Re photoshopping.....google....and sift thru the mire of tutorials and you might find so cool techniques to help.
                    ^
                    this.

To give the focus of your image more contrast you're going to have to make a background layer, blur it and desaturate it a little bit more.. etc.

If you're shooting that close in a smaller lense will help.

If you're shooting from a distance, try to get a bit more room behind your subject.

Comment

Lol.
                      Wow Dugy, that's awesome what you have done with that pic!
                      But you're right about shooting midday, I asked him to come back later when the shadows and lighting were better, but he didn't seem too interested

EDIT: Problem is Max, the only other lens I have is the kit lens, which leave a LOT to be desired.

Comment

This was done on lightroom quickly.
                        But I find that playing with Whitebalance and using filters during the middle of the day can get some really nice results.
                        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

EDIT: Problem is Max, the only other lens I have is the kit lens, which leave a LOT to be desired.
                          They're not entirely shabby for short range stuff.

Comment

Yeah, I need to remember to set my WB each time I use the camera.

Comment

Hey, my cousin Morton, he make da good Aborigine art.

I think the boys have covered it here Jim, have fun mate. Hope to see more of your pics from way up dar in da wildanuss.

07 MV F41000R
                              09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
                              07 CBR 600RR trackbike
                              sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X