Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question for the D&D fanatics out there (if there are any)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for the D&D fanatics out there (if there are any)

Feel free to send me a PM with your answer if you dont want to publicly admit to the geekyness of it What I am after is a premade campaign that I could use for my 9 year old son. I am wanting to try an experiment to see if using something along these lines will help improve his comprehension and ability to explain back information that he has read or heard (the main source of his learning issue).

I dont know enough about it to know where to find anything along these lines, and the only campaigns I have been exposed to are the ones that my friends came up with which are far more involved and in depth. Any ideas ??

Been a long time since I played D&D. I may still have a few 2nd edition sourcebooks if you want them. Try Tactics in the city. Used to be in London Court.
    The Forgotten Realms setting has a fair bit of material (or used to) available. Maybe a net search will find a few pre made modules?

Comment

Theres alot of premade adventures on the DnD site.
      Wizards of the Coast
      Iv never really looked at it to much. Usally did our own campaigns when i played. but im sure theres plenty of stuff out there for you. Alot of advetnures are pretty basic. Its upto the GM to make it harder and more involved.
      A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

You could try Games Workshop and go for the Warhammer Games. They are tabletop based, with figurines as well. Something to handle, move around, as well as rules to follow. Also there is a bit of variety, if he doesn't like the swords and sorcery stuff, they also have space battles.

I haven't played their stuff in 10 years or so, but they have starter packs quite cheap, and he can even go in on games nights and watch games being played.

Main Australian web site is Home Page | Games Workshop

Three stores in WA. Store Finder | Games Workshop
        Come back Jeremy, it was only a joke.

Comment

Yea I thought of those ones where they have the little armies and stuff Like Warhammer but they are a bitt to involved and too much for him to remember. I figured one where he only had to worry about one little person and mainly try to remember a storyline and explain his actions would help him moreso.

Thanks for he info guys I will see what I can dig up

Comment

What is his learning issue (if you don't mind sharing)?
            There is a wealth of knowledge, and some very special mental health workers here who I'm sure will give any information that they can to help your son achieve his most.

Comment

not D&D, but (I remember playing this way back before/around the time i first encountered AD&D 1st edition ):

HeroQuest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its sorta similar, and far easier to play and get started with for younger/more casual players. comes with a pre-prepared "campaign" - that has replay value.

if he's interested in that and has fun, D&D is a step up...

:geek:
              Last edited by thro; 15-09-2009, 11:28 PM.
              “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

In a vaguely similar(ok, so it's nothing like it really, we just used to play both as little kids) vein to Heroquest is;

Warlock of Firetop Mountain

I remember having great fun with that in primary school...
                "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Well he has what is called CAPD (Central Auditory Processing Disorder). Its commonly misdiagnosed as ADD and ADHD. It stems from hearing issues early in their devlopment years. He had to have grommets twice which helped a lot. basically if he is in a crowded noisy area his hearing can get sensitive and noises can moosh together into a din.

But due to when all this happened his How's and why's are a little mixed up. He is one of the best readers and spellers in his class and he understands what he is reading at the time of reading it but if you are to ask him question afterwards about what he has read he has a lot of difficulty answering the question or explaining what he has read and gets confused. It can lead to them being disruptive in class without meaning to. They want to participate in discussion groups but because its discussion and oral based, what they are discussing gets jumbled in their head, so not wanting to look like they arent being involved they say the most random things and go off on tangents of their own and the other kids can be a little harsh about it. The kids he is in class with know about his issue and have been more understanding but it can be heartbreaking when your (at the time he said this to me 3 years ago) says the maybe things would be better if he wasnt here because thats what the kids at school said. Kids can be cruel.

So his teacher gives him these little worksheets, which I know and he knows are meant to help him, but he more than once he asked why he has to have baby work to help him and I felt really bad for him. He knows he has an issue but its finding ways to help him get around it and improve his abilities in ways that interest him rather than make him feel silly which these worksheets do. He has copped a lot of flack from kids over it as well as its not an obvious "disability" or learning issue as well call it.

I had never played D&D before and a group of my mates offered for me to come along to get me out of the house one week. After playing it a couple of weeks and having to remember what happened the fortnight before and storyline and character stuff I started wondering if this might not be an option for him .. Something a little easier campaign wise of course and played alot more often than once a fortnight but something that sparks the thinking process by using a theme that insterests him.

I dunno if Im on th right track or not but I figured hell I'll try anything hehe. We have already seen a HUGE improvement in his concentration just by having set activity time 5 nights a week after dinner. Thinkgs like Lego and Craft and board games stuff that kind of makes them think a little. SO I was hoping somehting like this as a "homework" time type of deal might help him jsut that little bit more.

(Sorry for the lenght heh its a hard to explain learning issue hehe)

Comment

Get him some good books to read. Books that are part of a series. IE David Eddings would be a good author for him.

Also some Strategy games on the Computer would probably help him out as well. Stuff like civilization where you have to keep track on a lot of different things and a single game can take well over 12 hours to complete (obviously split up over several days). If you have a PS3 Civ Revolution is a basic more cut down version of civilization to get him into it.
                    You could also try some RTS games that have a fairly big story based element to it like Warcraft3. This would be good for him as there are a couple of main characters who's story you follow.
                    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

<insert ad>
                      I have heaps of D&D stuff I have been meaning to get around to selling... Older v2 and v3 books... players manuals, DM guide, monster manuals etc. (Really cheap like $40 for the whole set of 4 or 5 books) if you are keen.
                      </ad>

Anyway you can certainly buy premade adventures for differing lvls of characters but you really need a DM that knows what they are doing... otherwise it will be a lot of sitting around reading up stuff just tyring to get the game flowing. Is not something you really can just play for 30 minutes or so either. Just creating a character from scratch can take a few hours if you dont know what you are doing.

Would be much better also in a group rather than just a single player but most session can get quite loud/noisy so that may well make things worse and may actually isolate him a little?

If you do want fantasy type books I can recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. They are pretty easy going reading wise (TBH I am not sure of the reading level of a 9 yo but I would have thought it would be ok).. the advantage I see with the Shannara series is there are some constant characters and themes thruout the different books that hopefully he can remember while also new characters who are the sons or duaghters of, etc so it has ties thruout while also being a new book.

Having said that I think the D&D is a great option for a more hands on approach... having him decide what his character does and when, etc will hopefully cement the ideas into him more, so that the next time he remembers what his character was doing and why... just reading a book he may read it and enjoy it but unless you are going to quiz him about the book in a few days time you dont know if it has really sunk in?

Another option may be Runebound.

We basicallly dont have the time for D&D anymore so we play this occasionally. You still control a "hero" and why they go, what they fight, how they fight and if they win how the "heo" improves abailities so is still got some good stragey and thought but the combat system and general play is much easier than D&D. You still get to hack and slash or use magic, work out what items suit your particular character etc... so plenty to go off and the more you play hopefully he learns and remembers about items and tactics because the content is enjoyable and not "baby homework"..

Good luck...

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I have the full set of Talisman at home, thats altready on my list of things to try as well as possibly getting my hands on a copy of hero Quest or Descent. I'll see what I can find for D&D as there is less pretty visual and more relies on his ability to comprehend what has happened, what could happen and how he should react to it. I'll see how I go

Comment

D & D PC games I'd suggest. Baldur's Gate 1 the original saga incl Tales of the Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate 2, Baldur's Gate 2: The darkest day, Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, Icewind Dale 1, Icewind Dale 1: Heart of winter,
                          Icewind Dale 2, Neverwinter nights, Neverwinter nights: Hordes of the Underdark, Neverwinter nights: Shadows of Undrentide, Planescape torment. Most of these are older games that can be picked up in bargain bins and required low system resources. Google review of games for more details.

Comment

^^ i believe the OP was wanting pen and paper (ie, proper) D&D games, rather than computer based hack and slash.... point being to stimulate the imagination rather than spoon fed graphics...
                            “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

buy the kid monkey island
                              "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Working...
                              X