Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto sparky question

hello everyone

completely away from bikes but just a question for any auto sparkies or people who may have have gone through a similar thing.

i drive a 1974 holden torana and although its been a reliable drive, am looking to sell sometime in the near future. as is usually the case a number of problems have cropped up that i have just gotten used to.

well its time i start getting these fixed and the first is the instruments. i have a multi-meter (oil pressure, temp, fuel and charge) and only the charge guage works.

obviously the electrics arent good (though thankfully holden used common sense Bosch and not use Lucas, the prince of darkness).

i have called a few companies however the best answer i have gotten so far is "how long is a piece of string" and all insist on me bringing in the car, charging me for an estimate, then making the changes. wouldnt be a problem but work doesnt leave me much time.

not looking for exact prices, just some ideas on what type of costs i could be looking at

thanks in advance

I saw the first line of you post..... saw sparkie then torana, and just knew it would be about instruments.
    I work with an instrument tech who cut his teeth on these old gauges. Every one that we have seen lately is totally stuffed. You will probably need the gauges rewound and the 5 volt regulator replaced (holden called it a voltage stabiliser for some reason).
    Will ask him tomorrow and post an idea what is needed.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

How much do you want to sell if for as as?
      Possible buyer and would rather have as a project.

dependant on condition ect.
      IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Talked to the instrument tech. He asked if it was an SLR dash (more gauges) but basically its $80 for basic repair with new 5 volt reg and $80 extra per gauge to rewind/repair.
        12 months warranty.

Comment

hi darkfibre

it is the SLR.

so to fix the gauges it would be $80 + $240 = $360

the voltage gauge still works.

thanks for the help, what company do you work for? keen to get this thing fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by wdrummond View Post
            hi darkfibre

it is the SLR.

so to fix the gauges it would be $80 + $240 = $360

the voltage gauge still works.

thanks for the help, what company do you work for? keen to get this thing fixed.
            Worst case is $360 if all the gauges are gone, it is possible that its just the voltage reg, but they are getting old.

pm sent with contact details

Comment

Working...
            X