Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chevron gas project - worth getting qualified for???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevron gas project - worth getting qualified for???

hey guys
    as some of u might have seen on the Sunday Times, CHEVRON Australia has signed gas deals worth $70 billion, and im trying to see if it is worth going back to uni to get qualified??

im currently 23, an Industrial Design graduate and working for the government.

what do you guys think of the prospects??? should be some big money there,

what degree will allow me to be best qualified and "hire-able".... Petroleum Engineering? or Mining Engineering?

I dont mind going back to uni again

Thanks guys

Have a look thru here at the scope of work and that will give you an idea of the relevant jobs.

http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Doc...R_Robinson.pdf

http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Pro...ls.asp?PID=213

Edit: There won't be any "big money" at a graduate level in the professional/engineering fields.

Relative to the money you could earn in any of the labour/trades roles that is.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
      Have a look thru here at the scope of work and that will give you an idea of the relevant jobs.

http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Doc...R_Robinson.pdf

http://www.projectconnect.com.au/Pro...ls.asp?PID=213

Edit: There won't be any "big money" at a graduate level in the professional/engineering fields.

Relative to the money you could earn in any of the labour/trades roles that is.

wow fantastic help
      thanks mate

sorry for the noob question, but what is a relative income for professional/engineering fields up north?

Comment

How long is a piece of string.
        Best gauge of that is have a look at SEEk and compare the relative role/experience/qualification requirements of ad's for local vs FIFO jobs.
        The apesma site will also have some info you might find handy.
        APESMA Surveys
        http://www.apesma.asn.au/surveys/eng...ry_for_web.pdf
        sigpic

Comment

consider this:
          The project is kicking off late this year (by some accounts).
          You can get into uni, and finish ur degree within say 3 years...
          In 3 years time you will be a fresh grad, fighting with other fresh grads with no experience for limited jobs...

Ask yourself where can you be in 3 years time with your current role? Senior? Earning what kind of money?

Remember that grad roles are 80k max, for fifo positions...

Ps i dislike people who only do a degree for money... You will be one of those grumpy engineers who hates their job, but may earn big bucks... Why not instead do what you love, and be the best u can in that... Money will come when you have the passion etc...

Posted via Mobile Device
          "Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over"

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnutty View Post
            You will be one of those grumpy engineers who hates their job, but may earn big bucks...
            stabbity stab stab stab!
            Originally posted by Lefty
            Wouldn't be like me to upset the herd.

Comment

I am seriously considering dropping my job at DPI and going to do a trade and try get onto this project.
              Just not too sure what would be a good apprenticeship to take? Originally thought electrician would probably be the best but still unsure.

Comment

consider this:
                The project is kicking off late this year (by some accounts).
                You can get into uni, and finish ur degree within say 3 years...
                In 3 years time you will be a fresh grad, fighting with other fresh grads with no experience for limited jobs...

Ask yourself where can you be in 3 years time with your current role? Senior? Earning what kind of money?

Ps i dislike people who only do a degree for money... You will be one of those grumpy engineers who hates their job, but may earn big bucks... Why not instead do what you love, and be the best u can in that... Money will come when you have the passion etc...
                i disagree, im my current line of job for the government, in about 4 yrs time, will be lucky to be earning 90k, where as if i did a grad role in mining, it just keeps going up from 80ks

2ndly my 1st preference was engineering at uni, but just missed out and did industrial design
                also i tend to disagree about passion and work thing,
                i try and not mix the 2

Interest is different to passion imho

Comment

Yeah im gonnna try my luck getting work up there as a diesel mechanic.
                  A couple of years should do me.
                  IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Posted via Mobile Device

Bwahahaa 80k MAX FIFO?
                    I know plenty of grads who earn more than that in Perth.

I agree that you are a bit late to jump on the Gorgon/Chevron bandwagon as far as getting a degree and THEN working goes...

Poko, if you really want to be an engineer - then go for it... its a very hard slog though.
                    Speak to your boss and your department and see if you can get an internal transfer, or get them to sponsor you to do some training/courses at TAFE/uni... talk about where you want to go and what you want to do.

A good option may be to stick with your job, but get work to sponsor you to do your Construction Management cert at TAFE or something similar in mining/petroleum, get a transfer to a related government department - get a couple of years experience and then bail to the private sector if you want the $$.

Comment

Originally posted by BrenR1 View Post
                      I am seriously considering dropping my job at DPI and going to do a trade and try get onto this project.
                      Just not too sure what would be a good apprenticeship to take? Originally thought electrician would probably be the best but still unsure.

Electrician for sure.......

New project will consume many tradespeople from other projects.

Perfect time for you to slot into a trade....

Comment

Originally posted by -Stevo- View Post
                        Poko, if you really want to be an engineer - then go for it... its a very hard slog though.
                        Speak to your boss and your department and see if you can get an internal transfer, or get them to sponsor you to do some training/courses at TAFE/uni... talk about where you want to go and what you want to do.

A good option may be to stick with your job, but get work to sponsor you to do your Construction Management cert at TAFE or something similar in mining/petroleum, get a transfer to a related government department - get a couple of years experience and then bail to the private sector if you want the $$.
                        great advice there

unforunately im a contractor at Building Management and Works - part of Treasury and Finance, so getting them to sponsor me is gonna be difficult.

so u reckon its abit late to jump on the bandwagon for petroleum engineering??? even if i dont make it for chevron, will there be a big enough future for petroleum engineers?

im at a cross road atm: whether to continue in my current job and work my way up the corporate ladder, or go back and get qualified and hopefully do well through the mining/ petroleum sector

Comment

Not too late for petroleum, just for this particular project (to begin with, anyway)
                          There will be PLENTY of work in oil & gas in the future, I'm doing a couple of extra units to get my offshore eng major as well as my civil.

Just speak to your supervisor and operations manager or whoever you have, tell them where you want to go and what you want to do - they might know someone else in another department who can help you out... its worth a shot, worst that will happen is they say 'no'.

Comment

Originally posted by -Stevo- View Post
                            Not too late for petroleum, just for this particular project (to begin with, anyway)
                            There will be PLENTY of work in oil & gas in the future, I'm doing a couple of extra units to get my offshore eng major as well as my civil.

Just speak to your supervisor and operations manager or whoever you have, tell them where you want to go and what you want to do - they might know someone else in another department who can help you out... its worth a shot, worst that will happen is they say 'no'.

THANK YOU!!
                            really appreicate the advice

Comment

Stevo sums it all up..

my2c. If you're in it just for the money, become a process engineer(chemical).

I know four who are on average 6 years out, sitting between 125k and 175k.

That range seems to be from senior->principal.

Hard work to get there, but an easy job once you do.
                              "In all the human societies we have ever reviewed, in every age and in every state, there has seldom if ever been a shortage of eager young males prepared to kill and die to preserve the security, comfort and prejudices of their elders, and what you call heroism is just an expression of this fact; there is never a scarcity of idiots." -The Culture

Comment

Working...
                              X