Tax deduction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax deduction question

In the course of my work, I need to take photo's of samples and equipment.

If work doesn't provide me with a camera to use, and I purchase my own digital camera to do the job, am I able to claim the purchase price of the camera as a tax deduction (or just the work related portion)? Or does this fall outside of what constitutes as an allowable deduction?

I would say claim the percantage you use as for work, which is probably 90 percent anyway. if it's over $300 you might have to depreciate it.

I am not qualified but have claimed many things this way which my accountant says it's OK

Comment

I would of said yes but would be best to speak to an accountant if your unsure. I claim a lot of items i have purchased for work.

Comment

You can only claim the work related portion. ie if you use the camera 50% of the time for work & 50% private then only half the cost is allowable. Just remember if the work portion is over $300 it will need to be depreciated over time rather than claimed as a deduction

Comment

How would the ATO define time - eg, days or number of photos taken?

Comment

If your talking about time in terms of depreciation...you'll find its a % depreciated each year...from memory about 30% or so first year. That is genuinely of the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonchilds View Post
              How would the ATO define time - eg, days or number of photos taken?
              Basically they look at time as being well time...the actual number of photos is irrelevant. Have a think roughly how many times on average over a period of time (eg 6 times per month) and then look at how many of those would be for work and estimate from there.

your best guess is ok as the ATO has can't really disprove your estimate (just don't pick 100%).

Comment

I do a 2/1 roster, so would put 70% or something like that, but would likely take more pics away from work...

Comment

Working...
                X