Google Earth as media for Geospatial Blogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth as media for Geospatial Blogging

I've been playing around in Google Earth for a little while now and I'm looking for a way to turn it into sort of a geospatial blog. Essentially, I want to pin places and then use those pins to provide a link to a photo album or a word document. I'm leaning toward keeping all the documents and photos online to minimise fuss over pathing for the links (as opposed to making it one contained unit in a folder somewhere and maybe later burning it to a CD). I was wondering though, has anyone used GE in this sort of capacity before? Can you give me any tips with it? Are there any particular traps and pitfalls, or do I just pin away to my hearts content and place URLs in the pop up bubbles?

Cheers,
    lefty
    Originally posted by Ferris
    I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

As I said in the email, the images for Google Earth will be web-based anyway (unless you can save the cache onto the disc you give out), so it will be using the net either way...

Comment

Bump for the daytime crowd

Anyone played with this sort of stuff?

Comment

Google Maps (as opposed to Earth) already has the photo tagging thing and as they both use similar APIs I'd say it's possible. Have you had a look at the API?

D'Art

Comment

Haha, there has been a fair amount of offline discussion about this between Ben and I... the plan seems to be using a mixture of blogging and photo albums (both online) then linked with nodes/tags/pins/whatever term you prefer in GE. So rather than a typical blog that is presented chronologically with theme/keyword filters, the blog will be geospatially presented with theme/layer filters. The work done in GE is really just a skeleton of what has happened/been commented on/photographed by the user, GE then functions as the readers UI (as opposed to the album or blogs native online environment) and links to your photo album or blog post.

It's nerdy exciting.
          Originally posted by Ferris
          I love how PSB has turned into "Dear Martha"

Figure shit out yourselves, retards.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X