• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network or Large Capacity Storage

Friends, PSBers Motorcyclists

Lend me your ears ... and your smartz

Im seeking a bit of feedback on Network or Large Capacity Storage

Im currently looking at a storage method to house and maintain a large quantity of data. Currently I have about 3 TB of storage, however this is getting close to full again so I am going to have to look at expanding.

I have looked at things like a Drobo 8 disc unit and a couple of other NAS devices but I was wondering if anyone has any particular recommendations.

Ideally Id like to be able to create a 16 TB array with capacity for expansion either through daisy chaining another unit or adding further drives.

The system needs to be fairly fast, but I understand that a 16 TB array is likely to have some time overheads. It also needs to be reliable cause I cant loose data.

Anyway ... if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations Id be very grateful.

Cheers

H
    Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

budget?
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

How many servers will be accessing this storage directly Hewie? Is SAN outside of your budget?

Comment

Budget - If I can get away with sub 4k Id be happy. I have seen a couple of things like a QNAP NAS for about 2.5k then adding 8 x 2 TB WD HDs takes me to about 4k.

QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-809 Pro Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider

Servers - Nil ... Basically theres a full time wired and wireless network running but no server. The NAS would only be accessed by a couple of PCs .. namely my main tower.

SAN ... yeah no reason why not ... but its only for a home environment.

Comment

Do you mind getting your hand's dirty? ie whitebox SAN, or do you want a buy and plug in kinda deal?
          "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Plug and play if possible. Im exceedingly time poor so I need an easy to install easy to use/manage solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
              Budget - If I can get away with sub 4k Id be happy. I have seen a couple of things like a QNAP NAS for about 2.5k then adding 8 x 2 TB WD HDs takes me to about 4k.
              That won't give you 16TB of storage hewie. You said you wanted reliability so the Raid overheads would eat into your storage...

Comment

What backup strategy have you got planned to backup 16TB?

Comment

Originally posted by merctom View Post
                  That won't give you 16TB of storage hewie. You said you wanted reliability so the Raid overheads would eat into your storage...
                  what would it give me ?

Originally posted by lee View Post
                  What backup strategy have you got planned to backup 16TB?
                  at this stage .... crying if it breaks .... in all honesty Im not sure how Im going to manage it all.

whether I run 2 8 tb arrays and mirror within the unit or have a second set up ..

biggest issue is atm I have almost 3 tb of unprotected data

the enitre array does sit on a full time UPS so I dont ever get power outs so really all i need to cover is disc failure

Comment

thought about as been said just a white box?
                    all my media is on a box with an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard and 2 4 port Sata cards.
                    Which give me the potential for 16 Sata drives, 8 onboard and 4 on each card plus IDE if you chsoe to have you OS on IDE.
                    currently runnig 8TB of storage over eleven drives, and cause im lazy i just use windows shares to other machines and xboxes.
                    as for backup kharntiitar runs a media server and has another machine it backs up to periodicly on his network.
                    Elcheapo solution. but i dont like proprietary NAS devices cause if it shits itself i cant take the drive out and just dump it in a machine or a caddy cause of their own gay filesystems.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewie View Post
                      what would it give me ?

at this stage .... crying if it breaks .... in all honesty Im not sure how Im going to manage it all.

whether I run 2 8 tb arrays and mirror within the unit or have a second set up ..

biggest issue is atm I have almost 3 tb of unprotected data

the enitre array does sit on a full time UPS so I dont ever get power outs so really all i need to cover is disc failure
                      16 Tb array would would loose about 2Tb if you went with Raid5, and 4Tb if you went with raid6.

How much usable storage do you need? first post you said you wanted 16Tb but now your saying 2 8Tb arrays?

Comment

Originally posted by burlyoaf View Post
                        all my media is on a box with an Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard and 2 4 port Sata cards.
                        Which give me the potential for 16 Sata drives, 8 onboard and 4 on each card plus IDE if you chsoe to have you OS on IDE.
                        currently runnig 8TB of storage over eleven drives, and cause im lazy i just use windows shares to other machines and xboxes.
                        as for backup kharntiitar runs a media server and has another machine it backs up to periodicly on his network.
                        Elcheapo solution. but i dont like proprietary NAS devices cause if it shits itself i cant take the drive out and just dump it in a machine or a caddy cause of their own gay filesystems.
                        But that system has no reliability or redundancy? if you loose a drive you loose the data on it.

Comment

re: backup, would good ol tape backup give you some more options (e.g. LTO 4)

Comment

16TB is well outside the range of SOHO NAS devices.
                            I'd look at something like the Thecus N7700 as it's a large capacity device that is stackable when you need extra capacity. It'll also take 7 discs in RAID 5 and is a piece of piss to set up.
                            For pretty much anything NAS related I would recommend one of the Thecus devices, they really are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by burlyoaf View Post
                              Fuck white boxes.
                              This will be for Hewies video and pictures, I'm sure he won't mind paying fa bit extra for a dedicated device that will do exactly what it's supposed to.
                              White box solutions for storage are a false economy.

Comment

Working...
                              X