Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Vista + Win7 upgrade and Win7 full?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Vista + Win7 upgrade and Win7 full?

Ok, I'm stuck on XP for all my PC's at the moment, and want to get Windows 7 when it comes out.

Pricing at the moment is Vista Home Premium x64 for $149 at PLE with a free upgrade. Windows 7 is going to start at $299 for a full copy of Home Premium.

I'm tempted to go down the Vista + Upgrade path due to the cost, but are there any set backs/differences to doing things this way instead of paying an extra $150 for a full copy?

I know the 95/98/Me upgrades were horrific, but I'd expect things to have moved on a fair bit since then.

What's everyone's take on updating to Windows 7?

I'm interested in this too.

New laptop will arrive early next week with Vista on board, but it does have a free upgrade to 7.

*subscribed*
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

Comment

i would assume that they will giv you a full upgrade to windows 7... and u might of found a loop hole where u can get it for a little cheaper maybe??

Comment

The XP-Vista-& upgrade path is probably a good way to go, as you can't directly upgrade to 7 from XP. You can use XP as your previous version of Windows, but you have to format the computer and install 7 fresh.

The only other thing to be wary of is the upgrade paths available. There's a set of rules governing which version of XP allows you to upgrade to which version of Vista, and another set of rules for which version of Vista will allow you to upgrade to which version of 7.

If you don't feel like reinstalling everything from scratch, you need to do a little homework.
        '====
        //`
        -Magilla
        They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
        Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

wait for the 22nd october and if you can get it sent to US freight forwarder get the Windows 7 family license. for home with 3 pc's and estimated price i think is going to be about $140+ us$$$

Comment

I'd be intending to do a format and put x64 vista on most of the machines, then do the upgrade when it comes out.

I was asking a question more like "Should I get Vista & upgrade to 7 for free, or wait till Win 7 comes out and pay the extra for a full version?".

Apparently the Win7 upgrade DVD's don't allow you to re-install Win 7 without installing Vista first.

Comment

Wait! The win 7 dvd's will have both 32&64 bit givin you a choice

Comment

who runs 32-bit anymore?
                "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

The vista CoA is portable between 32 & 64-bit versions anyway - but why would I buy a 32-bit copy for a reasonably new machine?

So there's not going to be any potential issues if I buy Vista & upgrade to Win 7, rather than buy Win 7 outright...

Comment

No. And if you're goning to format and install from scratch, it should be fairly easy.
                    '====
                    //`
                    -Magilla
                    They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                    Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

apparently ..
                      cheapest way to go is upgrade..
                      so long as you have installed a valid copy of windows OS.
                      easiest upgrade is 32bit to 64bit..

start 64bit upgrade.. checks OS.. formats hard drive and installs W7-64
                      sooner than later .. viola..done..

this info was originally supplied by a MSSBT.
                      Norm
                      Its a Tour not a Race - Just don't get in my way when I'm Touring.

OzVFR.net MGP Tipping Mews News

Comment

I wouldn't bother with trying to upgrade Vista64...

I spent a weekend trying to do it, luckily for me i'd done heaps of full system backups.

Eventually i did a clean build (problematic) then a clean build from within the crappy one, now it works fine.

W7 downloaded 3 Meg of drivers on the last build, and it went smooth, the Vista upgrades had varying issues, from one build with nothing, to numerous drivers missing (mainly Jraid.sys - Jmicron Esata Raid driver).

As to cost... I bought a Technet subscription (tax deductable for work) $512 per yr... this gives me 10 Win7 Ultimate licences to use at home for 'testing purposes'.

As I have that many PC's\Laptops's here they are all getting a copy.

These are full retail licences with no expiry. BUT must be only used on MY machines.
                        Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

i was looking at upgrading from xp to vista but a programe i was about to buy it would not work on an upgrade it had to be a clean vista , i think it was a corel program ?? the vista that came with the new computer was vista home basic and i have found i have so much trouble getting some programs to run and people with vista home premiun can get the to run okay

Comment

So the general consensus is that the Vista64-Win7 upgrade isn't worth it?

If you've got a Win7 upgrade license, is there anything stopping you from using that license on a clean/full Win7 install if you bought a full copy of Win7 later on?

(Eg, Win7 CD + License, + Upgrade License shared between 2 PC's?)

Comment

That $149 for vista + win7 upgrade is OEM pricing.

The $299 for Win7 you quoted is most likely retail pricing. OEM pricing should settle around the same as vista, or not much more I would think?

Fuck upgrading. Install fresh to minimize any system instabilities.
                              Spam

Comment

Working...
                              X