Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used vehicle warranty advice - Anyone in the trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used vehicle warranty advice - Anyone in the trade?

Bought a used 2005 Mazda 3 for the wife 05/08/2009.
    On 18/09/2009 the cruise control shits itself.
    Dealer is notified within 2 hours.
    Appointment is made by phone 18/09/2009 to dealer to take car for WARRANTY repair today, 24/09/2009.
    Wife drops car off as arranged and is told she will be rung.
    Wife gives up at 2pm and rings them.
    Dealer rep tells her, "There's something wrong with the cruise control (well duh!) and we're not going to fix it under warranty".
    The moment the car was dropped off, apparently the service department contacted the sales crew who told them "we're not paying for it".
    Is the dealer legally obliged to fix this under warranty?
    Thanks,
    Andy

If its a warranty that was upsold to you during purchase, you may find the fine print will have a big long list of what is not covered. Some of these warranties are also only valid if you follow a bogus service schedule that takes you back to the same dealer.

Read the policy, they are normally clear on what is excluded, probably you will find electronic controls are excluded
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

mate stat warranty covers everything for 3 months or 10000km (edit might be 5000kms )after purchase date
      comes with that car as long as the car hadn't travelled more than 150,000km before purchase date

Comment

Originally posted by RT View Post
        mate stat warranty covers everything for 3 months or 10000km (edit might be 5000kms )after purchase date
        comes with that car as long as the car hadn't travelled more than 150,000km before purchase date
        Are you certain.... I need to do a search to find the rules then....

My experience of statutory warranties are they only have to cover things that make the vehicle unroadworthy or unserviceable..... accessories are not covered at all..

So much for memory then ^_^
        Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

hmmmm you might be right........ but if it the car was advertised claiming it had cruise control, then the cruise must work.....

Comment

my ignition back in 98 was covered under stat warranty (3 months) so can't see why cruise control isn't. Part of the electrics. I thought first 3 months was everything.

Comment

A statutory warranty does not cover:
              • routine services
              • tune-ups
              • batteries
              • tyres (however, tyres must be roadworthy at the time of sale)
              • accessories
              • defects that arise from an accident or misuse of the vehicle.

taken from here ... Here

Accessories is items YOU get fitted to the vehicle not accessories in the car already.

Comment

hmm having read a few sites now ... my ignition was replaced because that stopped the car from "operating".

Your cruise control does not stop the car from working so I think its not covered. If you can prove the salesman said it was working and it isn't then that could be your only angle.

having said that its quite easy to call ACCC and ask the simple question or spend hours hunting on the interwebz for an answer that isn't really clear

Comment

Yeah but pretty sure, unless its an item listed as NOT covered, it *IS* covered

E.g. power windows, door latches, seats. Stuff that is meant to work but is not an item designed to wear out (tyres, brake pads, clutch as listed). Stuff that you would have fixed under a regular warranty anyway.

Suffice to say, maybe don't call the ACCC. Call the Department of Commerce hotline. 1300 30 40 54 for consumer protection and ask them. Trust me this kind of question is less stupid than the 10000 other inquiries they get per day

p.s. I am biased, I work there

Comment

oops sorry pkunk ... that's who I meant ... Its even in my link

Comment

Originally posted by Pkunk View Post
                      Yeah but pretty sure, unless its an item listed as NOT covered, it *IS* covered

E.g. power windows, door latches, ....
                      My door locks were playing up.

Rang holden, drove in that day, dropped of car, locks replaced, no question, no hassles.

ABS was showing an error. As above. Drove in same day. Electronic speed sensor replaced.

All under warranty.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dugy View Post
                        My door locks were playing up.

Rang holden, drove in that day, dropped of car, locks replaced, no question, no hassles.

ABS was showing an error. As above. Drove in same day. Electronic speed sensor replaced.

All under warranty.
                        new or used car?

@OP: I have a mate who owns a used car yard, I can ask him tomorrow morning if you really want to know from someone in the biz. let me know.
                        Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

From working at a Major Yard in melville, the only things covered under a "pink" slip warranty are things llike your engine, trans, suspension etc. pretty much anything required to make the car driveable. Stuff like cruise control arent, unless you were upsold onto a better package, but even then, they may try and get out of it. (dodgey bastards)

You need to find any warranty info that was given to you, (minimum is pink slip), and read thru and find out whats covered.

By the way, what year is the actual car? never know, it may still be under factory warranty!

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                            My experience of statutory warranties are they only have to cover things that make the vehicle unroadworthy or unserviceable..... accessories are not covered at all..
                            Wrong, they cover everything except consumables.

Comment

A quick update and thanks to all.
                              The dealer saw reason and has fixed the car at no cost to ourselves.
                              To that end, I'd like to congratulate Wanneroo Mazda and in particular, Steve Webb.
                              Thanks guys, excellent outcome.
                              Andy.

Comment

Working...
                              X