Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spearfishing.

Hey all

I want to take up spearfishing. Anyone know where I am permitted to do so? I was thinking about possible going out tomorrow seeing as I have the day off. I am going to start small with a snorkel, mask and fins but in the next few months I hope to get my open water SCUBA ticket.

So where can i spearfish and any other tips will be much appreciated.

Cheers in advance.

EDIT: Will fisheries WA charge me for a license? Also what fish should I not catch?

1) You can spearfish anywhere but for the protected zones/sanctuaries. Fisheries department has a map on its site somewhere. Pretty much anywhere within (I think) 800m of Rotto, Marmion Marine Park and maybe one or two other spots are no-go, AFAIK you're clear just about anywhere else.

2) Dunno what the new licensing requirements are for fishing. I believe if you're fishing from shore you're fine otherwise you need to get the new boat fishing license, check with fisheries or recfishwest for the latest news on the demersal scalefish bag limits and licenses.

3) Only cuntfaced spunkguzzlers spear on SCUBA. Srsly. Enjoy a bit of a challenge, spearfishing whilst freediving (ie snorkelling and breathholding) or go to the shop and buy your fish there. Spearing on SCUBA removes the sport of it - you're shooting fish in a barrel so to speak - and screws the habitat for the rest of us. BAD juju, man. But bringing home a 15kg jewie that you speared freediving at 17m? That kinda achievement is good stuff. You work for something, add a bit of luck, and on top of the sense of accomplishment it gets you fed and bitches wet.

Most dive shops will be able to help you out with the rules etc plus best gear and hints of locations for the mass extermination of sea kittens - worth dropping in on your local dive shop for a chat!
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

most of WA's fishing laws specifically outlaw spearfishing on SCUBA. and i agree with Simon - it's cheating, weak and what's decimating our stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
        3) Only cuntfaced spunkguzzlers spear on SCUBA. Srsly. Enjoy a bit of a challenge, spearfishing whilst freediving (ie snorkelling and breathholding) or go to the shop and buy your fish there. Spearing on SCUBA removes the sport of it - you're shooting fish in a barrel so to speak - and screws the habitat for the rest of us. BAD juju, man. But bringing home a 15kg jewie that you speared freediving at 17m? That kinda achievement is good stuff. You work for something, add a bit of luck, and on top of the sense of accomplishment it gets you fed and bitches wet.
        Thirdeded.

Comment

Agree to disagree

Some people have self control and dont just go out there to kill shit for the sake of it. Go old school use a gidgee

Comment

Regardless of if you kill lots or not, it's still cheating.

Comment

^^^ agree. i've done both, and prefer (and only use) a gidgee. much more sporting. now i only took a speargun when diving in a tiger shark prone are off Coral Bay for security (before shark shields).

Comment

i can sell u a gidgee if u want lit real cheap.
                Hot air balloons, the gentleman's escape vehicle.

Comment

I am a cuntfaced spunkguzzler, I have been for years
                  I never kill anything I dont intend to eat, I never kill more than will be eaten.
                  I cannot freedive to 20m + where the schnapper & dhufish are, never could never will.

Bert
                  It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Excellent information.

Can anyone suggest an area easy for beginners (less sharks and shallow water), I cannot hold my breath very long at the moment. What kind of fish should I be going for (that wont drag me into the deep blue).

Anybody willing to take a noob under their wing to teach them some stuff sometime?

Comment

Lit
                      Have you done much snorkelling before ?
                      If not, get some gear and get swimming, somewhere interesting like Marmion marine park and get comfortable with it before you start to do it with a loaded weapon. It takes a while to get really comfortable with it.

Just look for and at fish, practice swimming quietly and following the contour of the rocks etc to get close to fish (be stealthy)
                      You need to get close because a gidgee only has an effective range of about 4m an average speargun about 6m or 8m
                      Look and learn where you will find fish & to identify them, some books use a star rating to grade the fish for edibility.
                      Once you know what you are looking for/at you will then know if it's worth putting on your plate.
                      Dont Kill Thing You Dont Intend To Eat !!! or Karma will get you

Bert

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                      Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

dive with a buddy, you neva know when you are gonna get some sweet shallow water blackout action happening. 5 fathom bank is good but you will be hard pressed to get someone telling a good spot on a forum - you can't be sure how many tankers are going to spoil it.

o yer, have a speech with lots of short and sharp points as to why you should be allowed to spearfish ready as you might get some loon trying to mince you with their prop while shouting at you for killing all the fishes. also i discovered that you shouldn't use big words when you are dealing with them as they get confused and start going off at you for being pompous and smart mouthing them off.
                        Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

I cannot hold my breath very long at the moment

^^ theres your problem mike
                          Motorbikes run on fire and air. Its elemental -Matt Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by pley3r View Post

^^ theres your problem mike
                            The nail head has been hit !!!

I grew up near the beach, snorkelled and swam like a fish
                            Then I wanted to be cool and tough, my diving and swimming ability seemed to fade away.

Bert

Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

[QUOTE=Captain Starfish;1606471]1)

QUOTE]

This.
                              Scuba spearing is majorly frowned upon. Over east its illegal, i was shocked to hear that it is permitted over here.
                              You will get far more fish freediving anyway.

When it warms up a bit il come out for a spear if u want.
                              IM ALWAYS ON THE EDGE, ITS ONLY THE SHARPNESS THAT VARYS

Comment

Working...
                              X