Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SATA drive on older mobo

Hey,

Got a little problem, bought a new hard drive for the PC with SATA connectors, the motherboard (ASUS P4S800 MX) doesn't have SATA plugs so bought a PCI card with SATA and plugged it all up.

Now the problem, the drive doesn't show up at all. I've installed all the drivers, and updated the BIOS too, nothing I can do seems to work. Tried the manufactures too, didn't really get much help there. So throwing it out there, does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Any suggestions for what I'm doing wrong? If you need more info on the system let me know.

Maybe it's just time to upgrade...

Cheers in advance.

Try manager under my computer ( right mouse click) authorize the hdd

Comment

yeah you will need to format the HDD
      "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

If you're adding a new drive for storage, right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then go to Disk Management and see if you can see it in there. If it is, you'll need to partition it, format it, and assign a drive letter to it. I think you normally get an "Initialise Drive" option that will do most of that for you. If it doesn't show up, check device manager for it, and the SATA card. they should both be in there, with no yellow or red markers. If they aren't there, then you have issues.

If you mean that you are trying to install Windows to the new HDD, then no, it won't show up in the BIOS. You'll need to press F6 when setup starts, and supply a floppy disk with the drivers for the SATA card.
        '====
        //`
        -Magilla
        They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
        Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

You need to Initialise the hard drive.

Get to that screen via instructions above, then you will need to find the right hard drive in the little bar things below in the pic. Right click on it and there should be a option to "Initialise" it. Just follow the prompts, easy done. Do the same after its done intitialising, but click "Format", no need for a full one just do a quick format. Then your done.

You can now use your hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
            If you're adding a new drive for storage, right-click My Computer and select Manage. Then go to Disk Management and see if you can see it in there. If it is, you'll need to partition it, format it, and assign a drive letter to it. I think you normally get an "Initialise Drive" option that will do most of that for you. If it doesn't show up, check device manager for it, and the SATA card. they should both be in there, with no yellow or red markers. If they aren't there, then you have issues.

If you mean that you are trying to install Windows to the new HDD, then no, it won't show up in the BIOS. You'll need to press F6 when setup starts, and supply a floppy disk with the drivers for the SATA card.
            Yeah got windows on the old IDE HD, so not trying to install it.

The SATA card shows up in Device Management, but the HD doesn't show up in that or Disk Management.

Thanks for the help guys, but looking like the mobo is just too old.

Comment

Did you get software with the sata card? you may need to use a utility to get windows to recognise the drive.

How old is the motherboard?
              "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Yeah got software for the SATA card, all installed, will double check there's nothing i missed though.
                Got the mobo in 03/04, cant remember, was a while ago though.

Comment

It should be fine with it. Strange...
                  '====
                  //`
                  -Magilla
                  They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                  Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Working...
                  X