Software problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software problems

Ok I'm having some WEIRD problems with an ACER extensa 5620.

Just completed a format for a mate to get rid of the after affects of not knowing how to clean a trojan and messing with the registry

So I'm getting rid of vista and putting XP back on - long story short it keeps coming up with 0x0000..50 blue screens during the vista installation, but it let me install XP (I'm not sure why, microsoft says it's a RAM problem but the laptop is near new)

Now the bloody thing won't let me install XP SP3 (Yes I have legit copies of XP PROF SP2 so let's not start that debate), nor office 2007, nor 2003... I can't understand it. All these weird errors about missing files.

I know for a fact that the copies I have of each of these (yes legit again just in case you forgot) work - I've used them heaps of times before.

SP3 says "file is corrupt" during the initial unpack and halts installation

Office 2007 says some file is missing and aborts, but the other time I tried it said something about not having the right version of win installer

Office 2003 says it can't find PR103368.CAB which is right there in the freakin' D:\office directory on the CD.

What the hell is wrong with this thing? Different software (yet all microsoft.. hmm ), completely freshly installed operating system... could a ram problem really do this?

Seriously frustrating. I'm pretty computer savvy but obviously not enough to fix this one - hopefully someone who knows more than me can offer some insight?

Cheers in advance for any helpful advice.

(yes I am tempted to throw it through a window and get another one but I feel bad letting my mate down.)
    Nothing from something.

run memtest
    could also be a dodgy cd drive
    "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I ran win diagnostics and it kept failing every test. Strange its just over a year old this lappy.

I'll give that a shot next, trying now to update the windows installer.

Thanks for the help.

edit: Merctom, Ran memtest (hci design free version) endless errors. Methinks now that I was originally right with the RAM suspicion. Weird for a newish lappy though, with the amount of errors I'm surprised the damn thing even loads.
      Last edited by zed7fiddy; 01-10-2009, 10:50 PM.
      Nothing from something.

Comment

seriously run memtest86
        "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by zed7fiddy View Post
          ACER
          There's your problem...

+1 for memtest86

Comment

Originally posted by zed7fiddy View Post
            edit: Merctom, Ran memtest (hci design free version) endless errors. Methinks now that I was originally right with the RAM suspicion. Weird for a newish lappy though, with the amount of errors I'm surprised the damn thing even loads.
            Not weird considering it's an ACER. Rock bottom prices....bottom of the barrel parts.

At least it's an easy fix though. New RAM is cheap as chips.

But yeah, with bad ram, you will often find windows will boot, but you'll just get random errors once you're in. I've even had a few that let me install windows and work for a few days, then after I deliver it to the client, they use it a lot more and start finding all the errors.
            Spam

Comment

Yeh I would never buy Acer personally... yuck.

But I want to fix it for him, he's not computer savvy and it's his "connection to the internet" so to speak.

I'd say its the ram. memory diagnostics bad. It seems not able to hold memory for very long so it's doing an operation then forgetting where it was doing it and generating a million different errors.

Anyone know a good place I can pickup 2GB of ram for this baby tomorrow? would prefer somewhere in town rather than online so I can have it up and running quicker.

I'll call PLE, austin etc - just a matter of whether they stock it.. if there's an ACER dealer someone knew it would be a quicker process.
              Nothing from something.

Comment

you dont need ACER brand memory.

Just figure out what sodimm spec you need. It's either DDR1 or 2. Speed is not an issue. Most likely you'll be using the slowest. Though even if you bought faster spec ram it'll just slow down automatically.
                Spam

Comment

You need to get DDR2 SDRAM - 667.0 MHz - get 2 x 1Gb chips (should be about $30 each).

Thats if you are absolutely sure thats its the RAM not bad sectors on the HDD or a flaky CD-ROM

Comment

Nah it's not the CD rom, I've been using ISO's to try and install things (eg Service Pack 3) and that doesn't work either.

As for the HDD I've played with a fragged HDD before and it has different symptoms (slow, not letting you access random folders, not booting up well, etc etc)- I don't think it's that, chkdsk also comes up with nothing.

Its definately DDR2 667 MHz though hopefully $49 from PLE will rectify it.

Edit: Was just thinking, why 2 x 1GB sticks? does it really make much difference?
                    Last edited by zed7fiddy; 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM.
                    Nothing from something.

Comment

running 2x1GB sticks or a single 2GB stick doesn't really make a difference these days. The idea is that if it can run dual channel then you need matching pairs.

Getting 2x2GB would be overkill.
                      Spam

Comment

Default configurations from Acer were 2x 512 or 2x 1Gb. I have found that sticking to the defaults offered can stop some weird bios headaches from appearing when working with computers form companies like acer and HP.

Comment

Ah alright.

Took the advice and put in 2x1GB sticks. Solved everything, so it all worked out.

Surprised that RAM issues cause stuff like that though - guess I can understand why but had never seen it before.

Cheers for all the help.
                          Nothing from something.

Comment

Awesome it's all working.

Now install Vista not XP.

Comment

Originally posted by merctom View Post
                              Awesome it's all working.

Now install WINDOWS 7 not XP.
                              fixed
                              Spam

Comment

Working...
                              X