Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada and Alaska Travel questions.

Bon jour!

MY GF and I are hopefully planning on Spending 6 weeks or so driving from Los Angeles to Alaska in around may next year.

Originally I was thinking I would PM Apatheticend with a few questions but then I remember that PSB is such a vast pool of intellect that I would put it out there for everyone.

I was hoping anyone with any great ideas or information could post them up and I can hopefully start planning the trip.

The general idea which is in its infancy is to drive up there and follow the spring up in order to see all the animals come out and stuff.

We dont want to battle with ice and snow although it would be nice to get a day or two skiing in. I also hate the cold unless its snowboarding so Im not sure if its worth worrying about the skiing and going a bit later to get some warmth. Although checking seasonal temps its seem Anchorage is damn cold all year around.

We would also be considering going through Montana and stuff and out to Lake Louise with some time cruising around Vancouver Island hitting Victoria and Tofino.

So does anyone have any experience, stories or tips to help me out? Thanks all.
    My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

The areas around Vancouver and Victoria Island are amazing to explore.

Didnt get to tofino as we didnt always have our own transport, but heard its even more awesome.
    If you cross back to the mainland from Nanaimo, the painted turtle hostel that is a converted boutique hotel run by an Aussie and Canadian couple was the place to stay.

The zodiac boat tour from Victoria to see the killer whales (very up close and personal) should NOT be missed!!!!!!!

Comment

Make sure your French is decent, impress the locals with your French avec Aussie accent.

Comment

Originally posted by redfern View Post
        Bon jour!

MY GF and I are hopefully planning on Spending 6 weeks or so driving from Los Angeles to Alaska in around may next year.
        You've already got the most important thing correct by taking 6 weeks over it. In 1993 my friend and I drove from Los Angeles to Los Anchorage in 7 days - which was ridiculous in retrospect as it's almost 6,000km. I was constipated from days 3 to 7 due to greasy food and vibration.

We did it in a 1967 Ford Ranchero with a 390 which I also heartily disrecommend.

If you start in May and take 6 weeks you won't be hitting the gnarlier reaches of the Alcan until June so the weather will be fine. I did it August and it was fucking heaving with flies 24/7.

Comment

Bon jour!
          We dont want to battle with ice and snow although it would be nice to get a day or two skiing in. I also hate the cold unless its snowboarding so Im not sure if its worth worrying about the skiing and going a bit later to get some warmth. Although checking seasonal temps its seem Anchorage is damn cold all year around.

We would also be considering going through Montana and stuff and out to Lake Louise with some time cruising around Vancouver Island hitting Victoria and Tofino.

So does anyone have any experience, stories or tips to help me out? Thanks all.
          I grew up in Calgary, and lived in Banff for a short time. Lake Louise was where I spent my weekends. Season ususally ends the middle of April at Lake louise, end of May at Sunshine Village (a bit closer to Banff) but at that time of year you need to be reasonably committted to skiing/boarding as the conditions can be variable. Roads will most likely be clear of snow at that time of year, but there are occasional surprise storms (once every 5 years...)

If you are searching on the interwebz, and still keen on sliding on snow a much better place to play (in my opinion) is Kicking Horse Mountain Resort. Steeper, more challenging terrain. About an hour away from Lake Louise, usually better snow, but closes about the same time. Even if there is enough snow cover, the resorts usually close at that time because all the customers have switched into "summer mode".

The road between Lake Louise and Jasper is "must see" if you are in that neck of the woods, and I can prolly think of a few others as well.

Comment

I spent a few years in the Okanagan (my wife is from there), and its a beautiful spot (halfway between Vancouver and Calgary), also one of the warmest. Its a bit out of the way to go through if you are going from Van straight north, but worth it IMHO. I dont know much about the road north, but I was in Fort Nelson (and Fort St John), for a while, and I can recommend leaving. Fast.

Vernon, BC - Google Maps

Fort Nelson, BC - Google Maps
            Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

Originally posted by xphread View Post
              Didnt get to tofino as we didnt always have our own transport, but heard its even more awesome.

The zodiac boat tour from Victoria to see the killer whales (very up close and personal) should NOT be missed!!!!!!!

I went to Canada for a week about 5 years ago, it was on my way to a 3 month holiday around Europe and I am kicking myself for not spending more time there because that week was better than the whole of Europe combined.

I went on a whale tour from Victoria and all I saw was a porpoise and some smelly sea lions so Im very keen to see some actual wales.

Im also dying to see some humongous Grizzlys. From a distance...

Originally posted by sparkmonkey View Post
              but at that time of year you need to be reasonably committted to skiing/boarding as the conditions can be variable. Roads will most likely be clear of snow at that time of year, but there are occasional surprise storms (once every 5 years...)

The road between Lake Louise and Jasper is "must see" if you are in that neck of the woods, and I can prolly think of a few others as well.
              Im am keen to snowboard and so is The GF but she is useless at it so Im not sure I am keen to suffer 6 weeks of cold for a few days snow boarding so maybe going later is the key. Plus the more of the Perth winter I miss the better.

Thanks all keep it coming.
              My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

I was there last year. We looked at driving but decided there was way too much open road so we took a cruise instead. Don't regret that choice for a second. We went in May and Anchorage was cold - It actually got warmer further north. Highly recommend getting up to Denali nat park, words just cannot describe the place.
                Get up to Whistler for snowboarding but at that time of the year the snow is starting to get a bit soft so experience is a must.

Comment

I went on a whale tour from Victoria and all I saw was a porpoise and some smelly sea lions so Im very keen to see some actual wales.
                  Now that you will have time, you can take on the guarantee that if you dont see any whales, you can keep coming back for free until you do. (or maybe that was only during the season when we were there??)

Didt see any on the first trip. Went straight out on the next one again, and apparently (according to the the guide who had been running tours for years) it was the best (tour group) sighting he had seen.

They have to stop the boat 200m away or whatever the requirement is... but the pod turned and came to check us out.

We were right at the front of the zodiac, so when one of the big ones passed under the front of the boat to see what we were up to, we were no further than 3m from him. The most scary and exhilarating experience to have a 15cm eyeball staring directly at you... knowing its attached to one of the only animals not to have a predator. ie they pretty much fear nothing. Will never forget that day.

PS - and you wont need to bother with french if you are staying in the western half! ...they dont!

Comment

Thanks Xphread, what sort of whales were they?

Did you see killer whales or bigger ones?

I didnt worry about French in France so Im not gonna worry about it in Canada.

Comment

Thanks Xphread, what sort of whales were they?

Did you see killer whales or bigger ones?

I didnt worry about French in France so Im not gonna worry about it in Canada.
                      Sorry... killer whales.

Apparently you can see the bigger whales (humpbacks maybe?) migrating off the coast of Tofino etc if you are in the right area at the right time.
                      (but you can see them in WA.... killers are a bit rarer to watch!)

Comment

Originally posted by Flamedance View Post
                        Get up to Whistler for snowboarding
                        Sorry, cant help it, have to say it: Stay away from Whistler.Yes, it's huge, yes its amazing, and yes, its just like hanging out in Perth. Except colder. Sometimes. There are heaps of snow hills around the place, not all of them in the rockies (so therefore not all of them stupidly cold), and the smaller the hill, the less aussies it will have. When I worked at Silver Star, we had relatively few aussies, only 40% or so, Whistler was around 70-80%. Personally, I go to different countries to meet new people, not hang out with someone who lives 10kms away.

/end rant

The only time I would say go to Whistler is either on a top to bottom powder day, which can be tricky to plan for, or the week leading up to the olympics. For some reason its normally like a ghost town then , the locals run away because they think there will be heaps of tourists, the tourists stay away because they think there will be heaps of tourists.
                        Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon! Press the brake foot as you roll around the corners, and save the collapse and tie up.

Comment

There was 1 kiwi chick when I was there and no aussies cept me. Wasn't overly cold either. Was mainly americans on spring break so I had a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by xphread View Post
                            Sorry... killer whales.
                            (but you can see them in WA.... killers are a bit rarer to watch!)
                            One interesting bit of trivia is that Killer whales are the 2nd most naturally widespread animal on the planet, only behind humans. I learnt that on the whale tour in Victoria.

Comment

sparkmonkey and others in the know. I have hired a bike to go for a ride out of Calgary for Saturday 13th July. I was hoping to hook up with a half a dozen riders from the Calgary Motorcycle riders forum but they are doing a 12 hour ride and I need to have the bike back by 4pm (I'm flying out on the Sunday). Also I think I will prefer to be able to take a bunch of pics along the way and stop at sights/cafes/shops where the guys might otherwise prefer to keep riding so I'm happy to go it alone. I have checked all of the routes in this link: Ride Motorcycle Roads in Calgary, Alberta, Canada at MotoWhere.com and some look sooooo promising (eg Calgary-Canmore-Lake-Louise-Hwy-1A [Motorcycle Route] at MotoWhere.com) but when I zoom in the roads look oddly straight. Help me plan a route please!
                              Last edited by Lolly; 29-06-2013, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X