"Caveman" Diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Caveman" Diet

I have heard of it before, but just listened to a half hour podcast interviewing the guy that runs this website, Mark's Daily Apple, Mark Sisson. Yes, he was on to help flog the new book, but a lot of it sounded pretty sensible

Known as many things, the Caveman Diet, Paleolithic Diet, 10,000BC Diet, and his interpretation, the Primal Blueprint. The basic jist of it is that our bodies are still "programmed" for life thousands of years ago, eating basic foods and living a hunter/gatherer sort of life.

He recommends that we "eat plants and animals" ie, meat, fruit, veg, whole grains, and avoid things like processed foods, sugars, breads and other grain foods. As for exercise, move around a lot, at a low level of activity. Occasionally, some maximum energy stuff, like sprinting, for when you are chasing down dinner or running for your life.

Looks to be working for him, he's 54.
    (except for the whole looking like Gary Busey thing)

Anyone care to DISCUSS?

A good post by redfern, and possibly beating him to it

Originally posted by redfern View Post
    One thing I try to live by is what I call 'The ten thousand BC diet.

Most shit in today society is high calorie, cheap, quickly digested crap but this isnt what the human body has evolved to be able to handle.

As we all know Evo takes a long time so while we are chowing down sugary drinks, high carb breads, biscuits , and sugary cereals, then chowing pasta for dinner our body is still designed for life ten thousand years ago.

If you look at all this logically with no science involved its is mostly stuff that when thrown in a bucket of water will turn to mush almost instantly.

When you swallow it, it turns to mush in your stomach just as quickly, so your body has these tiny particles of food that are easily digested and as they are high in energy your body cant burn it all and stores it as fat.

Now a lot of people will say " but I dont eat much junk food, why am I so fat? I must have big bones or a bad metabolism its hereditary"

Well the answer is because most shit that is considered normal food by our brains is actually junk food by the bodies standards. So we need to not only stay away from junk food but also stay away from high calorie food in general. Foods like Bread especially white bread, Cereals, Pastas, biscuits and cakes and especially soft drinks"

So ask yourself how many of these you eat in a day, I can honestly say I dont eat any of these daily and can easily go a whole week without any of them. Maybe Rev's, OD, Druu, and other PT's can mention how often they do

Now Im not trying to say cut out all carbs because that isnt smart your body needs them, what I am saying is change the carbs you eat.

I eat rolled oats for breakfast raw, with nothing but skim milk. I eat Jerky for a snack I eat chicken and salad pita bread rolls for lunch, Before I go to the gym I will eat more oats and for dinner I will eat meat and salads(no dressing, If you must have dressing use an egg). I only drink water, milk and tea in a day, and have some low carb protein shakes.

I am 95 kilos, and I walk 3 km in the morning to 1hr+ in the gym in the arvos and then I will walk again after the gym for another 3km.

I can survive on this much energy so others should be able to as well.

It is possible to change metabolism and all it takes is a diet change, Your sweet tooth will also change, people think Im mad for eating raw oats but after doing it for a while I actually started tasting their natural sweetness.

Back to the original idea, if they didnt eat it in ten thousand BC try not to eat it now, back then they ate vegetables, whole grains and meat.

So try and stick to this simple idea when making dinner, it doesnt make it any harder to prepare and treat yourself to one cheat day a week but dont over do it.

I hope this could help Im not trying to preach but I find people over complicate the whole diet thing and then it becomes a task instead of being easy and logical. You wont need to count calories or constantly read labels if you stick to this idea.

Disclaimer: Clearly there is a bit of technical stuff I may not have mentioned, but I am trying to keep it simple easy and healthy.

Comment

That's what the people that told ur friends to avoid carbs are getting at. Cavemen didn't eat wheat. Cavemen didn't eat noodles. They clubbed shit and ate leaves.

So eat fresh salads and big fuckoff steaks. And club your women. All will be well. You'll have better sex, get less AIDS, intimidate the other guy into backing down at da club, etc.

Protein++

Comment

The Art of Manliness Podcast #3: Primal Living with Mark Sisson | The Art of Manliness The MP3 is available somewhere on there, about 35 minutes worth

Comment

The resemblance to Gary Busey is unnerving.

Comment

except he looks healthy. It's like he's Bizzarro Busey
            Find me on Instagram

Comment

Makes sense too me!

Comment

For a minute there I thought Gary Busey was one of his celeb clients and had done a photo testimonial.
                Originally posted by Melkor
                The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

But cheees, wine and bread are SO GOOD, pasta is good too, omg CAKES OMG YUM CHOCOLATE OMGGGGGG CRISPY FRIED ABACONAIONDIONAORINRH#*(#PRP*((P$*U(*WUXASD

Comment

My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

Wow, I've been reading "Evolution" by Stephen Baxter. It's his take on the evolution of man, from the earliest primates. It's not a technical journal by any means, and he does take the liberty of poetic license, but even so, it's got me thinking a lot about what I eat lately.

And then this thread turns up. Nice work. I've begun to eat quite similarly to what redfern described in his post, except for the no dressing on salad bit. I can't do without a splash of dressing. It's been 4 days now, and already I feel a lot better during the day. I find I'm not getting 3 o'clockitis anymore. The regular exercise is also helping.
                      Work Buy Consume Die

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                        That's what the people that told ur friends to avoid carbs are getting at. Cavemen didn't eat wheat. Cavemen didn't eat noodles. They clubbed shit and ate leaves.

So eat fresh salads and big fuckoff steaks. And club your women. All will be well. You'll have better sex, get less AIDS, intimidate the other guy into backing down at da club, etc.

Protein++
                        i like the cut of your jib..or is it gib

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                          The Caveman Diet...
                          I believe you speak the truth Benlindito. I myself, have the opinion that this is how we have evolved, physically, to live to our fullest potential of health and wellbeing.

BUT, I am also a realist. And if my big-ol' brain tells myself that I love cheese and alcohol way too fucking much to give it up aaaanny day now, then so be it.

^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Bendito View Post
                            He recommends that we "eat plants and animals" ie, meat, fruit, veg, whole grains, and avoid things like processed foods, sugars, breads and other grain foods.

Anyone care to DISCUSS?
                            Good advice generally - except for one thing - and that's that cavemen had to spend a huge amount of time every day hunting, gathering and eating their (generally) low nutrient foods.

Processed food meals provide more energy at a sitting thus freeing us up to eat less often and do other stuff. Does anybody here seriously have time to eat berries, grubs, leaves etc all day long?

There's nothing wrong with bread, cereals, milk, butter, cheese, etc - people have been eating that sort of food for tens of thousands of years.

It's all about common sense and moderation. To stay thin and healthy, energy in needs to equal energy expended. If follow this simple rule, it wouldn't matter if you ate McDonalds, or the bark off a tree, you would maintain the correct weight.

(Oh and btw, cavemen used to only live to about 30.)
                            "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

I'm pretty sure other features of their lives would have vastly contributed to that fact Spock, and not their diet.

Also, you require a lot more from your diet than just energy. If all you ate was McDonalds, or the bark off a tree, you would almost certainly lack essential nutrients required for normal cellular metabolism, and would eventually perish from that reason, if the diet remained the same. A healthy body does not neccessarily mean a thin body, to my opinion. Just some food for thought for you.

I do get where you are coming from, in that it doesn't matter so strictly what exactly you eat, but how much of it, related to physical activity, etc. Which you are wise - it is very good advice.

Comment

Working...
                              X