Home Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Phones

So, after receiving the latest bullshit bill from Optout for our home phone (land line), and noting that of the total $92.30 charged, only $13.01 relates to actual calls & all the other costs are made up of miscellaneous charges, I was wondering how many people still have a land line (given that everyone has mobiles these days). My missus has a pre-paid mobile & mines covered by work, so I'm thinking of getting rid of the land line. Any opinions?

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Go naked !
    National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

I've seen some posts about naked on here before - what exactly does that mean?

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

we do not have land line wife and myself use mobile vodafone gives $300 value for $29 for 60 days and our internet is mobile wireless. no reason for telstra.

Comment

I'm with Optus broadband as well - which also sux (paying too much for slow speeds). Anyone suggest the best option to save some money & also get decent speed fo the net?

Comment

Originally posted by Sumfun4me View Post
            I've seen some posts about naked on here before - what exactly does that mean?

Naked DSL is were they remove the ability to make phone calls from your land line and it just works for adsl and VOIP(internet phone thingy with ordinary phone number you can keep your current number) saves $30pm in line rental, voip can also give a lot of free calls
            only downside is you will first need to move your phone to Telstra so that someone like iinet can take over your line and convert it to naked
            National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

Home phones are a rip off. I've got a cap on the mobile and have been using that for years. Only recently got Naked from iinet but that was mainly for the net, the free phone is a bonus.
              Milk, milk, lemonade, round the corner Adelaide

Comment

Originally posted by The Dr View Post
                we do not have land line wife and myself use mobile vodafone gives $300 value for $29 for 60 days and our internet is mobile wireless. no reason for telstra.
                same except for 49 dollar cap for mobiles
                Guns don't kill people, people with moustaches kill people.

Comment

If you line is not already with Telstra, it can be a problem because it ends up costing quite a bit making the change to naked with iinet.

For eg, Telstra charge a connection fee to setup your line/account, at best that costs you $59 i think, assuming they dont need to send a technician out.

These days, because so many people were connecting lines and then moving straight over to iinet, Telstra lock you in for 3 months after connection. If you leave straight away, they charge you another $100 or something.

Then iinet charge connection/setup fee too.

But once your on naked, its fantastic. You have the fastest ADSL you can get, plus a VOIP home phone which works exactly the same as a normal fixed line, but with extremely cheap calls.

So factor those costs in before you jump into it.

Comment

So how does this all work in with Fox???

Would like to get rid of the land line as well

Comment

Dont quote me Stoney, cause I dont have Fox, but i do recall reading on Whirlpool about iinet tweaking the system so that Fox is no problem. You can also run fax machines and also have house alarms connected. All those things were originally out, but they've made them work.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                        So how does this all work in with Fox???

Would like to get rid of the land line as well
                        straight off the bat, it wouldnt. the phone socket your foxtel box is connected to is wired into the copper phone line that comes in to your house. voip needs to work through your modem.

the 2 options to make it work:

-get someone to wire up a socket near your foxtel box which goes back to the modem

-get a wireless 'digipath' from foxtel and plug the receiver in to your foxtel box and the sender in to the voip port on your modem.

or, if you dont order box office movies/main event/games or participate in online voting stuffs just unplug the phone line from the foxtel and forget it. the tv channels will keep working without it.
                        TV Antennas - Home theatre installations - TV's wall mounted - Phone and data cabling - TV reception service & repairs - Much more...
                        Discounts for PSB members
                        ----------
                        [email protected] - Ph: 0415 425 524 - or PM me

Comment

Just remember if ur downloading lots through bittorrent or likewise your uploads are counted in your quota with naked. Hence i have a phone line only for te interwebs = uploads not counted
                          Speed dosen't kill, its the slowing down that does...

Comment

If you go VOIP make sure you setup your quality of Service on modem/router so as the VOIP get's preference.

Playing COD4 online or torrents can be a real conversation killer for the wife when she makes a call during these moments.
                            Originally posted by Abuse this
                            Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

havent had a home phone since 1994
                              only mobile, $20 per month and free calls in my hour

Comment

Working...
                              X