Gallstones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallstones...

Anyone had them? What's the symptoms? I've done the usual Googling, but would like to hear first-hand too.

Cheers

My Dad had them when I was 8. Though my post may not be comforting since his gallstones caused the rare cancer that killed him two years later. The symptoms include rolling around on the floor in too much agony to move anywhere at all.
    Originally Posted by Maxo
    do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
    to Butters

Comment

Wow - I haven't read any symptoms that say extreme pain. Are you sure it wasn't kidney stones? Because they are sheer agony apparently.

Comment

Gallstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Symptoms
        Gallstones usually remain asymptomatic initially.[9] They start developing symptoms once the stones reach a certain size (>8 mm).[10] A main symptom of gallstones is commonly referred to as a gallstone "attack", also known as biliary colic, in which a person will experience intense pain in the upper abdominal region that steadily increases for approximately thirty minutes to several hours. A patient may also experience pain in the back, ordinarily between the shoulder blades, or pain under the right shoulder. In some cases, the pain develops in the lower region of the abdomen, nearer to the pelvis, but this is less common.[citation needed] Nausea and vomiting may occur. Patients characteristically exhibit a positive Murphy's sign: the patient is instructed to breathe in while the gall bladder is deeply palpated. If the gallbladder is inflamed, the patient will abruptly stop inhaling due to the pain, a positive Murphy's sign.

These attacks are sharp and intensely painful, similar to that of a kidney stone attack. Often, attacks occur after a particularly fatty meal and almost always happen at night. Other symptoms include abdominal bloating, intolerance of fatty foods, belching, gas, and indigestion. If the above symptoms coincide with chills, lowgrade fever, yellowing of the skin or eyes, and/or clay-colored stool, a doctor should be consulted immediately.[11]

Some people who have gallstones are asymptomatic and do not feel any pain or discomfort. These gallstones are called "silent stones" and do not affect the gallbladder or other internal organs. They do not need treatment.[11]

Comment

Had my gall bladder removed two weeks ago I had (relatively) silent gallstones.

Only defining thing I had was pain between the shoulder blades, which I thought was due to my bad posture. Nope tis one of the symptoms

It depends on what sort of stones you have as to what course of action is taken, my gallbladder looked like the inside of a shot gun pellet - one look an my surgeon went okay its coming out. Into theatre 3pm out home next mornin at 830am keyhole surgery easy peasy.

Difference???

Megga had no concept of how sick I actually felt, thought I felt normal - no gallbladder (that ended up being chronically inflamed) = energiser bunny aint got noffin on me nowdays !!!! Tis fantastic to finally feel well.

Comment

oh god, a hyperactive cowasaki is a scary thought!

(Glad to hear you're feeling better)
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Hmmm.

My symptoms are:

Pain between shoulder-blades, particularly when eating. Feels a bit like indigestion.
              Slight occasional nausea
              Sometimes difficulty swallowing
              Weird 'lump' feeling in my throat

Comment

Wookie... easy to have it sorted once n for all. Off to your Dr ask for an Ultrasound it will show if you have gallstones or not... 20 minutes of your time $180 of your hard earned $. Worth it for feeling good

Comment

The reason my Dad's were so painful were that there were 3 of them and they were all between 1.5 and 2.5cm in diameter, the doctor said they were the biggest he had ever seen. If you are concerned that you may have gall stones then just get an ultrasound, better to know then to not know.
                  Originally Posted by Maxo
                  do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
                  to Butters

Comment

Friend had them, this is her story. Horrible vomiting post food which progressively got worse and resulted in her being in a lot of agony before/after/during eating. No private health, she got them taken out at Charlies with the stones + the gallbladder being removed completely. Surgeon decided to do keyhole and took longer than 2? (will check) hours where upon the benefit from keyhole surgery (small incision scars) is removed by the increased risk of infection. She got an infection. She is also allergic to sulfur based antibiotics as well as penicillin + derivatives (whoops). Her infection spread and came within 4mm of entering her peritoneal cavity and causing septicemia (bad bad). Anyway long story short, bad gall stones, bad surgery, bad infection and it took ~2.5-3 years post surgery for her to be able to eat/drink without vomiting after it.

Good times.

End result: Have private health insurance, choose your surgeon wisely.

Comment

Gallstones

Not all gallstones have symptoms. Many people have them and don't know because they don't cause a problem. When they do go "off" common symptoms are pain in the right kidney area, right shoulder tip pain (sometimes going accross to the spine). Generally fatty foods will set them off for those who are susceptible. Biggest stone I've found was 5cm in diameter but the number of stones or size isn't always relevant. Smaller stones are more sinister IMO as they get caught in the ducts and block up the bile - resulting in liver congestion and a grossly dilated and tender gall bladder. Key hole surgery is the best option as long there aren't heaps of adhesions from chronic infection. Normally the surgeons like the infection to settle down a little before surgery, but that is not always possible.

If you've got them, stay away from fatty foods and often no surgery is required. If they're giving you grief, get an ultrasound done. If you take the request form to somewhere like Fremantle Hospital, they'll do the ultrasound and bulk bill it for you - no out of pocket expenses (same with x-rays and CT's). That way you can get the surgery done when you're not acute and the chances of infection are less.
                      Life seems more precious when there's less of it to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Wookie View Post
                        Hmmm.

My symptoms are:

Pain between shoulder-blades, particularly when eating. Feels a bit like indigestion.
                        Slight occasional nausea
                        Sometimes difficulty swallowing
                        Weird 'lump' feeling in my throat
                        Oh no sounds, just about the same as me

Originally posted by cowasaki View Post
                        Wookie... easy to have it sorted once n for all. Off to your Dr ask for an Ultrasound it will show if you have gallstones or not... 20 minutes of your time $180 of your hard earned $. Worth it for feeling good
                        mmm my next PET scan is on the 11th, the last bit of lymphoma is actually right near the Gallbladder, so this might be causing some of the problems, will get the surgeon/GP to check out the scan after the Hematologist is finished with it.

Comment

sounds like you guys need more fat in your diet
                          Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                          Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by arbe View Post
                            Gallstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A main symptom of gallstones is commonly referred to as a gallstone "attack", also known as biliary colic, in which a person will experience intense pain in the upper abdominal region that steadily increases for approximately thirty minutes to several hours.

These attacks are sharp and intensely painful, similar to that of a kidney stone attack.

and almost always happen at night.
                            These are what my symptoms were. Went to hospital during first attack, was diagnosed with a stress/anxiety attack. Wasn't happy, went to my GP during the week; got poked and prodded, ultrasound, surgery asap.
                            >>I like to play with snakes<<

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Comment

Went to the GPs yesterday, he asked which side of my back the pain was, when I told him left he ruled out gallstones immediately. Reckons its bad indigestion and gave me some tablets. Gonna see how they go.

Comment

Working...
                              X