Washing Machine Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Machine Repair

Anyone know anything about washing machines ?

I have a whirlpool top loader that's about 5 years old, it just died during a spin cycle, now if I turn it on it will do the wash cycle and when the dial gets to the spin it will just stop, no noises of any kind.

As I understand it these are not overly technical bits of machinery, anyone got any ideas as to what the problem may be, where to look or who to call ?

Thanks.

Most likely the lid lock out switch. If it'll do everything but spin, that's my bet from past experience. Either replace it or hook the two wires together to complete the safety circuit (make sure you tape them as they'll be 240V) and away it will go. The spin cycle will now work with the lid up or down, not cat friendly, but I see it as a win/win situation.
    Last edited by 19andrew59; 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Thats a womans toy. Why are you playing with it?
      In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
      Its the little things that make the difference
      Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
      If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by 19andrew59 View Post
        Most likely the lid lock out switch. If it'll do everything but spin, that's my bet from past experience. Either replace it or hook the two wires together to complete the safety circuit (make sure you tape them as they'll be 240V) and away it will go. The spin cycle will now work with the lid up or down, not cat friendly, but I see it as a win/win situation.
        Yea, that is what I was thinking, I know the machine will do a wash cycle with the lid open and the fact that there are no strange noises or attempts to start the spin cycle.

Ill take a better look at it tonight, probably just replace the switch.

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
        Thats a womans toy. Why are you playing with it?
        I think now that is broken it becomes mine..

Comment

When it's in the middle of a wash cycle, stick your head in.

That way you'll be able to see what's wrong with it.

Comment

Why don't you run along and let the adults play with the big scary machinery... *pats head*

Comment

Touche... but ever considered it was probably your 'playing' with the big scary machine that broke it in the first place?

Comment

Bra Wires FTL
                In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                Its the little things that make the difference
                Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Nah, his bras are wireless

Comment

Looks to be the switch... its O/C with the lid open or closed but if I stuff a screwdriver in there I get continuity.

Should not be too hard to replace... Though after opening it there is some nasty buildup on the inside of the unit and some rust and shit... I want to get it out to clean it but I can't get the nut off the drive shaft (the one that the agitator goes on) the nut looks somewhat like a pre-load adjuster from a rear shock, I tried one of my c-spanners but cant get it to budge... the drum wont come out without getting that off unfortunately..

I'll price up a switch and compare that to the cost of a new machine..

If anyone has some ideas on the nut let me know...

I was lucky enough to find the service manual
                    http://nathanalberti.com/images/6ALBR5233JQO.pdf

Comment

I got a whirlpool

tilt it over and see if you can see "black rubber stuff" (like rubber from a burnout) on the floor or bits of whiteish ABS plastic broken bits.

if yes, the cupling between the motor and Gbox is busted, and i dont think it even spins (at All) when this happens or makes any noises (like free spining lecy motor)

i have a had a few of these parts go over about 10 years of use, it saves the motor and gearbox from going "bang"

pretty simple to work on imo

you can get parts at the shop on lichfield st Vic park (just near duncun st) dont know the name sorry

if it is this buy a spare set, as it most likley will happen again in the next few years
                      Last edited by leeham; 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM.
                      Become a venture capitalist

Kiva, loans that save lives

Comment

is that nut (part 12) on page 12?

i also think you have to replace part 22, page 12 when you take it off

i remember snaping some lugs in it when i replaced parts 8,9,10 on page 12. it seemed i had to to get it out

after u do it tells us how as i would like to take the bowl out and give it a clean mines a bit grimy looking lol
                        Become a venture capitalist

Kiva, loans that save lives

Comment

Yea... #12 is the problematic one I think its rusted a little because #24 was missing.

That shop in Vic Park is just round the corner so should be easy enough.

I found out the grime is from washing with cold water too often, apparently it has to do with the levels of bleach in some of the bio friendly detergents (esp liquid ones). The recommendation was a maintenance wash one in every 15 with just hot water and powder (vinegar and baking powder were also suggested).

Comment

Phipps Electronics in vic park are very good, and from memory a whirlpool warranty repairer, I think thats who Leeham is referring to.

Comment

Find an Amway person and buy SA8, best powder for washing machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X