Can this be real!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can this be real!

This appeared in last weeks Sunday Times.
    WHat do ya think people?
    Real or Bollocks?
    If its real then it must surely explain the myth of spontaneous combustion.

It may be possible i dont know but something important to note is that its not just voltage that can kill you but you need a decent amount of amperage as well. Thats why some people may survive a lightning strike that has in exess of a million volts where as another person may be elecricuted on a 240V home mains supply. To create a potential difference of 30 000 volts in a jacket sounds way extrreme though, so i call bullshit. But its in a newspaper so it must be true

edit-Wait a minute where was he "conducting" the electricity from and how did his jacket store it? I call bullshit a second time
    support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

That's when you want to walk around offering free candy to little kids, here kids.. take some, I DARE YOU!
      Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

The 30,000V doesn't sound unreasonable.

The melting of plastic etc indicates a rather high current which seems a bit over the top.
        The right clothing under the jacket, it could build up that potential difference.
        But to store the energy to deliver that kind of current seems extrordinary.
        sigpic

Comment

maybe it was the energizer bunny disguised as a man

my vote also goes to bollocks
          The kneebone's connected to the something, the something's connected to the red thing, the red thing's connected to my WRIST WATCH

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Sep 21 2005, 02:51 PM
            The 30,000V doesn't sound unreasonable.

The melting of plastic etc indicates a rather high current which seems a bit over the top.
            The right clothing under the jacket, it could build up that potential difference.
            But to store the energy to deliver that kind of current seems extrordinary.
            [snapback]161942[/snapback]
            yer because they say the voltage went off the scale then settled at 30 000V. I very much doubt it could have the capacity for this

Comment

Possible

Comment

According to Reuters, it was 40,000 volts.

I call bullshit also.

Here's the link for those interested:
                http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/..._electricity_dc

Originally linked from Slashdot.

bman.
                Reporting LIVE from Scotland!

Comment

Looks like a job for mythbusters.
                  <div align="center">
                  "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

SHANANIGANS!!!

For it to melt the plastic it requires an amount of heat for a sustained period of time. To do this electrically you require a current for said amount of time. Static electricity is called that because it is STATIC in a sense that it&#39;s got bugger all current this is also the priciple behind the high voltage transmission lines because high voltage/low amps = cold conductors
                    Low voltage e.g 240/415v/higher amps = heat in conductors there for conductor sizes are larger.
                    In order to melt the plastic and burn the carpet he would&#39;ve had to sustained a circuit.

#2 All electricity is looking to find earth via the shortest possible route (that&#39;s why you and i get electrocuted) if he walked within 30 cm of any thing earthed (metal door frame, metal on bench, queue guidrail) he would&#39;ve discharged and you could have possibly seen a blue spark up to 30 cm long but not much more. It requires 1000v to jump 1cm in dry air.

once again SHANANIGANS!!!!!!
                    [COLOR=blue] spadaman spadaman does whatever a spada can

Comment

"We tested his clothes with a static electricity field meter and measured a current of 40,000 volts, which is one step shy of spontaneous combustion, where his clothes would have self-ignited," Barton said.[/b]

sigpic

Comment

I want one!
                        Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still

Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still

Whoever is filthy... let him be filthy still

Comment

Originally posted by pacman@Sep 21 2005, 05:16 PM
                          I want one!
                          "ShockPac" - Superhero

sigpic

Comment

HAhaha, sa-weet!@
                            Whoever is unjust, let him be unjust still

Whoever is righteous, let him be righteous still

Whoever is filthy... let him be filthy still

Comment

Originally posted by dugy@Sep 21 2005, 06:09 PM
                              [snapback]162107[/snapback]
                              how do you measure the current of something static? If its static electricity isnt it just like the electrons are stuck to a non conductor therefore cannot move therefore do not create a current?

Comment

Working...
                              X