Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HiFi Gurus - Anyone work for a HiFi mob?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HiFi Gurus - Anyone work for a HiFi mob?

Hiyas,

Well looking at finishing my home theater set up and need to get a 5.1 system.

I've looked at a few but I don't have a fancy budget IE. wouldn't want to go much over $2000.

I've had one place recommend Bose 301's for fronts a Bose center and 201's rears and some other 10" subbie.

Douglas Hi-Fi recommended PSB speakers and to be honest the guy really knew what he was talking about, ie didn't push for a sale .. reviews of the speakers are awesome too...

PS Image B25's B15s Alpha CB center and Alpha Subzero I sub.

Anyway just wondering if people here have had any experience in hi-fi stuff better yet someone that works for a Hi-Fi mob and can give me some non sales type advice.

I have have a good Yamaha amp, 120RMS per channel, also HD Plasma etc, just need speakers to top it off. Anyway anyhelp would be appreciated .

Thanks
    Will you insure me?!

Why not audition some Aussie brands such as KRIX - might stretch the budget though... You might be able to get 4 bookshelf/sats 1 x centre and a velodyne sub for $2k.

You need to consider whether you also want to listen to music as well as HT stuff - but you would have been told that by the sales guy...
    I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

Call Brian at west coast hifi joondalup - always gives good pricing

Dubs

Comment

Originally posted by tigerleo62@Sep 21 2005, 04:59 PM
        Why not audition some Aussie brands such as KRIX -
        [snapback]162031[/snapback]
        Agree....Krix are good and are used in a lot of theatres.
        Also look at AARON....another good brand.

General rule of thumb.....spend at least as much on your two main speakers as you did on your amp.

Comment

Originally posted by CB Boy@Sep 21 2005, 06:01 PM
          Agree....Krix are good and are used in a lot of theatres.
          Also look at AARON....another good brand.

General rule of thumb.....spend at least as much on your two main speakers as you did on your amp.
          [snapback]162093[/snapback]
          wys

try to listen to them aswell, coz like ya tongue, everyones ears work differently and what sounds good to me may not sound the same to you

and when you do listen to em set all the treble and tones to 0 or if the amp they use switches to direct audio then do it

price does not always work out to be the best guide for quality either

me i like english airmovers and japanese power

brands i like cos i am a brand person are yamaha, marantz, mordaunt-short, and denon, and the above brands for speakers.

my 2c

NAGA JOLOKIA CHILLI
          1,041,427 SHU
          go on you know ya wanna try one!

Comment

Wharfedale = good shit.

Comment

for 2 grand I would lose the 5.1 and go for a really nice pair of Mordaunt Short speakers (not the budget option!)

why be SURROUNDED by crap?

Comment

You could always build your own!
                You will get far better quality than the commercial shit at better price. Helps to know what you are doing though
                Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

Originally posted by ChOOkiE@Sep 23 2005, 12:54 AM
                  You could always build your own!
                  You will get far better quality than the commercial shit at better price.* Helps to know what you are doing though
                  [snapback]162934[/snapback]
                  I thought about it but i'm not very handy so i'll give it a miss.

But yeah 2500 is absolute max and for that you can get decentish entry level. The PSB set up i looked at had a really nice sound and upon further research has been given plenty of acclaim (made in Canada as well
                  Will you insure me?!

Comment

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Originally posted by Deej@Sep 23 2005, 07:23 AM

[snapback]163128[/snapback]
                      I think i may need to learn how to train turtles to be thinking about BO!
                      Will you insure me?!

Comment

VAF (www.vaf.com.au) make excellent speakers. They're Australian made & designed, you can buy them in kit form or pre-assembled. Don't bother with Bose or B&O...

Comment

I love my tanoys but it is truely what your ear likes better.

Tanoys and a Marantz amp

Comment

Working...
                          X