Grrrr! @ mechanics/my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrr! @ mechanics/my car

Ok, so be4 i start my weekly rant, i just need to clarify a few things.

Yes this is about my car (hence Yada Yada)
    Yes this is about a 'filthy cage' and i know that no PSBer will ever be seen dead in one
    Yes this is about a Holden
    Yes your witty car/holden/ford comments are so clever

So ive got a year old v8 Berlina, its nice enuf, but being 5.7L it can be a bit thirsty. When i see these 'fuel evaporation' systems available i decided to get one installed. It seems to work too, my instant and average L/100km seems to be 1-2L lowwer.. nice

Then yesterday i get home and notice something smelling quite... odd, like petrol. I look under the engine bay to see about half a cup of petrol already on the ground with a steady trickle leaking from the engine!!! Then i follow the trail out the garage and down the street!!

I dont have to explain the dangers of a petrol leak in the engine bay

The reputable company that installed the system (who shall remail annon for now) was less than concerned about the situation too. x2

So yeah.... not happy jan!!
    U win some...
    The rest u smoke
    MrMez.com

funnily enough I towed a car just a couple of days ago that has just had one of these installed. Apparently, when it was originally installed , there were problems starting the car. They said they'd fixed it, but I guess they were wrong. Not a leaking fuel problem tho, just another problem resulting for this modification.

Comment

Care to explain what one of these fuel evaporation systems is?
      http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

^^^
        mmkay

The theory goes... and yes im making most of this up as i go
        The idea is that only ~80% of fuel injected is atomised, leaving ~20% unburnt, hence wasting fuel/power. So if you heat the fuel, more should atomise, requiring less petrol to go the same speed (or so the theory goes).
        The idea has been around for decades, but nobody (ie oil companies) has found a reliable cost effective way of making this happen.
        This particular system uses metal collars around the injectors which transfer heat from the head, to heat the fuel.
        As ive said, i have noticed a difference in L/100km display.

++++UPDATE++++

Just had the mechanics over to have a look. Problem: damaged injector seal.
        IMO damaged by the installation. Problem is.... NOBODY in perth seems to stock them. Fuuk perth suck ass sometimes.
        I want to go4 a ride, but i cant move my car
        U win some...
        The rest u smoke
        MrMez.com

Comment

Hmm....saving fuel in a 5.7 lt v8, isn't that kinda like putting a turbo on a 250

Sorry, smartarse comments over with now.

Have you tried checking to see where the fuel is coming from? It might be something as simple as a loose hose clamp. (edit..posted before seeing above)

Have you given any thought to converting your car to gas? It could pay for itself in a year or two depending on how many k's you do.

Comment

you can move the car with a leaky injector seal, very unlikely that much would even come out at idle never mind catch alight. half the vl commodores driving around have petrol pouring down the side of their blocks and they dont (usually) catch fire.

if holden dont have them in stock they should be able to get them from over east within a day or two...
            Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
            "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

Sounds like a scam to me, the savings in fuel you've probably noticed are more likely due to the couple of warmer days we've had or changes in driving conditions.

Car companies have very smart very highly paid engineers and scientists working for them designing engines etc, do you really think they wouldn't have come up with such a simple idea themselves?
              http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

i agree its a scam. i imagine the heat transfer in the fraction of a section that the fuel passes through the injector would be negligible. could be wrong...
                Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

LPG conversion?

Comment

i previously owned a cage that i have since given to my younger brother but it was on gas and i found that it does save you alot of money and pays itself off if you drive normally
                    if you have two speeds "petal down" and "pedal off break on" then you chew threw gas quicker then petrol and u save nothing because u get less mile'age when you drive like that on gas

Comment

You do use more gas than petrol for any given distance etc.

I believe it is about 25% less efficient.
                      So for every litre of gas used, you would use about 750 mls of petrol for the same distance.

However, with gas being way less than half the price of petrol, it would still pay for itself.

Comment

problem with gas being that it's a "dry" fuel so you are required to run petrol thru it at a rate of 2 tanks of gas to 1 tank of petrol to keep seals in good condition. This maybe in just older cars but what i had to do with my 95 ute or install a lube drip system. bah
                        [COLOR=blue] spadaman spadaman does whatever a spada can

Comment

Fuel comes as a liquid. What injectors do is vaporise the liquid, like a mist, and spray it into the engine. The heater allows the fuel to be sprayed more efficiently as the particles seperate easier when hot and the computer senses less fuel is needed so adjusts the air/fuel ratio, otherwise the large drops of fuel are not burnt properly and end up down the exhaust.

The idea works, but the saving is about the same as putting a fuelsaver additive in your fuel.

Gas is good, but has so many hiccups. Blowing airboxes up, breaking down and the need of running petrol after a few times of gas.

My 50 pesos.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMez@Sep 23 2005, 03:28 PM
                            Just had the mechanics over to have a look. Problem: damaged injector seal.
                            IMO damaged by the installation. Problem is.... NOBODY in perth seems to stock them. Fuuk perth suck ass sometimes.
                            I want to go4 a ride, but i cant move my car*
                            [snapback]163132[/snapback]

get in car put car in neutral .. roll car back.. simple!

as for the seals i would have thought be a common part since teh gen3 been around for years
                            RIP Scott!
                            RIP Onikage!
                            RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Originally posted by spadaman@Sep 23 2005, 05:07 PM
                              problem with gas being that it's a "dry" fuel so you are required to run petrol thru it at a rate of 2 tanks of gas to 1 tank of petrol to keep seals in good condition. This maybe in just older cars but what i had to do with my 95 ute or install a lube drip system. bah
                              [snapback]163209[/snapback]
                              dedicated gas. All our trucks run on gas only. surely this can be done for cars too.

Comment

Working...
                              X