Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine Work? General Q & A!

Hey all,

Was wondering if there are any ppl out there with mine experience or have an insight into working at mine sites. All i hear is that they are a top source of short term cash injection if your capable of hard yakka and living away from home for stints at a time.

Im looking at finishing my Masters in a month and want to head overseas for a 6 month binge in July so im obviously looking for sources of solid income without intrenching myself into an organisation that ill be leaving in a short time!

Merely just trying to seek some info about pay, levels, positions (and titles) and work involved at Mines in WA.

Cheers,
    KC aka BuNKy

ning Ning NING!!!

it all depends how much you want to get before you go.
    if you want mooocho mooola's you'd be best to go construction and do 5 week stints but that's a pain in the arse and it takes about 2 stint's

if your prepared to do it for 6-12 months do a fly in fly out operations position on a shorter roster.

either case if you just want to work and piss off early go and ask some questions at some recruitment agencies like mining personnel, skilled, workpac, etc etc coz that way you get a bit extra but no benefits and you can walk out easy as coz your only a casual employee

anyway that's my 2c's

cheers
    chris
    [COLOR=blue] spadaman spadaman does whatever a spada can

Comment

you will most likly need a HR licsense, First aid certificate, MARCSTA and mines health

al piss easy to get but about $350 ex the HR licsense
      RIP Scott!
      RIP Onikage!
      RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Depends on whatyou want to do. If you don't mind standing next to a dirty great noisy schram in 40degrees plus and getting dust in orifces you didn't know you had most drilling companies are looking for drillers offsiders. Lifting heavy things washing rig, refueling rig, washing rig, driving water truck, washing rig, collecting samples did I metion washing rig? HR license would be of great advantge to neascary depending ont he company usally 3 and 1 stints sometimes 2 and 1. Around 60-80K a year but you are bottom of the food chain and get treated accordingly.

Geologist field assitant is probally a better job with miniumal experince and qualifications but pay will vary however the Iron Ore industry is going ape crap at the moment so it shouldn't be a problem. Surveyors assitant is probally another thing you could try and slot into that doesn't avoid stinking great RC drilling rigs. I could probally get you a start as a down hole surveror but our company is relatively small and needs around 18 months out of an operator to make the training worth while.

Dump truck drivers are on really stupid money at the moment but most drivers usually start in the gold industry to get the experince where the pay is not so spectacular. Personally I would think long and hard before going underground there is however good rewards for doing it. The other thing to look at is a trade assitant on a construction/ shutdown job, I would try for an electrican's TA or Instrument fitters TA over a welders or fitter the work is a little better. Most other jobs you need a trade or experince in the job to get in the front door.
        Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

there are heaps of different ways to earn bulk cash when workin away. mining isn't the only way to do it but there is heaps of construction gonna be happenin up north over the couple of years that should start in the next few months. one of the easiest ways to get a job wit good cash is to do a rigger/scaff course and working at heights. that way, projects offshore etc are easier to get into. it sounds as though there are a few guys on here that know a fair bit about this kind of shit so just leave it open for a bit.....

either way, mining or offshore ya can't go wrong if u can get a start. it helps to know people though...

Comment

what exactly does a down hole surveyor do and what would qualifications for a job like that include ?

Comment

If you can handle hard yakka go down to AGC Refractory in Kwinana as well as
              Collex Refractories also in Kwinana, these companies do maintanace work on mine sites
              which depending on the scale of the job can take between 5 days to 3 weeks, you will clear for 5 days $1600 , 7 days $1900 and if you do nightshift aprox $2100 per week.
              Just be prepared to work with some real dick heads, that's the only downer to this
              particular industry.
              And make sure you can pass the drug test, don't even bother trying to to use some
              kind of screen as they will make you do another test.
              Hope this info helps you out.
              Rock it - Roll it an Twist it!!

All new parts available, contact me anytime.

Comment

sounds good to me i been looking at doing some work in the mines aswell get up some good money i have just spent the last couple of months going thru the selection process for the navy only to get knocked back for the position i was going for because i didnt "have a big enough background in physics" altho no one had mentioned to me before i needed physics or i could have done a bumper course

Comment

Thanks guys all very informative.

Looks like i need to do some more digging!

ning Ning NING!!!

Comment

I have just got myself a FIFO job, took me nearly 6 months to land one. It helps if you know someone already onsite or have a trade that is highly sort after.

Cant comment too much yet as I havent done my first stint. All I know is it's good money, long hours and HOT

Keep you updated.

Comment

Where abouts Pure Power?
                      Originally posted by Viper
                      I'm probably fucking something up.
                      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                      Administrator

Comment

once ya in its hard to get out as going back to the crappy money back in perth or the city doesnt compair plus when ya get a week off every 2 weeks its good

might pop over to thailand on my next break

Is Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Ninja@Oct 12 2005, 03:54 PM
                          once ya in its hard to get out as going back to the crappy money back in perth or the city doesnt compair plus when ya get a week off every 2 weeks its good
                          might pop over to thailand on my next break
                          [snapback]171817[/snapback]
                          Its not all crappy here. Not that I've ever been on mines salary, but I'm quite happily enjoying 4 day weekends here! .

Co-incidentally Thailand is the first stop on my next break too. (but that wont be til Jan)

Comment

Originally posted by xphread@Oct 12 2005, 04:12 PM
                            Its not all crappy here. Not that I've ever been on mines salary, but I'm quite happily enjoying 4 day weekends here! .

Co-incidentally Thailand is the first stop on my next break too.* * (but that wont be til Jan)
                            [snapback]171823[/snapback]
                            well last time i was in perth which was last month the weather was cold raining and crapppy though came here its 35 plus everyday not a cloud in the sky

Is Dead

Comment

even just doing a dogmans course at the moment will get you places, offshore is where the money and better conditions normally is, although the isolation is tough, not too dissimlar to somewhere like Yandi or Area C etc... Mines that are in or near towns such as Karratha, Hedland (although hedland is a fucking dump), Newman are a little easier to live in I have found, I have worked at about 6 or 7 different minesites over the past year, definite good way to make a buck.
                              The kneebone's connected to the something, the something's connected to the red thing, the red thing's connected to my WRIST WATCH

Comment

Working...
                              X