Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone got Solar on their House - Feed Grid??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got Solar on their House - Feed Grid??

Does anyone have a setup on their house to feed the grid with power?

Be curious to see the costing, if any rebates or tax deductions.

Many questions...

Have emailed these guys about getting some figures together
    for a recommended install etc etc -

Solar My HOUSE!!

Ha...

Remember if you are feeding the grid then you are getting an income so it will be taxed...

This has been mentioned...

My mum has it...her power meter runs backwards during summer...

Comment

I have wondered also if you need to register for G.S.T. to sell back to the grid?
      They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Is it an income? I was under the impression that you just have a credit when you get your bill. I.e. If you supply the grid with $100 in electricity then you bill would be $100 in credit..

Is it for your house? Are you relying on what excess you supply to counter the outlay of your system? Because that can take some time to break even. Don't scrimp on the panels either, the rest of the system is alot easier and cheaper to replace.
        If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was money well spent...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          Ha...

Remember if you are feeding the grid then you are getting an income so it will be taxed...

This has been mentioned...

My mum has it...her power meter runs backwards during summer...

Ah, sounds like a good idea to me!!

Will look into it for sure, if in the event the credit has to be declared (guessing!!)
          then surely the install/upkeep could be used as a deduction??

Originally posted by ratman View Post
          Is it an income? I was under the impression that you just have a credit when you get your bill. I.e. If you supply the grid with $100 in electricity then you bill would be $100 in credit..

Is it for your house? Are you relying on what excess you supply to counter the outlay of your system? Because that can take some time to break even. Don't scrimp on the panels either, the rest of the system is alot easier and cheaper to replace.

Yes it would be for my house, have a large roof area facing East/West.
          For sure it would take time to break even, keeping it in my mind
          the power costs are destined to increase.
          Will see what info I get back from my query.

Comment

I'm deadset keen on solar but being a renter I am hesitant to spend anything that improves someone else's house. If it's easy enough to install and later remove to take somewhere else, then I'll look at it.

Solar tech has taken a few small steps forward over the last few years, too, so it could and should be a viable alternative.
            2006 Yamaha R1SP;
            In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
            Amen, brother. Amen.
            My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

As far as income is concerned it is not currently taxed it is looked upon as a hobby if that hobby has benefits so be it although I would expect it to be taxed in the future so whacking a 8kw system on your roof and not living there I'd expect to be taxed. Rebates work for up to 1.5kw after that you have to pay for it also is means tested. Still waiting for mine to be actually fitted, you also need to look at your house orientation and weather its in the shade for any period of time and if you don't have the current generation of power meters you'll have to fork out for that to be upgraded too.
              Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Dad had it installed about 9 months ago, at the end of last summer. The bills they have been getting are <$5, so its working out well for him as there are 3 people living there. Cost him $1800 for the install I believe.

I wish I had it at my house to be honest, it would make running my air con in summer bearable ($500 for 2 months :o)
                http://www.insearchofacocktail.com - Check it!

Originally posted by lee
                how is that erotic? that's some chick laying on a towel on the floor with her hand down some where's wally knickers with preposterously sized fake cans and shaving rash around her hooch.

Comment

Some Information, I guess its up to date??

1.3 kW .6x215W Solar World panels. 6 units per day*.5.5yrs for payback**. $3,176.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***

1.5kW .7x215W Solar World panels.7 units per day*.5.3yrs for payback**.$4,056.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***
                  (Gov.RECs multiplier rebate cuts off @ 1.5kW.)

2.15kW. 10x215W Solar World panels. 10 units per day*. 5.3yrs for payback** $6,433.00 profit after payback in 10yrs ***

2.6kW .12x215W Solar World panels .12 units per day*.5.5yrs for
                  payback**.$7,859.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***

3.6kW .17x215W Solar World panels .17 units per day*.3.7yrs for payback**.$16,081.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***

4.3 kW . 20x215W Solar World panels. 20 units per day*.3.7yrs for payback**.$19,633.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***

5.2 kW .24x215W Solar World panels. 24 units per day*.3.7yrs payback**.$23,996.00 profit after payback in 10yrs***

*all unit per day amounts are derived from the true industry standard of 4.6kWh per 1kw of photo voltaic panels daily averaged over a year using quality modules. This may vary as environmental conditions and seasons dictate.

**estimated projection based on July 2010 A1 tariff of 20.8c per kWh ,the 1 August net feed-in tarriff of 40c kW h and 7c REBs ,$37 value of RECs including federal gov multiplier , based on avg household energy consumption of 12 units per day.

***approximate projection of profit after payback based on min 10 year net feed-in tarriff of 40c kWh+7c REBs , based on avg household energy consumption of 12 units per day.

Electricity has now risen by 18% since December 2009 to 20 cents kWh/unit .The introduction of the net feed-in tarrif on1 August 2010 and the strength of the AU dollar have dramatically driven prices to the point where solar power is truly good value. 1.5kW Energypak systems fully installed (inc. GST) including SolarWorld modules(Germany), Kaco or SMA inverter (Germany) and Shletter mounting system(German) are currently available for under $5,000.00 after rebate to a single storey home standard installation.

Comment

my folks have a 1.5kw system and they get about 9kw/h per day in summer.
                    Wes

Comment

There are now quite a few operators in this market, best to get a few quotes and work out what's best. Do a bit of research into what the numbers actually mean. cut out the spin and evaluate what you need, what you get for your money etc.

I've heard these guys aren't too bad.not sure on price:
                      Solar Electricity Systems - Solar Energy - Sun Connect Australia

If you can afford the initial oulay, I'd say do it. Electricity is only going to cost more in the future. The longer it is on the roof, the mroe money you are getting from it

Comment

if you pay any more than about $3.5k for a 1.5 system you are getting ripped off.
                        Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                        Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Be careful guys, there are German made solar panels as well as Chinese ... I'll leave it to you to guess which are the quality ones.

My mum has looked into this and is very keen, one of my neighbours works for Western power and isn't too keen on the idea. This will need a fair amount of research so you don't burn $$$.

My only question is, what happens to the rebates if every household goes solar? Will it go like LPG for cars? Notice how the price went up when a lot of people decided to stick their cars on gas.
                          Last edited by Ozboy; 04-10-2010, 07:30 PM.
                          07 MV F41000R
                          09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
                          07 CBR 600RR trackbike
                          sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

It boils down to being Green, if you care about the planet, then you would think about having a solar installation, me, a numbers man,....i would be long out of this house before i recovered the outlay for the set up......and the planet will still be here for the next 40++ years, so it'll be here whilst i need it....

I would, as a minimum have a smartpower meter installed and run most of you high consumption appliance after 9pm. go the the synergy web site.....worth a read.

Comment

my folks have a 1.5kw system and they get about 9kw/h per day in summer.
                              We've got the same - currently putting out about 8.5Kw per day - up from 4.5 in mid winter. Should crank out about 11-12Kw in mid summer. Still waiting for a bill after having the smart meter installed...........
                              “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

Working...
                              X