House insurance claims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House insurance claims

Looking for some hints on how to progress please people.

We got broken into 2.5 weeks ago and a heap of little things got stolen.

The claim was just moved to an assessor this morning and the convo went something like this.

M: Hi Dubs I am your assessor Mary and we need to arrange a time for me to come and see you about the claim how's next week.
    D: Sure monday's looking good.
    M: 330pm fits for me
    D: sorry Mary we're both FT workers and can meet you after 6pm
    M: company policy says I cant be there after 530pm
    D: OK so how do we arrange this then?
    M: well I can be flexible and come over in the morning around 830am
    D: Mary, we're both FT workers as I said and work from 0830-515 so we can''t be there at those times.
    M: well I have to meet you at your property to see the scene and take some photos and see proof of ownership of goods.
    D: then I'd like it assigned to a different assessor to be more flexible
    M: we all have the same policy
    D: (giggling) Mary you cant be serious that you are being flexible, again, we both work full time and we'd then be happy to meet you in the cbd to discuss
    M: no, i need to meet you at the property.
    D: so i need to discuss with my boss that I need to take off work to meet you for my claim that you guys can't make out of general business hours?
    M: then yes.
    D: Mary you do realise that I can get a mortgage or a pizza or most other services after 530pm and yet you guys wont come out to my property? no matter, what proof do you need?
    M: boxes, manuals, photos of you wearing jewellry.
    D: well we only need to provide proof of one item of jewellry as you're only paying $1000.
    M: no, you put more on the claim and you need to substantiate ownership of all goods.
    D: NO, if you are not going to consider any other items of jewellry over $1k then why would I need to substantiate to you the insurer?
    M: because its on the police report
    D: and I am happy to provide that information to the police but as you ARENT CONSIDERING ALL THE ITEMS I'd like to know why they need to be substantiated?
    M: because thats what we need.
    D: Mary, so I need to take time off my full time job AND provide you with information on stolen goods that you arent going to even consider paying out on?
    M: If you want your claim assessed then yes.
    D: Well Mary, I'll speak to my employer and see if they'll grant the time off as you are working for your employer and obviously not working for me the POLICY PAYING CLIENT.

Any tips on what I can say or do when I do meet with this assessor?

thanks

Dubs

Stay calm and not kill her???
    Men have motorcycles while women have menstrual cycles, you can't talk to either while they are on it. The women's also has a sound, it goes nag-na-nag-nag-nag, biiiiiitch-bitch-biiiiiiiitch!

Comment

Bloody hell, what company are you with???

Boxes?? sheesh how many people keep them?? Manuals yes, photo's wearing the jewellery? must remember that one and have a photo taken with each new item, I have had all my major stuff evaluated by a reputable jeweller, I hope they would accept the evaluation cert (which includes a photo) of any of my stuff.

I have just been through a claim with my Landlord Insurance over the phone and email the required documentation, no pain. Haven't dealt wiht our own home insurance for a nubmer of years and of course hope never to.

Good luck with it all Dubs, will be intersting to see what and how it all develops

Comment

Stoney, here's a kicker for you, I spoke to a claims person yesterday, not my assigned person and a small part went like this:

D: yeh I have a photo valuation of one of the rings from a few years ago that valued it then at $1500
        SGIO: no that wont do Dubs we need a replacement certificate
        D: Sorry mate I dont understand, this is a jewellers valuation with the photo on the paper and everything.
        SGIO: Well as gold prices have fluctuated we need a current 'replacement certificate' to show the cost to replace it today
        D: So paying money to get jewellers valuations is not worth it for a claim?
        SGIO: not in this instance, we need a current 'replacement certificate' to show the cost to replace it today

ye yeh

Dubs

Comment

Fuck Dubs, Is there any chance of going to the Insurance Ombudsman at this point or is there more avenues that need going down first? Can you push this up to a manager in the claims department. I'd be furious enough with being robbed without being fucked over a second time by the insurer.
          Originally posted by Abuse this
          Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

In terms of them wanting to see proof of ownership - that's not unusual. You have to be able to prove that you actually owned the items, otherwise you could just claim that someone stole your bicycle, even though you never actually had one. Sounds fair to me. If you don't have the receipts, then what alternative is there to them asking for some sort of proof that you owned the stuff?

As for their operating hours - yeah it's annoying, but what can you do? If you had to go to a bank, you wouldn't ring them up demanding they open at 6pm. If you had to go to th Department of Transport, you'd have to go when they're open. What's the difference. As I say, yep it's really annoying and totally frustrating, but what can you do?

Comment

Had the same issue with my place in doubleview Dubs, and a crap insurerer that starts with a Q..

Got broken into twice in a couple of months
              got stung with the same shit, we won't come out out of hrs blah blah,

met with them the first claim, after a couple of unexplainable no shows, but they finally made it.
              went through the process handing over boxes etc, im a hoarder so that stuff was easy, jewellery was a pain, and had a sentimental chain and pendant replaced,
              only to be broken into afain and have all the same replacement stuff go and more.

had the same run around, i got jilted and just couldn't be fucked anymore and let it slide :/
              the old lady isn't happy with the service and is still trying to chase it up. I on the other hand am over it.

we pay their premiums and excesses, and seem to get no service for it (albeit after the claim is made getting toys back, but in 10 years of paying insurance on 2 houses and claiming once and trying to claim a second time i would have been better off not insuring and buying new toys and windows, but will still keep on with insurance incase i *touch wood* get totally cleaned out.)

Comment

Dubs pm sent
                Live life on the limit!!!

Holder of Man Card #009

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
                  D: Well Mary, I'll speak to my employer and see if they'll grant the time off as you are working for your employer and obviously not working for me the POLICY PAYING CLIENT.

Any tips on what I can say or do when I do meet with this assessor?

thanks

Dubs
                  Just invoice them for lost work time?

It seems a bit rich to ask you to be flexible, when they aren't willing to be flexible or even meet halfway.

I would be giving the insurance ombudsmen a quick call, just to see what they could potentially do to help.
                  Originally posted by polonY
                  Don't worry about shitting people off. Unless you ride a ninja 250 or a cbr250rrrrrr

Comment

Originally posted by Dubs View Post
                    Stoney, here's a kicker for you, I spoke to a claims person yesterday, not my assigned person and a small part went like this:

D: yeh I have a photo valuation of one of the rings from a few years ago that valued it then at $1500
                    SGIO: no that wont do Dubs we need a replacement certificate
                    D: Sorry mate I dont understand, this is a jewellers valuation with the photo on the paper and everything.
                    SGIO: Well as gold prices have fluctuated we need a current 'replacement certificate' to show the cost to replace it today
                    D: So paying money to get jewellers valuations is not worth it for a claim?
                    SGIO: not in this instance, we need a current 'replacement certificate' to show the cost to replace it today

ye yeh

Dubs
                    bah wah wah, so everytime gold moves in price you need to get a new certificate, fat chance, if anything my stuff would be worth more than a couple of years ago, so they would be paying out less IMHO

Originally posted by burlyoaf View Post
                    met with them the first claim, after a couple of unexplainable no shows, but they finally made it.

had the same run around, i got jilted and just couldn't be fucked anymore and let it slide :/
                    Mm I'd be very, very upset if they didn't turn up on time or not at all, why should I loose out on hundreds of dollars pay and not have them turn up or have them turn up late
                    Last edited by Stoneville; 25-11-2010, 01:19 PM.

Comment

From the SGIO Policy Booklet

"What happens when you make a claim
                      When you make a claim, we will:
                      ask you some questions over the phonetell you if you need to pay any excess and how to pay it.
                      We may organise help through our preferred repairers and suppliers.
                      Your responsibilities
                      When you make a claim, you have certain responsibilities. These responsibilities also apply to your family or any person that is
                      covered by your policy.
                      If you don’t meet these responsibilities, then we may not pay a claim in full, or we may decide not to pay it at all.
                      Co-operate
                      You must co-operate fully with us, even if we have already paid your claim. This may include:
                      providing us with all the information, documents and help we need to deal with your claimimmediately sending us any letters, notices
                      or court documents that you receive about any incident which has resulted, or mayresult in a claim against you
                      being interviewed by us
                      attending court to give evidence.
                      You must be truthful and frank in any statement you make to us.
                      Settle claims and make admissions
                      You must not:
                      attempt to settle a claim that is made against you without our permission, or make any admissions to anyone about any
                      incident covered by your policy
                      limit by agreement our rights to recover money from someone else.
                      Prevent further loss or damage
                      You must do everything reasonable to prevent further loss or damage to your home or contents.
                      Proof of loss and ownership
                      If we ask you to, then you must provide proof of ownership and value for any item included in your claim – for example
                      receipts, valuations or photographs.
                      Report to the Police
                      You must:
                      immediately report to the Police any theft,attempted theft, accidental loss, vandalism or malicious act, and give us any incident report number they give you.
                      Inspections and quotes
                      If we ask you, you must:
                      let us or our representative inspect your home or contents allow us to obtain quotations from any repairer or supplier."

I can't see you getting anywhere with the ombudsman at this stage. Play the game and ther poorly paid highly stressed claims officer will do the best they can for you.

Having spent several years in a claims department I can tell you it is no easy job.

cheers
                      Surly

Comment

Mention you are a member of staff on a forum website that has x0,000 members.

"This claim is being discussed. Would you like to be more flexible?"
                        May the force be a considerable distance behind you.

Comment

Originally posted by busa_bloke View Post
                          Mention you are a member of staff on a forum website that has x0,000 members.

"This claim is being discussed. Would you like to be more flexible?"
                          Mention it to someone high enough up the chain to give a shit and not that high that they contact the companies legal department

cheers
                          Surly

Comment

Surly and others, I re read the policy this morning, and TBH we made a verbal claim and "must provide proof of ownership included in the claim"

the thing is the company has not asked us for a "claim", they have asked us for a copy of the police report and we have provided them with that.
                            So far they have not asked us to provide a "claim" list for them.

Dubs

Comment

There was no middle ground and this morning she came over at 0740 - for an 0730 appointment...hmmm

BUT, they did cave on the jewellry thing, they only said I had to provide $1k worth of receipts because that's all they would pay.

I'll keep ya's posted on what they pay for, and dont pay for.

Dubs

Comment

Working...
                              X