Perth's growing up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perth's growing up.

The Perth Waterfront project has been given the go ahead.
    (Works have actually been going on for a while with soil testing and other prep).
    It will take two years before they are ready to build around / within it.
    More on the PWP
    Flythrough

I think if Perth intends to compete with Sydney and Melbourne, this is an important project. Hopefully it fosters a great atmosphere and brings that same Darling Harbour feel to Perth. It's evolved somewhat from the original designs and I think it looks a bit square now and has less character, but it's still a bit exciting.

Perth Airport redevelopment
    $500 million will be spent over the next 3 years to build new (yay, we'll have more than 1) and expand existing terminals, increase aircraft parking and public access infrastructure.

I think the plan is also to amalgamate domestic and international into the one building.

QANTAS also announced recently that they will be introducing their 747 and other widebody aircraft to some domestic flights due to increased visitor traffic to WA. More...
    Last edited by Rhino; 18-02-2011, 02:03 PM.

Who would have thought... WA Spending money on something other than Police, Hospitals and thinking about children.

Exciting times

Comment

Some links to more info added to first post.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
        QANTAS also announced recently that they will be introducing their 747 range of aircraft to some domestic flights due to increased visitor traffic to WA. More...
        Thats nothing new. They used to fly 747-300s on the Perth - Sydney route until they got rid of them not so long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR6 View Post
          Thats nothing new. They used to fly 747-300s on the Perth - Sydney route until they got rid of them not so long ago.
          'not so long ago' is quite some time ago.
          Would be around 10 years.

Comment

Just curious after all this brisbane flooding thing. Isnt this new foreshore redevelopment going ahead on reclaimed land etc?? SO if we had a mythical storm that dumped tons of water would it flood all this new crap they want to build?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
              'not so long ago' is quite some time ago.
              Would be around 10 years.

I flew in a 747 from Sydney to Perth with QANTAS back in 2007...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveR6 View Post
                Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                Guys, they're not talking about a 'share flight' on it's way OS.
                Dedicated, domestic, large aircraft.

I don't think they have EVER had that.

Comment

hurrah, the 767's are getting very long in the tooth, and are noisy old beasts. Plus the 737's always seem very cramped
                  For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                  For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by =Stevo= View Post
                    Did you see Sydney from that 747 at night?

Comment

The waterfront will never work.

End statement.
                      FEADCinc, PSB?

Comment

Originally posted by Seb View Post
                        Did you see Sydney from that 747 at night?
                        Only whilst making gravy......
                        Dead Man's Hand
                        Internationational Porter Protection Group
                        Just call me Pat

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post
                          Just curious after all this brisbane flooding thing. Isnt this new foreshore redevelopment going ahead on reclaimed land etc?? SO if we had a mythical storm that dumped tons of water would it flood all this new crap they want to build?
                          Perhaps, but the topography is quite a bit different and we aren't up near the tropics like they are.

And yes the foreshore area is reclaimed land and the CBD used to largely be wetlands in ye olde worlde days.

Personally I think if this goes ahead they need to come up with a workable alternative to closing Riverside Drive because redirecting all that traffic through the Northbridge Tunnel is just retarded. If that tunnel boring equipment they used to build the Perth-Mandurah railway is still around, they could sink riverside drive to go under it and link up with the Causeway.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm too cynical in my old age. While I accept that they are (finally) going to build something, I'm concerned that it will wind up just being a way to flog some land to big business, rather than opening up the foreshore and transforming the city. Unless they control the design of all the buildings around there, it'll just be an enclave for more office space, and absolutely dead after-hours.
                            "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

It could work, just do an yank-style flyover/raised thing around the back of it. I forget the word, Friday arvo and all.

I think the project could work, but it will be interesting to see how the final design turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X