Perth's growing up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
    As the big retailers die and everyone buys their shit online the spaces will open up for entertainment and specialty stores and venues. Imagine what you could turn the Myer building into, if you got rid of all the Myer?
    Something along the lines of the woolshed building in Freo?

Actually, Freo is the perfect example of just how long urban renewal takes. That place was a ghost town for decades, and only showed any signs of recovery in the 80's, mainly due to the Americas Cup.
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by barfridge View Post
      Something along the lines of the woolshed building in Freo?

Actually, Freo is the perfect example of just how long urban renewal takes. That place was a ghost town for decades, and only showed any signs of recovery in the 80's, mainly due to the Americas Cup.
      problem with Freo is that successive state governments have totally ignored it and not a cent has been spent on it since the America's Cup. The place is fucking derelict and shit...and it pains me to say that because i am a big freo fan.

Comment

Originally posted by steve&sue View Post
        Fundamentally, they have to fix these stupid, outdated, 1970's ideas on trading hours.....the rest of the world manages to do it, why the hell cant Perth!!!
        Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
        I don't believe the closing hours have much to do with it, there are plenty of joints which have the right to open on the weekends, but don't because there are just no people around. Especially in the evenings.

The problem has been identified and they are trying to bring in more residential apartment dwellers into the inner city to give it a population outside of business hours, If it works it will change the character of the city from a strictly business district to more of an entertainment and social district. If you know any old people, kindly tell them to shut the fuck up about the noisy café around the corner from their Townhouse.
        +1 While the trading hours may have a small impact it isn't the real problem IMO as the city is already classed as a special precinct and gets longer trading hours
        Even with longer hours you need staff to work those hours and ATM getting staff for a lot of restaurants/café's etc is not easy (I mean why would you want to work late nights/weekends etc for shit money) when you can go up north and earn more $$

Also as Mutiny said one advantage other cities have is a large residential population in the CBD to keep café's etc going, years ago when in Qld Brisbane was a lot the same, the CBD was dead after 6pm weekdays or during the weekends unless you were near a big hotel etc whereas the Gold Coast was 24/7 and that became a PITA after a while of being there

I for one would hate to live in high density areas whether in the CBD or elsewhere, I need some room to breath :o
        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
        Originally posted by Phildo
        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
        Originally posted by filbert
        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Para045 View Post
          I for one would hate to live in high density areas whether in the CBD or elsewhere, I need some room to breath :o
          It's kind of different though. Having lived in a big CBD (not Perth), I reckon I spent more time out and about doing stuff than I do now, living out of the city.

City life in my experience is extremely sociable. People have smaller places, so they tend not to entertain at home. So they go out and do stuff. Be it a quick catch up at the pub, a walk along the river, etc etc etc. They are always out doing stuff.

It's a different lifestyle to what 99% of people in Perth have/want. It is changing and thats a good thing. People rag on Perth CBD a hell of a lot, but there is actually a lot of things to do, lots of restaurants, bars, galleries, funky spots to sit and take things in.

Comment

Originally posted by shmoo View Post
            They are always out doing stuff... It's a different lifestyle to what 99% of people in Perth have/want... It is changing and thats a good thing.
            quite true.

Comment

City living will certainly increase and having this infrastructure will open the gates to more deregulation and help us to become bigger like other capital cities.

Growth takes time. Look around. We're building.

We complain when there is no forward thinking and in the same breath that we don't have the population to support it.

Smoking crack much?

Saw the new plans for Perth airport and the changes to Tonkin Hwy, Leach Hwy yesterday. Fly overs at the nearby major intersections and Leach will tunnel under it (height restrictions) and become the gateway to the Airport. Proposed rail link to the airport and extending suburbs. Looks good!

Spill over entries off Tonkin into the internal airport road as well so won't have to go down to Horrie Miller.

Comment

PTA is also investigating "special transport corridors" (or something like that) in a few places.
                Fitzgerald St out from the city, past ECU, up Grand Prom, heading for the Mirrabooka Bus Station
                Albany Hwy from Curtin to the city, then on to UWA
                Scarborough Beach Road out to ze beach

They could end up as nothing, or maybe some bus lanes, or maybe even light rail.
                Someone is investigating it though, that's what counts

Comment

Whats wrong with the Perth CBD foreshore just as it is?

May I draw your attention to the fact that everything Premier's (of past) have put on the foreshore turned out to be worse than fugly......
                  Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Originally posted by Hoon View Post
                    Whats wrong with the Perth CBD foreshore just as it is?

May I draw your attention to the fact that everything Premier's (of past) have put on the foreshore turned out to be worse than fugly......
                    if it were a botanical garden or something, i'd agree with you. But it's not. It's a massive strip of lawn. That's it. Despite what people claim - no one uses it. In fact the only use it gets is when that bloody circus pops their tent up for a few months.

Something should be done with it. As I said, if it was a botanical garden, i'd support that - but that wont happen because we already have Kings Park right in the city. So why not put the space to use? It is, after all, right in the middle of the CBD of a capital city.

Comment

Working...
                    X