Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prehistoric Social Networking – The CB Radio

For fear of showing my age….

Back when I was in my late teens, before the invention of the interwebs, my social networking used to be done through CB radio (27meg).

I used to spend hours on it after school or work, and then of course once I could drive and got my own wheels the first accessory that was fitted to the cage was the CB. My callsign was the “Desert Dueller Darren” (aka Tripple D) (…don’t be laffin!)...cos my vehicle was a 4WD with the infamous Brigestones on them, dahh.

Meeting up with complete strangers (“Eye ball”) and meeting new people was the thing to do in the evenings. Trolls existed on CB’s too of course, so you would make it your mission in life tracking them down (using the signal strength meter), finding their house, and then sticking a pin though their coax cable (which would join the inner and outer braids on their coax and do nasty things to their rigs), you know…all healthy stuff..

Instead of hanging out in the bike bays in scarbs to meet folks, CB’ers of course would go to the highest hills in Perth and hang out. Places like Wireless Hill in Ardross and Kings Park were the go to places in the evenings.

I met some great friends on the CB (and some F..an..Tas…ic woman), many of which are still my good friends today.

I also like to think that the dynamic of the CB is, in an obscure way, the Genesis of PSB, and the dynamic is reflected somewhat in what PSB is today. A public and accessable means of bringing like minded strangers together with a common interest.

So this question is directed I guess to the gen X’ers specifically and to some extent the tail end of the baby boomers…. Did you use the CB as a youngster? And if so, what was your call sign and MO?

So if anybody copies me, the Tripple D, QSY 24 on the 40, where there!

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

My call sign was once Tango 740

Comment

Tango 740, VKI...

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

Originally posted by Deej View Post
        Tango 740, VKI...
        Couldn't really get VKI back in my days of T740, not without the big aerial (which we usually left at base).

more like "Kal base this is Tango 740, following a commodore with 9 heads on board near Ninga Mia, no lights..."

Comment

Deej, the early years.

I was an astronomy nerd, but you radio nerds had some cool toys too.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
            Deej, the early years.
            Nah more like this:

Comment

only use it these days to pass time on loooonnngggg trips up here talking shit with other cars and truckies.

Comment

it was jut like trying to get laid on the net but with no visual stimulation, we had imaginations in the old days, used to be scanning channels for YL's looking for a good time
                National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

I still have an absolute ball faffing around on the radio when camping/4wd'ing. It's one of the great, simple sources of entertainment.

Comment

Played with CB's for a little while.

Called myself "the psycadelic banana"

Met a couple weirdo's through it and then got a night time job flogging the shit out of driving pizza cars.
                    I remember driving across some poor persons front lawn in Trigg chasing rabbits in a car with a big red phone on the roof.

That was more fun than cb's for me and i stopped.
                    sigpic

Comment

Gawd, the memories.

Had a home-made 1/4 wave mast n groundplane, had another little uniden that sat on a motorbike battery on my pushbike for eyeballs, had a couple of mates with licences and we'd also do the fox hunts with a yagi antenna.

I was one of the few of my mates in that scene who actually bothered getting a licence (required in the days). Never got as far as UHF and never really used the SSB half of the rig, when most of the interesting stuff was happening down in the bottom 20 channels.

No idea what my callsigns (official or unofficial) were - way too many drinks and too few brain cells since then.
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Oh those japes - you're all a real bunch of hams!
                        Click here to see my Ducati 999R in the PSB garage... You'll love it!

Don't click here to see my ZX9R aka The Ginger Ninja... there's no link!

Comment

I had a home made 1/2 wave horizontal dipole (made with car ignition coil copper wire and perspex insulators) from the sewer vent to the hot water riser above the house.

Made contacts from the top (we were only 1.5hrs drive from Qld) to the bottom of NSW, and a few overseas. Had a AM/SSB 27meg radio in my room.

Can't remember callsign, that was 35 years ago!
                          May the force be a considerable distance behind you.

Comment

Ah yes

KP, Swan Brewery/Mounts Bay Road, Point Walter, Wireless Hill.

Yobbo #somethingorother.

Memories of playing with ridiculous signal amplifiers and planting mast antennas in the river.

Comment

Originally posted by XSorXpire View Post
                              Played with CB's for a little while.
                              I remember driving across some poor persons front lawn in Trigg chasing rabbits in a car with a big red phone on the roof.
                              I was a Silvios Dial A Pizza boy once apon a time.

Still have a CB in the 4WD. Call sign the mobile D.
                              Came to my rescue after a car accident, long before mobiles were in everyones pockets. Managed to get hold of a fellow CBer to call the folks and come get me from the scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X