Yet another year of the Great Schoolie rip off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another year of the Great Schoolie rip off

Daughter and friends wanted to stay at a particular Busselton holiday village for Schoolies this year.
    Each Chalet sleeps 8 (luxury I doubt) - YES 8 People in Bunk beds
    Price per person $490.00 for 6 nights... YES $490.00 PER PERSON - NO MAID, NO DRIVER, NO BREAKFAST.No frills nothing - zip... Oh and plus a $300 bond each.

It looks like I may end up being the chaperone to a bunch of schoolies to Bali in November in disgust at the Gaul of Australian tourism companies
    Yes perhaps I would not want them staying in my chalet - but to charge $3920.00 for 1 chalet seems extreme + don't forget they will also hold a $2400.00 bond for any damages
    They wanted to book 3 chalets - all girls no mixed chalets..

And you wonder why we loose interest in touring our own country...
    We are not held back by who we are but by who we think we are not !!

That's cheap! Book it now!!! Edit: per person... Fuckthatinthearsedry, I'd be looming else where

I paid close to 800 for a patch of grass to park a Caravan on.

But yes, it's bullshit what they charge, but guess what, it's not stopping anyone from going, so maybe they have room to inflate prices some more.... It's called supply and demand
    The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

$81pp per night, sounds reasonable. I can understand the want for a bond being schoolies week.
      Originally posted by vk6hgr
      My Hyosung couldn't do that speed if it was dropped in from orbit.

Comment

When did 'schoolies' become a big thing? Surely in the last decade at most?

I've got to say, if I had a hospitality business I'd refuse to do business with schoolies. Nobody needs the hassle that badly. If kids need to blow off steam after highschool, the real world is going to eat them alive.
        such comment
        wow
        many post

Comment

I think it's more making the price unattractive and discouraging them from attending those locales.
          As Cam said... with the trouble a few stir up (well a lot) why attract it to your doorstep?

How much is it for an adult to book out the place?
          Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
          One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
          . .

Comment

Normal "Peak" season rate is $240 / night for the chalet, not per person....

The "Special" Schoolies rate is $650 / night for the chalet approx 275% rate increase.

I accept the reason for the bond but 275% is just a rip off to the max
            We are not held back by who we are but by who we think we are not !!

Comment

Originally posted by Fernandez View Post
              Yes perhaps I would not want them staying in my chalet
              And there you have it.

Comment

If you dont book it someone else will. Im sure the owner doesn't give a rats wazoo about his 275% increase annoying people because someone is bound to pay it.

As someone said its all about supply/demand. Dont like it protest with your wallet and go somewhere else like you plan to.

Comment

I dunno, I reckon it would be pretty easy to manage to do more than the bond in damage through drunken schoolie antics. Price rise is better than them simply saying no, you can't stay here - that's what I would do.
                  Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                  Originally posted by filbert
                  it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

who cares how much it costs... your kids are paying for it, right?

not you, like a sucker? right?

Schoolies is inflated prices because 10% of the kids run amuck, go crazy and break shit. As for the 'why Schoolies?' thing Cam, if you were 17 and had the chance to spend a week drinking and partying with a bunch of guys and girls... wouldn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fernandez View Post
                      Normal "Peak" season rate is $240 / night for the chalet, not per person....

The "Special" Schoolies rate is $650 / night for the chalet approx 275% rate increase.

I accept the reason for the bond but 275% is just a rip off to the max
                      So go somewhere else?

And you wonder why we loose interest in touring our own country...
                      what does schoolies week have to do with touring the country?

Comment

Before passing judgement, how about you ask the chalet owners what happened last year during leavers. I have friends and colleagues who own holiday houses down south and all reported damage last year after leavers by renting them out. There was not one that returned 100% of the bond.

There were broken windows, broken glasses, broken doors, stains on furniture and carpets, dents in walls, even from memory a broken clothes-line. All in the 1-2 weeks leavers runs for.
                        :stupid:

Comment

A good american tradition introduced to Australia....
                          SP RACINGis supported by:
                          MSC Safe Co.com.au S&K Mineservices.com.au
                          Motorcycle Panel and Paint.com.au Metroframing.com.au
                          Jaguarsteelfabrications.com.au DiLena.com.au

Comment

It's like Africa, you can't discriminate, so you just price undesirables out of the market.

And to a hotel owner, there is nobody more undesirable than a bunch of dunk kids.
                            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
                              When did 'schoolies' become a big thing? Surely in the last decade at most?

I've got to say, if I had a hospitality business I'd refuse to do business with schoolies. Nobody needs the hassle that badly. If kids need to blow off steam after highschool, the real world is going to eat them alive.
                              yr showin yr age
                              really imported from over east, Sydney kids going to Surfers to play up after finishing the HSC. Really only been big over here for ten years or so. EVERYWHERE charges big for schoolies, and I don't blame them. They cause damage, and tend to really piss off anyone else unfortunate enough to be staying at the same time. It has developed into a real sense of entitlement-and yes, they think high school was THAT hard. Fools.^_^ the reality comes very soon after.
                              ranmar850
                              Last edited by ranmar850; 15-03-2011, 10:10 AM.
                              " Lightly Seared On The Reality Grill"

Comment

Working...
                              X