Police say 'careless general public' to blame for burglary spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police say 'careless general public' to blame for burglary spree

LOCAL police have a crime spree on their hands with almost 700 burglaries and vehicle thefts reported since the beginning of the year.

And they say a careless general public is to blame.

Sergeant Bob O’Sullivan, officer in charge of the North West Metro crime prevention team, said “the apathy of the general public is disgraceful”.

“The message we are continually putting out there to lock up is not working as burglars are still just walking through unlocked doors,” he said.

“They are locating car keys that are just lying around… we had a case the other night where someone’s keys were stolen from their bedside table while they slept.”

Wanneroo police officer in charge Chris Ruck has similar sentiments.

“We had two reports of stolen property just the other day and the complainants had left the back door of the car open; people need to make it as hard as possible for thieves to target them.”

Sgt Ruck launched Operation Milman this week in an effort to stem the surge of burglaries in Banksia Grove and surrounding areas.

“We’re taking a proactive approach and making an intense push to try and identify the people involved in these crimes,” he said.

Sgt Ruck said the burglaries were shared between only a small group of criminals.

There were more than 380 residential burglaries and more than 140 vehicle thefts reported in the cities of Wanneroo and Joondalup from January 2 to February 27.

In comparison, it took the low-crime western suburbs seven months last year to reach similar figures.

Marangaroo homes were hit hardest by burglars with an average of one incident reported almost every second day.

Girrawheen and Quinns Rocks were the most targeted for vehicle thefts and averaged more than one stolen vehicle a week.

Girrawheen businesses bore the brunt of commercial burglaries with a costly average of one incident almost every two days.

This was double the rate suffered by next hardest-hit suburb Wangara.

Sgt O’Sullivan said there was a “traditional increase” in burglaries during summer but the carelessness of the public this year had been “shocking”.

“Remember if you leave your doors and windows open, you let more than just a cool breeze in,” he said.

“Report all incidents and suspicious activity to police.”

A Royal Automobile Club spokeswoman said insurance companies might not cover goods stolen from unlocked homes and cars and advised people to use sufficient security measures.

“The RAC advises homes be fitted with door and window locks, security screens and an alarm system to minimise the risk of burglary,” she said.
    from here

Police say 'careless general public' to blame for burglary spree - inMyCommunity - Perth, Western Australia

isn't that a bit like saying girls who dress provocatively are to blame for rape?
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Tough shit, you brought this on yourselves? That's the official police response?

Fuck sake, if you can't make money off it using a camera, they simply don't care any more, do they?

This makes me coldly furious.
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

hehe. kinda the response I expected

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
          isn't that a bit like saying girls who dress provocatively are to blame for rape?
          This.

FUCK you, WAPOL, you useless bag of stinking, festering, diseased and ulcerated cunts.
          "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I guess Kawasaki is to blame for my speeding tickets then
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Starfish View Post
              stinking, festering, diseased and ulcerated cunts.
              Thats my least favourite kind of cunt.

Its just getting pathetic now.
              People just arent being discouraged from criminal activities anymore. And the people who are getting caught are getting a little slap and being told to stop it, because thats naughty and not aloud.
              WAPOL grow a pair and take resposability.
              A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Comment

However, If you want a secure yard that is monitored... Naughty.

Coffin Cheater bikies pull down Bayswater fortress walls | Perth Now
                Originally posted by Desmogod
                Nobody was bagging scooters, they were bagging you.

Comment

Originally posted by timmay View Post
                  However, If you want a secure yard that is monitored... Naughty.

Coffin Cheater bikies pull down Bayswater fortress walls | Perth Now
                  Hahahaha, well played sir.
                  Originally posted by Melkor
                  The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Fuck you Bob O’Sullivan.

Comment

Wanneroo police officer in charge Chris Rock has similar sentiments.
                      Everybody hates Chris.

Comment

From the burglary article.

The message we are continually putting out there to lock up is not working as burglars are still just walking through unlocked doors
                        From the Bikie article.

The gang was also ordered to remove the small front gate and replace it with steel mesh and an unlockable gate so the courtyard and public areas is accessible.

Fuck me dead, bring on the Zombie Whorepocalypse I say.
                        My mum always used to say, when life hands you lemons "kill mob within spell duration with a soul gem of adequate quality for the mob's level to trap its soul"

Comment

So the courtyard and public areas is accessible ..?

Learn2english, police reporter Nicole Cox.

Comment

Everytime the cops go to 65 Warton rd to get the stolen scooters and other gear from there, which is weekly, they dont take people away. So they know who steals them but they dont arrest them, and even if they do they walk away from the courts because they had a hard life.

This is simply aanother bullshit response.
                            Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                              Tough shit, you brought this on yourselves? That's the official police response?

Fuck sake, if you can't make money off it using a camera, they simply don't care any more, do they?

This makes me coldly furious.
                              Geez, man. That's the kind of position that you hate news.com.au taking. Yes, he said that they brought it on themselves*. But he never said
                              Originally posted by BarfRAAAAAAAAAAAGE
                              Tough shit
                              The insurance companies said that. Nowhere does it say that the police will do less for you if you leave your door unlocked than anyone else.

*I think it's more or less true, incidentally.
                              '====
                              //`
                              -Magilla
                              They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
                              Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Working...
                              X