X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting article on Piracy

And how skewed there figures are.

Piracy: are we being conned?

Note : please don't turn this into a torrent invite thread, it is merely an interesting article on the lies told by the music and movie industry because they refuse to change there business model to suit the way things are today.
    Last edited by r0gue; 23-03-2011, 05:49 PM.

This shouldn't be surprising to anyone. The media companies always assume 100% conversion rate for illegal downloads -> sales. Utter bullcrap to say the least. The entertainment industry is still posting profit growth.

"Piracy" isn't theft, anyway. It's copyright infringement, which is legally entirely different.
    '====
    //`
    -Magilla
    They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
    Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
      "Piracy" isn't theft, anyway. It's copyright infringement, which is legally entirely different.
      Yes, but how many people understand the delineation?

Comment

Few enough that the RIAA/MPAA can still get away with this rubbish, unfortunately.
        '====
        //`
        -Magilla
        They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
          Yes, but how many people understand the delineation?
          APRA
          AMCOS
          PPCA
          ACIG
          MIPI
          RIAA
          ASTRA
          AFACT

Not that they bother making the distinction in their literature ...
          Originally posted by Melkor
          The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

An article from the London school of Economics and Political Science reckons it's a bit of a con-job as well..LSE_MPPbrief1_creative_destruction_and_copyright_p rotection
            “The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. - W Churchill”

Comment

A good real world case study as to how the industry is really not all that affect by piracy in the long run, is the movie Taken.
              It had a massively staggered release schedule and had in fact been available on DVD in Europe ans Asia for nearly 6 months before it's theatrical release in the United states. It went on to gross over 120 million stateside despite the fact anybody wishing to download it had been doing so for half a year before it's release. If you make a product people want to see/hear (I wont use the word quality!) and market it well, you will make money from it
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Record Industry: Limewire Could Owe $75 Trillion – Judge: “Absurd”

Comment

75 Trillion Dollars

Comment

I'd still download a car if I could

Dubs

Comment

It's the studios' own fault. Blackbeard, Yellowbeard, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. People grow up with the knowledge that pirates are cool and want to participate. If they simply rename 'Piracy' to 'Turtle felching' illegal downloads will stop overnight. Unless Disney releases an upbeat turtle felching movie of course, then it's back to square one.
                      "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by JuanPablo View Post
                        Unless Disney releases an upbeat turtle felching movie of course, then it's back to square one.
                        So would Teenage Mutant Turtle Felchers be the likely outcome and would that be considered "kiddie pr0n"?
                        #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                        Originally posted by Phildo
                        Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                        Originally posted by filbert
                        i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                        Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                          Whilst I wouldn't dispute your assertion about the technicallity of theft v copyright infringement, what I would say is that if you invested your career in creating music and you published it for sale, you would probably consider people who download it without paying for it 'thieving bastards'

If you want to watch/listen to something that someone has produced, then pay for it. If you think it is too expensive and that the media companies are lining their pockets, then vote with your pocket and don't buy it. Don't hide behind the "It's only copyright infringement" argument.

I would agree that the media companies do need to come up with a different model for charging for their products, I just can't see what that should be, and it would seem that neither can they.
                          Adventure before Dementia

Comment

I'm not hiding behind anything. I have very little in the way of TV shows/movies/music that I don't have a license for, AND is available in Australia through regular retail channels. I do get annoyed that, because I buy the official DVD, I have to sit through 2 minutes of anti-piracy FUD, where I wouldn't have to if I'd downloaded it, but that's a different complaint altogether.
                            '====
                            //`
                            -Magilla

Comment

Sorry, didn't mean 'You' personally, it was a general you, as in everyone out there.

Completely agree with the anti-piracy message DO NOT WANT.
                              Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Working...
                              X