Stormwater Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stormwater Advice

Can anyone give me some advice? Our house is approximately 310m sq and we have 9 downpipes. We have room for soakwells down both sides, front and back of the house

I've checked some websites for quotes and every company I've spoke to say its nonsense.

Is 600mm concrete soakwell per downpipe is enough? Or just put one of those big wells in front and rear?

I had a quote for $2600 including pipe work and 2 big wells (front and rear). Is this reasonable price?

I'm kind of looking forward to doing this but want to make sure that I don't have problems in the future when we get a heavy downpour. We're in a very sandy area so I think that should be favourable for drainage. Any advice would be appreciated
    You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

I put the plastic ones from Bunnings in at my place - one per downpipe and all is good. Good if you've got sand to dig into, I hit limestone about 500mm down and it took ages, but worth it in the end.
    I've got a Blade, I'm not afraid...

CBR1000RR - 171HP|114Nm|Yoshi CF Slipon WRX STI - 266HP|399Nm|Ultrex 3"TBE|PW CAI

Comment

There is actually some specs somewhere that recommend how many soakwells (and size) you should have for a given roof area, cant remember where I saw it though, do a google search for it.

Depends what you are doing with the ground, paving or just grass ?

I would say 1 per downpipe at the very least. I would avoid just using two big soak wells, kind of creates a big problem is you ever have an issue with one of them cos you've got nowhere to go. Best to think of worst case senario in my opinion, thats when you want it to work right ??? Its a bit more work but I think its better to seperate them all out to ease the load of drainage. Having said that if you are paving an area which is likely to collect a bit of water I would be putting two 600mm ones side by side and linking them. I had to do this for an area at my place as there is no run off, other than into the garage and the area is all paved. Even on those days we had last year that had massive downpours it seemed to just cope ok with it and not flood the garage. It used to flood all the time before with only one soakwell per two down pipes (That's what the dopey builder installed)

Unless you are going to have cars or something heavy on that area, avoid the concrete soakwells, they dont drain that well. The plastic ones are fine. Put heaps of blue metal below and around the soakwells too. Increases the capacity of them and prevents sand getting in. Oh and put the drainage sock on them too, this helps with the sand and greenery getting into them!
      Last edited by Mr_FJ; 26-03-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

dont forget to drill a large hole at bottom of downpipe just in case soakwell cant deal with a huge deluge.Then again,what is rain?

Comment

Anyone used this system? any feedback please?

What are Polypropylene Soakwells?
          Soakwell Solutions installs Trafficable Polypropylene AusdrainAustralianmade Soakwells. These Soakwells have brackets locked into the centre of the Soakwell this disallows the Soakwells to collapses and its totally cover with holes so a very unlikely chance of overflowing unlike other cheaper soakwells, They can be connected with a grates or connected straight up, totally up to the customer.

The soakwells have any anti leeching sock around the soakwell to disallow sand to enter the Soakwell.
          Soakwells will quite literally last a lifetime, once they are in place they are there for good. You then create your garden as you would normally, with no need to make allowances for your soakwells, you won’t even know they are there!

Fitting the necessary soakwells in your garden or plot, can be a job for a qualified plumber, all the pipework from your downpipes needs to be properly sealed together to prevent leaks, and the subsequent undermining of your slab, that these leaks could cause.

Recycled Polypropylene Soakwell Advantages:
          •Suitable for use under trafficable areas
          •Extra large unit tank capacity
          •Interlock vertically and horizontally for maximum ability
          •Easy on-site assembly
          •Geotextile cover to stop sand leeching
          •Using 100% recycled polypropylene material

Do it Yourself Soakwells | DIY Soakwells - Soakwell Solutions
          You know what you get for being a hero? Nothing. You get shot at. A little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy. You get divorced. Your wife can't remember your last name. Kids don't wanna talk to you. Get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy

Comment

Please do not use the plastic ones from bunnings, they will eventually collapse.
            We sell a plastic Soakwell that is rated to 4.5 ton for the standard Soakwell, and 9 ton for the trafficable.
            They are stronger than the concrete Soakwells, and have a faster flow rate of water dispersed.
            Double the price of the bunnings Soakwells, but will last forever, and they are so lite, you can install them yourself.

Edit : the propylene is what we sell.
            Last edited by r0gue; 26-03-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Why not a couple of water tanks? Activated charcoal filter takes out impurities, leaving sweet clean water for drinking. At the very least can be used for gardens.
              "Son, could you please remove my MAD sig?"

Sure mum, here you go....

Comment

Originally posted by r0gue View Post
                Please do not use the plastic ones from bunnings, they will eventually collapse.
                We sell a plastic Soakwell that is rated to 4.5 ton for the standard Soakwell, and 9 ton for the trafficable.
                They are stronger than the concrete Soakwells, and have a faster flow rate of water dispersed.
                Double the price of the bunnings Soakwells, but will last forever, and they are so lite, you can install them yourself.
                are they the same as Polypropylene Soakwells

Comment

I planned 2 water tanks but they are very expensive. nearly $2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr D View Post
                    are they the same as Polypropylene Soakwells

Yes this is what we have.
                    Worth every cent, once installed you will never have a problem with them.

Comment

Yes this is what we have.
                      Worth every cent, once installed you will never have a problem with them.
                      any discount for PSB members

Comment

any discount for PSB members
                        Our margin is tiny on these, but i could probably work something out.

Comment

Our margin is tiny on these, but i could probably work something out.
                          How much do you sell them for?

Comment

How much do you sell them for?
                            $75 each (4.5 ton model), includes the sock.

Comment

$75 each (4.5 ton model), includes the sock.
                              I got a quote of $130 installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X